Freedom is...................................................

by ozziepost 28 Replies latest jw friends

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

"and the truth will set you free" (John 8:32)

So what does freedom mean to you?

Finish off this sentence "Freedom is..................."

• morty
    morty

Thinking on my own.......

• gumby
    gumby

1. The condition of being free of restraints.
    2. Liberty of the person from slavery, detention, or oppression.

3. Exemption from an unpleasant or onerous condition: freedom from want.

4. The capacity to exercise choice; free will: The right to unrestricted use; full access: A right or the power to engage in certain actions without control or interference:

Mornin Ozbastard!

Excellent question! As you can see...I have cherry picked some of the definitions given by the dictionary. I think this question however is much the same as asking......What is a cult"? The defintion can be so broad, you will get many answers.

Actually, all mankind is in slavery to lifes limits......but I know what you mean

To me....freedom is peace of mind and spirit. A person could be sitting in a jail cell and be more free than a man with everything, but who is unhappy and miserable. Freedom to me is more in the mind than physical.

Btw....nice to see you start a topic and pick our brains a bit.

Gumby

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    nice to see you start a topic and pick our brains a bit.

Why, thank you. Gumbles. Y'know I do start up the occasional one! Maybe not as much lately - i've had to keep up with all your confounded questions!!

Cheers, Ozzie

• willy_think
    willy_think

Freedom is found in rebellion.

Freedom is found in total submission.

Freedom is the act of rejecting the will of an other or the self.

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

Streaking!

Really though, does any of us know what true freedom is? I was watching "Da Ali G Show" the other day (very funny skits) and they went to Alabama. Just some background on the show for those who don't know it, this one guy takes on different characters, and goes and interviews people. Sometimes he interviews quite famous people, sometimes just the average Joe. So this one character was an Austrian who was gay. He went to what seemed like a gun rally and interviewed an individual there and it went something like this:

Character: So what are you doing today?

Interviewee: I'm fighting for the freedom of Americans.

C: That's a great cause. So what do you think freedom is, in Austria we feel that freedom is being able to walk down the street holding my boyfriends hand and noone looks at you like it is anything wrong. Is that the freedom you're fighting for?

I: Well, I don't know about your holding hands with another man. I guess what you do in the privacy of your own home is fine as long as you don't try to recruit my kids because then I'd have a problem and you'd have me to deal with.

It went somewhat downhill from there. I guess the point of that interview is somewhat clear though. We will only be truely free when everyone accepts people for who they are, and not what (or who) they do, look like, or for their opinions. As long as there are sterotypes, hatred and racism we are all held captive, not free.

Another angle is this. You buy a piece of land downtown Anytown. In a truely free society, you are free to do what you wish with that land. But alas, you must buy a building permit and get permission from city hall. It's your land. You paid for it. Is that freedom?

Sorry. Am I going off on a tangent? I'll feel free to stop now!

Kwin

• onacruse
    onacruse

...realizing that we are what we are, regardless of what Elohim/Allah or the Logos/Word supposedly have said what we must be.

Satisfaction within one's own soul and heart is the greatest achievement of freedom.

Perhaps the most important epitaph to our physical lives would be: "I lived as good a life as I could"; or, in other words: "Love your fellow man as yourself"...which, by necessity, includes first loving yourself.

Craig (of the "not-down-under" class )

• myelaine
    myelaine

waking up every morning refreshed, ready to do battle. PREPAREDNESS

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

... a word.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

...Christ.

You didn't ask for elaboration, so I'll leave it at that, for now
    I do accept that most folks haven't the foggiest idea what I mean by that, though.

Craig:
    Wb

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit