WT practice of misquoting scholars

by kj 16 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• kj
    kj

I need some help- can anyone give me the names of scholars that the WT frequently misquote, maybe even links to show the true context of some of the misquotes. Thanks in advance.

kj

• jschwehm
  • kj
    kj

Thanks! That is a pretty thorough list.

kj

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

..... which has been treated in a thread here earlier, and found not to be impressing, to say the least. Mixing of what is stated in the paragraphs to be facts and what is opinions, so that a picture is created which is as wrong as one claims the WT has done ......

• kj
    kj
    ..... which has been treated in a thread here earlier, and found not to be impressing, to say the least. Mixing of what is stated in the paragraphs to be facts and what is opinions, so that a picture is created which is as wrong as one claims the WT has done ......

I'm curious, can you give a specific example? For the most part, the WT appears to have quoted some of these people in support of their view, when in fact the authors have the opposite view.

kj

• VM44
    VM44

Read this by AlanF. --VM44

Interview With A Watchtower Society AuthorOn Wednesday, 27 August 1997, I met with Harry Peloyan for about 1 1/2 hours in the lobby of the 25 Columbia Heights Bethel office in Brooklyn, New York. My purpose was to discuss problems with the ?Creation? book with him, since he is its main author. This is my recollection of the discussion and events leading up to it. Alan Feuerbacher On Tuesday, 26 August, I took tours of the Bethel printing plant at 117 Adams St. and the office building at 25 Columbia Heights. Around 4:00 p.m. I asked at the 25 Columbia Heights lobby desk to see Peloyan. The desk clerk informed me that he had not been in the office that day due to his having physical therapy and having felt poorly. The clerk told me to try coming back the next day, which I did.

The next day I toured the 360 Furman St. building (shipping) in the morning, then showed up at the 25 Columbia Heights building about 1:15 p.m. I again asked to see Peloyan, but he was not at his desk. The clerk asked me to wait for awhile, so I sat in the lobby while he dealt with a dozen or so large tours, mostly groups of Chicago JWs. After the tours were all launched I again approached the clerk, who said he had forgotten about me. By this time it was nearly 2:30 p.m. The clerk made phone calls while I waited and within a few minutes informed me that Peloyan would be down to see me. He showed up a few minutes later.

explained that I was by no means an evolutionist and most certainly accepted God's creatorship. This calmed him down, but he said that I was still in no position to criticize the book because I obviously didn't accept the Society's version of reconciling Genesis and geology. It was lost on him that the Society is no more in a position to claim that it is right about that stuff than are the young-earth creationists, but I figured I'd better not point that out just then.

these ideas and probably had been for a good many years, since the same misconceptions appear in mid-1960s WTS literature. He would not accept that the 19th-century reports of enormous numbers of "intact frozen animals" were greatly exaggerated, but did acknowledge that they might be

a little bit overblown. I mentioned the Berezovka mammoth and he was completely familiar with it. I tried to discuss details but he pushed the conversation into another "you're just an evolutionist" sort of personal attack. Later I pointed out the "Blue Babe" frozen bison from Alaska, and

that its having been eaten by lions while it was freezing pretty much demolished all notions of "enormous numbers of frozen mammoths" in the arctic. He refused to acknowledge this, however, saying that one case doesn't prove anything. I told him to read the account of this bison in _Frozen

Fauna of the Mammoth Steppe_.

when in college, I tried to write papers defending the Society's view of the Flood and creation, and how when I looked up the references in various WTS publications I found that they were unusable. He again tried to accuse me of not accepting the references because of my prejudice, but I pointed out that was not true because the very purpose of writing the papers was to defend the Society's views. He had no comment on that, and so we changed the subject.

He seemed to take some
    delight in the idea of using evolutionist's words against them in this manner, as if it served them right for being so pigheaded. In other words, he and other WTS writers think that the end justifies the means.

rather upset at the implication that he and other WTS writers would actually lie to defend God, and launched into a defense by saying that these writers would ?never? do such a thing, even though they might make mistakes every

once in a while. I said that I accepted this, but the fact that the Society has had many such errors pointed out but failed to correct them showed that they indeed had some spirit of being "deceivers for God." I illustrated this by

telling him that I and others I knew had written to the Society about certain errors and that the Society either did not reply, or refused to acknowledge them. He hemmed and hawed about this.

building. I thought the conversation was over, but when we got near the main entrance he got friendlier and we kept talking.

going to admit to a real problem.

killed every year. In which place would you rather live? The one where the risk of getting killed was one in 10,000 or where it was one in 100? Furthermore, which one could be said to have the worse murder problem?" Again Peloyan refused to answer but it was obvious that he got the point.

the man is.

mistakes, so that the Society is talking out of both sides of its mouth with this argument and being grossly hypocritical. However, I kept my mouth shut.

much too hardnosed. I said that some of the recent ?Watchtower? articles on elders were very good on this. I figured it was best not to point out, however, that the state of elders today is a direct result of them being trained by the Society during the past 25 years, so what else could the Society expect? It was reaping what it had sowed.

• VM44
    VM44

Notice the highlighted material in red!

This text was copied from the Watchtower Observer site

http://watchtower.observer.org/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040309/HISTORY/204007

--VM44

• kj
    kj

Thank you Cityfan and VM44. Very interesting stuff.

kj

• ballistic
    ballistic

Sir Fred Hoyle quoted in the evolution book lived in my teritory before he died, and stated categorically that he was misquoted by the WTS for their own purposes.

• kj
    kj

I knew about the many misquotes in the Trinity booklet, I had no idea about the Creation book. The depths to which they sink never cease to amaze me. Thanks again to everyone who replied.

kj

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit