Idea to Settle the U.S. Defficit (SERIOUS THREAD)

by Confucious 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Confucious
    Confucious

I think this would HONESTLY work...

SELL ADVERTISMENT ON THE BACK OF CURRENCY.

Really, think about it.

Get Microsoft on the back of the $100 bill for say 1 Billion Dollars.

Get Cisco on the back of a $10 bill for 500 Million.

Think. The money/advertisment would be in circulation for YEARS.

Opinions???

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

Concept sounds good, but I think it would open the door for counterfitting. And I think it would also make things even more complicated, allowing the government to show alligence to certain corporations. Sort of the same concept of when the government borrowers money from other countries and then can't enforce certain foriegn policies because of it. Just my two cents, but what the hell do I know anyway :)

• Simon
    Simon

I doubt corporations would pay that much money ! ... and even a $billion is nowhere near enough to scratch the defficit. What's the latest estimate? $3trillion or something ?!?

• Confucious
    Confucious

Simon, Maybe we an just attack a poor and defensless country and get their oil???

• Annanias
    Annanias

Simon, even if what you said worked, and the debt was paid off to the penney tomorrow. How long would it last? I thought that we had paid off the debt and even had a surplus arounf 1998-99 didn't we?

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

The deficit is, at the close of the year, something like half a trillion dollars. The DEBT is close to three trillion. Interest payments on the debt are about half the budget. It's out of control.

CZAR

• DireStraitJacket
    DireStraitJacket

Out of interest, are there any countries that have a regular surplus? Are these countries that are rich natural resources? or if everyones running at a deficit, where is the money coming from?

• truthseeker1
    truthseeker1

I'm not an economist, and I don't even know how much money I have currently, but from I remember most of debt is money is borrowed from through bonds and such, from us citizens.

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

Actually, the Japanese buy a lot of the bonds.

Regular surpluses are not good for an economy - while the spiraling debt right now is obviously a problem, a government surplus, at least in the US economy, is bad - because it is money that just sits there and leaves the economy and doesn't do anybody any good. A growing economy is one where the money moves around a lot.

Tiberius was one of the best Roman emperors in terms of maintaining a full treasury, but it led to a depression in the Roman empire...

CZAR

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

Hey Czar.....................

You and I came from the same circuit. When did you take the time or have the time to learn ANYTHING about SOMETHING OTHER than what comes out of Brooklyn? I thought that we were supposed to use ALL of our spare time (what was that as dubs) to read, underline, reread and comment like segway. There was no time to even wipe properly......was there? Ignoring You

Good info from you. Thanks.

HappyDad

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit