Wondering whether or not to join the Air Force

by Patrick_Ryan 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Patrick_Ryan
    Patrick_Ryan

Hello,

I'm new here and I have some questions about joining the Air Force or not. I'm 21 years old, I was raised as a Jehovah's Witness but stopped going when I was 13 because I was a kid and thought it was boring (like school). Even after I quit going I still done things that were right or I tried to still live by what I was taught and I'm greatful that I was raised that way because it kept me out of a lot of trouble and made me who I am today. I have never done drugs, nor do I smoke and drink. The eight years that I've been away from the truth I've always felt that something was missing. No matter how happy I was with what I had, I would still find myself depressed about something. I started going back to the Kingdom Hall after my brother came here from Texas to stay with us (who used to be a Witness but is trying to get reinstated) because he convinced me that we are truly in the last days now. When I was a kid I didn't notice it nor did I care but now it's more evident and it scares me. Six months before my brother arrived I talked to an Air Force recruiter because I wanted a change in my life. I felt like I was stuck here, I screwed up in school when I was a kid and didn't care too much about going onto college so the Air Force sounded great. It promised to give me a change, a chance to be on my own, to get away from my family and their problems (my fathers drinking, mothers cheating, and younger brother with his drugs), to be a part of something with a good cause behind it, to better myself mentaly, physically, financially, and to gain confidence and pride, security, steady paycheck, free and/or cheaper things, new experiences, travel, an exciting job with responsibility. I thought I wasn't capable of doing anything else. Also, my father was in the A.F. for 9 years. I know that when given the chance and knowledge I can apply myself and be the best at it. I was going to join in Janurary but I didn't want to go straight in after being away from school for so long because I knew what they would have done with me, they would have made me a cook or stuck me with some job that I wouldn't get anywhere with. So I took some classes at the community college here and got to learn about electronics and reviewed some math that I'd forgotten. I took the ASVAB (Armed Services Vocation Applitude Battery) test in May and scored really well. I qualified for 75% of the jobs, 3 out of 4 catagories. The week after I went to MEPS (Military Entrance Processing Station) and took the physical and passed that and then I had to swear in. I remember feeling really quilty when I swore in, it felt like saying the pledge of allegiance. When I was a kid I knew not to and the reason why not to. But I had to swear in because it was all part of the process. I remember saying what they told me to say but after I said it, in my mind I was mocking it and telling myself that I didn't mean it and I really didn't feel it in my heart and I still had that guilt.

After that was all finished, I chose a job from which I qualified for and they gave me a date on which I'll be leaving for basic training. The date is October 2nd and if there is a job opening before then, I have a chance to take it or wait.

Later my brother shows up and starts showing me how we're close to the end and there are signs all over telling me it's true. Japan is building up military defences and China and Russia are up to something which I can't remember right now and the U.S. is confident in thinking it's safe and that nothing will happen but I do sense something will go down. Sometimes the news would show people rioting in other countries because those people are againt world globalization and the U.N. which seems to become more prominent now, like it's stepping up and wanting to govern.

If I do decide to go, I'd have to swear in one more time to make it official. Right now I'm in the DEP (Delayed Entry Program) and waiting for my job to open up. It would give me a chance to get on with my life and I'll have a great job and a fun one at that. I'll be a Tactical Aircraft Maintenance Mechanic and a Crew Cheif. I'll be in charge of at least five other people and it would be something I've always wanted to do, be a team leader and work on things with my hands.

BUT, in my heart it doesn't feel right. The last time I spoke with my recruiter I told him that my job would not be too different from the one whose job it is to make the shells for bullets. He may not be the guy who pulls the trigger and sends the bullet into the other man but is he not just as guilty since he is contributing? I would feel horrible knowing that my job is to keep jets in the air so that they can bomb someone else. The recruiter tells me the A.F. is not some giant "killing machine" and that it also does peace keeping missions as well. True, but the way the world works is that in order to gain peace it must destroy something first or intimidate. That still doesn't feel right.

The reason I want to stay is mainly not to anger Jehovah nor would I want to go against him in anyway. I feel that joining the Air Force is the same as joining Satans side since, after all, it is part of the world and part of a man-made government. Also, I want to stay for my family. Instead of running from the problems here I need to help them, not just with payments like I've been doing but I need to get my father to quit drinking, my mother to ditch her boyfriend and get reinstated, younger brother to quit doing drugs, plus, he doesn't want me to leave. I don't trust politicians. Even the recruiter was telling me ways to cheat on the ASVAB and lie when I go to the MEPS just so I won't get disquilified for anything. I had nothing to lie about anyway but still, this is at the recruiter level and already I'm being taught how to cheat and lie. Also I have a problem with conforming. My whole life basically I've been a loner, I've never followed trends nor did I do what the other kids have done. I liked individual sports and took up boxing in 10th grade but eventually quit. I didn't care too much for team sports, I had problems following. I used to think it was a bad thing until a co-worker whose older than I am said to me that those who don't follow, lead. Which is true because back in highschool I was 19 while a few students were not much older than 17 (it took me 5 years to graduate), instead of being a bad bully and picking on weaker kids, I was sort of a good bully because I stood up for the weaker kids and picked on the bad bullies. I stuck up for my younger brother all the time since he was a freshmen.

Back to what I was getting at. If I don't join the Air Force, my life would be back to how it's been. I'll still be living at home with a crummy job, living in the same area and being pretty much miserable and not really applying myself. I spent too much time and money preparing myself for the service too. It would be throwing all that away if I don't go. Is there anyway I can do both things? Would Jehovah be upset if I go ahead and join or would he understand and forgive me if I do? I've heard things about Bethal but what would I have to do to get in there? Would it give me the same things the A.F. can? I don't know what to do. I feel if I stay then nothing would change, my life would go nowhere. Would Jehovah see what I gave up and somehow give me something close to it?

I sometimes feel that since it is only four years that I can do that and then comeback and continue being a witness. Contrary to that, I feel that the end may come and that if I do join, I won't be in the new system. I feel I'm really making a life and death situation. In order for me to live later and forever I must give up what could have been a good life now. I feel that this is how I'm being tested and that Satan has tried all else and knows he can't win with me by doing anything else. Like I mentioned earlier I don't smoke, drink, do drugs, nor do I fornicate or do other immoral things. I always felt that since this is who I am, I may as well be a witness again. How long does it take usually for one to get baptized? I want to get baptized but how would I go about having it done?

The recruiter went on vacation for a month and he didn't know I changed my mind until just before he left. He was pretty shocked. It doesn't make since to him the reasons why I don't want to join now. Sometimes it doesn't make since to me as well, but it feels like the right thing to do, also the best thing. He wants me to make a list of the reasons why I wanted to join the A.F. and now why all of a sudden I've changed my mind. Everytime I think about the reasons why not to, I always feel that, yes, they are good reasons and it will please Jehovah, but, like I said, my life will remain stagnant and that I would constantly be wishing for the new system to hurry up and come, and for Jehovah to hurry up and get it over with because what else could Satan possibly do to make this world any worse than what it has already become?

I appreciate any input at all from anyone who cares to respond, it would help me immensely with the decision I have to make and I ask for no one to decide for me because that would be something I'd have to do on my own. Thank you!

• Fredhall
    Fredhall

Patrick,

You will not be bored in the Air Force while peeling potates.

• Englishman
    Englishman

Patrick,

My concern for you is that you may be looking to the Air Force as some sort of replacement for the WTBTS.

No offence, but the WT does superficially provide some people with a lot of answers. True, they don't stand up to scrutiny, but many people miss the leadership when they leave the JKW's and flounder around.

For what it's worth, I wish that I had joined our RAF when I left the JW's at 26, even if it is a fighting force. My son from my first marriage has just completed 12 years in the Army with the 9/12 Lancers, he's decided to pursue something similar in Civvie Street and has joined the Police Force. He maintains that the services at least make a man of most guys.

Good luck, whatever you decide,

Englishman.

..... fanaticism masquerading beneath a cloak of reasoned logic.

• Big Jim
    Big Jim

Patrick
    FredHall is the local idiot on this board. Just ignore him, we believe he is probally a little retarded so do not let his foolishness concern you.

And to answer your question; if you were to join the Air Force just make sure that you take full advantage of all the good that can come from it like college, on the job training etc. If you do that you will probally be glad you joined.

• Fredhall
    Fredhall

Jim,

I might be local, but your are an idiot.

• JeffT
    JeffT

First don't listen to the nonsense about the end is coming soon. They've been saying that for over one hundred years. The Biblical "sign" they use is a misinterpretation of scripture.

One of my wife's relatives joined the Air Force a couple of years ago. He and his wife are now on Okinawa and have never been happier. He may make a career of it, but if he doesn't he's gotten a ton of free training to be a jet engine mechanic. Most military jobs are very technical and provide excellent on the job training, plus you get money for college etc.

I know this is a new thought to you but serving your country is a good and honorable job, and it is taken much to lightly these days.

• noidea
    noidea

Patrick,

You sound like you may be in a situation that I am in.
    No relationship with Jehovah.
    Could that be what is what is missing?
    Being raised in an imperfect org. as the WBTS. We are constantly told to seek Jehovah have a relationship with him and rely on him.
    I have been my whole life, been told what to do and how to do it.
    I took no time to stop and smell the roses. (Develop a relationship with Jehovah on my own and learning what has been done for us through Jesus).

The eight years that I've been away from the truth I've always felt that something was missing.

When we think we are in the "truth" we think we automatically develop a relationship. NOT TRUE. For years I have prayed and still felt empty. why? I have asked Jehovah for help why could I not feel anything.
    I have just figured out that the WBTS and Jehovah are not the same.
    They can give you guidance through the bible but they can not give you a relationship with Jah. or everlasting life.
    If they can't give it . They also can't take it away.
    Going to the Hall (I said hall not hell) lol,
    is like going to school.
    The teachers (elders)are mostly arrogant assholes.
    The fellow students (cong.) mostly assholes.
    But what is in the Book (the Bible) That is what is important.
    If you want that relationship you have to take it.
    No one, and I mean no one can give it to you.
    It is something you will have to do all by yourself, and will be the hardest thing you will ever have to do.
    If you feel that something is missing and you feel guilty. Re-examine why you feel that way.
    Is it because you have been taught that way, or is it (you) wanting to know what is right or what is wrong. (You may find out you don't even want a relationship with him. That is your decision he gave you that free-will)
    I have really been so confused lately, to the point of being physically sick. All I can do at this point is try and take my own advice and that is just what it is advice.

I really feel for you. I know what it is to not only suffer by being confused but also depression.

We may feel that way because we haven't learned self survival we have always relayed on someone or something else for our answers. Answers also can't be taught but learned.

Whatever you decide will be up to you.
    There are no easy answers anyone can give you.
    There are so many wonderful people on this board, You will receive allot of advice, Only you know how your heart is feeling.
    I know this sounds lame even as I write it I'm thinking lame, lame, lame.

Take your time! you have a little before a final decision has to be made. Use it wisely you have your whole life ahead of you. Wherever there is a choice there is a consequence...

• urkel
    urkel

Go ahead Join the Air FOrce, Learn to fly! Remember, Cornelius was an active duty memeber of the Roman Legions when he was baptized.

I think Yerusalyim is the best poster on the board.
    URKEL

• Francois
    Francois

Hi Patrick:

First, pay no attention to Fred Hall. He is an illiterate jackass who is depriving some village of its idiot.

More to the point, I think you should understand why people join cults; and Jehovah's Witnesses are indeed a cult, a cult by any definition of the word.

People join cults when they feel that they have somehow ruined their own lives. So in order to feel better about themselves, they turn over their "ruined" lives to something bigger, huge in fact; they submerge themselves into a cult that claims to have an infallible leader and who holds out an extravagant hope. And you know that the witnesses do exactly that.

To find out all about cults and why people join them and what they are really like and the psychology behind your desire to join, read the book "The True Believer" by Eric Hoffer. You'll discover all you need to know about cults in that very little book. You can get it at the library, or buy yourself a copy for about five or six bucks.

I wish I had joined the Navy when I was 18. But I was still in the JWs when I was 18. If I had done that, I would have been retired now and would have had a far, far better life than I've had.

I can honestly say that 95% of the pain in my life has come as the result of my association with Jehovah's Witnesses. Don't ruin your life like I did. Get away from them as fast as you can. Don't you realize that the witnesses have been making various prophecies for over a hundred years, and that NOT ONE of their prophecies has ever come true. NOT ONE. Check out what is said about that at Deut. 18:20-22. And then think carefullly about dedicating your life to an organization that Jehovah himself has condemned.

Do something good for yourself. Join the Air Force. Help protect the most powerful beacon of freedom the world has ever known. Now THAT is a great cause to which you can attach yourself with pride and confidence.

Make us all proud.

Francois

Where it is a duty to worship the Sun you can be sure that a study of the laws of heat is a crime.

• buffalosrfree
    buffalosrfree

Hi read your post. By all means Join the Air Force, do something special for your country, it may raise the esteem of you parents they will none the less have more respect for you. As for it being the last days, well in effect, the last days of your youth are passing you by, jump on the train (the Air Force) Go see some of the world and you will enjoy it, don't be brought back into the clutches of the borg, they don't care about you, want you to work for free and they could care less about you or your family. You say you don't like to conform, so why go back to the cult, the borg, the untruth?

it takes the blue from the sky and a pretty girls eye and a touch of ole glory too and give it to the men and women of the Air Force
    Blue. That can be you too. Give it your best and you will never grow old and wish that you hadn't like may jdubs have done and are still doing. Fair winds and following seas and head for that Air Force blue. Buff

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit