You Will Know By The Love They Have Among Themselves

by Corvin 31 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Momof4
    Momof4

In my old congregation we had an older long-time brother in failing-health. He was in and out of the nursing home for rehabilitation. My husband and I really enjoyed him and his wife they were sweeties. Anyhow, he was to the point where he could hardly walk anymore and needed to go to his next Dr's appt, so his wife called the PO of our hall for help and a ride, but he wouldn't help because....get this....he said "it was a possible liability for the brothers". His worldly next-door neighbors took him. This just DISGUSTED me and it was at the time when I first began to have doubts. Also when I was planning meals for the family (when they got home from the nursing home) it was like pulling teeth to get the sisters to help prepare meals for them. I couldn't believe it, and it really helped me to realize that, unfortunately, the bros and sisters don't do a lot of helping out unless they can count field service time for it.

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

My JW relative has a jail ministry. She will preach to the crackheads in jail, help them with $, and rides here and there when they get out, etc. But she won't call and say "hello, how are you?" to me unless she needs something. <shrugs>

Country Girl

• wheres caleb?
    wheres caleb?

John 13:35 was always one of my favorite scriptures but was unable to see how it applied to the JWs. Of course, it should be mentioned that they have their own definition of love, so they are covered in their own estimation.

JWs are an 'excuse' religion. "We are not wrong, just misunderstood" is the view they have about themselves. They claim to be progressive, and yet, they completely distort the meaning of Jesus words when he said that 'ALL' will know that you are my discples; by the love you have among yourselves.

They can only hide behind words and dedicate their lives to missing the point. I feel sorry for those in the org who try to demonstrate love because they are left to convince themselves that they have found the 'truth' despite the example being set by others.

I am not one of the 'ALL' because I am not seeing the 'spiritual' side of things. You see how far one can be indoctrinated. I'm a goner!

• Undaunted Danny
    Undaunted Danny

Psychos R' US

Stockholm Syndrome among Jehovah's Witnesses often plays out like this:

MORE on Stockholm Syndrome

"Satan wants you to leave the 'truth'.So he will try every hook and crook,to try to stumble you outta da 'troof' ".

[ Including sending jealous ministerial servants to slash my tires,and then the MS's deny it and slander me to the Rockland Massachusetts Congregation that,"I'm a paranoid mental case".. ]

Soooo,,,that's why i put up with outrageous,dog-eat-dog, malicious, willful and wanton,cruel daily bullshit from my fellow Jehovah's Witness churchgoers. "arrogance of ruthless egotism"

• Annanias
    Annanias

wheres caleb- "dedicated themselves to missing the point." I love it. I'm gonna steal it.

• "Heathen" Biker Babe
    "Heathen" Biker Babe

Hi everyone. I have been a resident lurker for a number of years. I have never posted but I have really enjoyed what I have read here and have come to appreciate all of you (Farkel, you are a mess!!)

Anyway, my husband passed away 12 years ago (he was "worldly"). If it wasn't for my "worldly" neighbors and co-workers, I don't know how I would have gotten through it. Not one invite for anything from a witness. I'd been a witness for years so this was totally expected by me. Just further proof that Jehovah's spirit does not dwell at the kingdom hall. One brother did help me when I was single with 2 kids. He loaned me lunch money for the kids and helped me fix my car. He would have gotten in trouble if the elders had found out that we were hanging out together. This man was also helping a sister with MS who was wheelchair bound. She had no one to take her to doctor appointments or the store, etc. He got called into the back room and told to stop associating with her because it didn't look good. It's funny but the "worldly" people don't give a rat's behind about things like that. You just have to watch out not to cause gossip at the kingdom hall. This really hurt him and the sister as well since no one else in her congregation helped her. Another time a sister who lived in Jacksonville, Florida had a house down in Miami and wanted to go check on it after Hurricane Andrew struck. My friend volunteered to take her. She was in her 80's. The brothers told him it wouldn't look right if he took her alone without a chaperone. Now how laughable is that? She couldn't find anyone else to take her, let alone go along as a chaperone. This man remains my friend even though he knows I no longer believe. He is one of the only true Christians I know in that organization.

The love just isn't happening. I sat back and watched it for years. I really got a kick out of the watchtower lesson that talked about reaching out to others in the congregation. Talk to them when the meetings are over, blah, blah, blah. So when the meeting was over, I stood up and looked around to speak to someone, since I hardly knew that many people and not one soul spoke to me. NOT ONE!!!! I walked out of there with the biggest smile on my face because I absolutely knew this was not the place for me.

They may consider us all apostates but there is more love here than in all the kingdom halls combined. The only thing that matters to the organization is going out in field service. Helping a brother in need is not necessary for eternal life in their opinion. I love being able to give love unconditionally to others and receive it in return. It is a wonderful feeling. I love God and I know he did not intend for others to micro-manage our behavior or consciences. It shows a total lack of love on their part.

Dee the "Heathen" BIker Chik

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

I have to agree with LT. It isn't fair of us to unduly blame the actual people involved. While they do make a choice to follow the borg's rules, it is also a choice that almost everybody here has made as well. The Borg creates a climate of demand and what Ray Franz called, "An endless treadmill of activity."

What actually needs to be reformed is the Borg's Rutherfordian legacy of numbers, prophecies, and demands. Perhaps a legitimate plan envisioned by an actual modern day Luther would be:

1.) A moratorium on all field service reports. Nobody has to, or should, report their time to anybody. If you go out door to door, then presumably God notices. If not, that's your business.

2.) The creation of Jehovah's Witness holidays. It is interesting that the second fruitage of the spirit is JOY (not RV's or Watchtowers dumped in a laundromat). Why not start with four days a year set aside for actual holiday happenings, intended to begin a healing process with the community and with former members. I recall we used to have congregation picnics, but after a time the Borg made such frowned upon and joyless affairs where only those who weren't "marked" were allowed in.

3.) This will be a big wrench, but they need to reduce the number of meetings. Is it really necessary to study the Watchtower AND have a book study? Do we really need TWO meetings dedicated to field service and NONE dedicated to charitable works? I think a two hour service on Sunday is all anyone can reasonably expect of a congregation; and maybe some voluntary meetings to go along with point 4...

4.) The creation of a charitable works department. Start by buying every dub health insurance. That is one way to begin fixing the wrongs done longtime members who have sacrificed all on false prophecies. Why not create a higher education fund that makes interest free student loans to longtime members? Or some capital for starting small businesses. It sucks to admit you are wrong, but to truly pay back those who screwed up their lives because of YOUR mistakes, borgmen, you need to help them live comfortably for the remainder and find something worthwhile to do.

That would be a start, I suppose. Just a pipe dream. Oh, you listening Gods, hark unto my plea...

CZAR

• jgnat
    jgnat

czar, I love your reform list!

How about an "open mike" for the midweek meeting, where JW's can share testimonies of ways they helped their neighbour?

• Xena
    Xena

I don't know....I found them to be like most groups..some good people and some bad. Of course the fact that they try and act like there is no love outside the congergation is what really bites them in the ass, when people find out differently.

• scotsman
    scotsman

Like LT, Czar & Xena

People are people. I had great, close and loving relationships while I was a Witness. I saw a lot of people help other people, myself included. Of course, when I stopped attending meetings that changed and it's the conditional nature of the love which hurts. I blame the organization, not the adherents.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit