John 10:10

by Dawn 39 Replies latest watchtower bible

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

Not prosperity christianity - but yes, in this life - living to the full

the flesh is of no avail; the words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life

he who hears my word and believes him who sent me, has eternal life; he does not come into judgment, but has passed from death to life

For me it is yes, in prosperity or no - this life (life) is still led to the full - truly, it could have been taken and mucked up (once was) by those claiming to speak for Jesus - but it became that they weren't able once I knew.

• myelaine
    myelaine

A Paduan,

For me it is yes, in prosperity or no - this life (life) is still led to the full - truly, it could have been taken and mucked up (once was) by those claiming to speak for Jesus - but it became that they weren't able once I knew.

Could you repeat that please?

michelle

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Michelle:

"And a voice spoke to him a second time, "What God has cleansed you MUST not call common."

First things first, that's Peter;s comments, not Paul's.
    Secondly, if someone is acting like an ass I'll tactfully call them on it, regardless of whether they are a Christian or not.
    Thirdly, That text was in connection with Peter's need to open his eyes to God's grace in having no racial boundaries to those who would be called as Christians. What message are you trying to convey with it?

• myelaine
    myelaine

Little Toe,

I know Peter said that scripture, who said it isn't my point. These are "GOD'S WORDS to His people. Pretend that the Holy Spirit said that scripture to your heart. That is all I'm saying. I think that Paul is harsh in his message but sometimes one has to be different men to different people.

michelle

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

My,

These are "GOD'S WORDS to His people.

I don't think the Bible even makes that claim. At best they were paul"s, peter's John's Mose's and who ever elses's word the book claims to be written by and which is according to scholars highly unlikely for even that to be true.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Michelle:

Pretend that the Holy Spirit said that scripture to your heart.

I'll leave the pretending to you, thanks

• Dawn
    Dawn

I enjoyed reading each person's opinion on this scripture. I tend to believe it has both a meaning for the future, and for here/now. However, I don't believe it applies to a life "in abundance" financially or even through the fun we have, etc. I think it's something more.

My brother was one of those individuals you would categorize as "full of life". When I would make comments like "some day I'd like to xxxx" my brother's response would be "why are you waiting? Just do it!". He died at 48 - but did more living in 48 years than most people do in a life-time. He had literally traveled the world, was a fireman at one point in his life, a policeman at one point in his life, owned his own business, and even became a commercial deep sea diver. He traveled to Japan, Figi, Indonesia, and numerous other places I can't even remember them all. He lived in California, Hawaii, Texas, Mexico, even owned property in Figi. He had great stories to tell and was the envy of many people.

However - he was very lonely, and very sad. He did all these great things - but did not have anyone in his life to share them with. He had friends - but not a close family. He was twice divorced, and had strained to no relationships with his adult children. In addition he was very very sick and in constant pain. He had to take daily injections and a high dose of pain killers to keep going. He lived with habitual guilt, pain, and regret.

I feel sorry for him and I wish his life had been different. So - what really does it mean to have life "in abundance"? I'm thinking it must be something deeper - like a state of mind. Perhaps having life in abundance is reaching a point where you are fulfilled each day - perhaps it's all about relationships....intangible things.

What are your thoughts?

• Annanias
    Annanias

I think you should start a new thread. This is an interesting question.

• Dawn
    Dawn

Good idea - I started one under friends. I'm interested to see what others think having an "abundance of life" is. Perhaps it's something different to each person.

• Carmel
    Carmel

"Be happy!" If you are not happy now, for when are yee waiting?

Seems Jesus said when He returned He would come as a thief. So that would certainly challenge the suggested interpretation..

carmel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit