BOE letter defining apostacy

by scotsman 14 Replies latest jw friends

• scotsman
    scotsman

I'm looking for the BOE letter that defines apostacy as 'standing away' and means individuals can be dfed even if they're not spreading their opinion. I'm sure I saw it recently on here in pdf format, but I can't find it. Anyone help?

• garybuss
    garybuss

Not sure where it is here. There is a copy of it in COC though. Other posters here will have a link to it. Sorry I was not much help. I wanted to give the post a bump to the top for ya. GaryB

• VM44
    VM44

hi scotsman,

The BOE letter you are looking for might be the one in this thread;

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/77553/1.ashx

I do not know where a pdf version of the letter may be found.

--VM44

• scotsman
    scotsman

VM44

That's where I'd seen it. Thanks.

• sf
    sf

Yes, this is the letter, yet where was it scanned from?:

"WATCHTOWER BIBLE AND TRACT SOCIETY OF NEW YORK, INC.

117 ADAMS STREET, BOOKLYN, NEW YORK 11201, U.S.A. PHONE (212) 625-1240

SCG:SSF September 1, 1980

TO ALL CIRCUIT AND DISTRICT OVERSEERS

Dear Brothers:

We know that you and your wives benefited greatly from the "Divine Love" District Conventions. They impressively brought to our attention why love is the most beneficial quality that we can develop. (1 Cor. 13:13) Love enables us to remain united in spite of the limitations and shortcomings we manifest. —Col. 3:12-14.

You can be sure that by your loving example, the brothers you serve will be uplifted and strengthened in the faith. We have received a number of letters informing us of the love you brothers and your wives have displayed. One body of elders wrote concerning their circuit overseer "(He) is truly devoted to do Jehovah's will . . . being of spiritual assistance to all . . . approachable in discussing any matter. (He) has a listening ear, showing empathy for the brothers. Such brothers we can rely upon when future problems we know will come, set in."

You can be confident that the brothers treasure your friendship, association and love when you "genuinely care for the things pertaining to them." (Phil. 2:19-23,29) Therefore, continue exerting yourselves to deal lovingly with them. Never pressure them or scold them. Lead them, work hard with them, exhort them in accord with their needs. Be patient if their progress appears slow. Such loving, patient treatment will refresh the brothers.--Matt. 11:28-30.

PROTECTING THE FLOCK

A major responsibility of an overseer as he 'shepherds the flock of God in his care" is to protect it from dangers. (Acts 20:28) Acts 20:29,30 indicates that one of those dangers can be men who apostatize. There is a fine study of this subject in the August 1, 1980, Watchtower. All of you want to get thoroughly familiar with the contents of the study articles. Encourage all of the elders and ministerial servants, especially, to do likewise. Include key points in your "Continue in the Things You Have Learned" program.

Help the elders discern between one who is a trouble-making apostate and a Christian who becomes weak in faith and has doubts. (2 Peter 2; Jude 22, 23) The former one should be dealt with decisively after extended efforts put forth to readjust him. (2 John 7-10) On the other hand, one weak should be patiently and lovingly assisted to get the accurate knowledge solidify his faith.

Page 2

Keep in mind that to be disfellowshiped, an apostate does not have to be a promoter of apostate views. As mentioned in paragraph two, page 17 of the August 1, 1980, Watchtower, "The word 'apostasy' comes from a Greek term that means 'a standing away from,' 'a falling away, defection,' 'rebellion, abandonment. Therefore, if a baptized Christian abandons the teachings of Jehovah, as presented by the faithful and discreet slave, and persists in believing other doctrine despite Scriptural reproof, then he is apostatizing. Extended, kindly efforts should be put forth to readjust his thinking. However, if, after such extended efforts have been put forth to readjust his thinking, he continues to believe the apostate ideas and rejects what he has been provided through the 'slave class, then appropriate judicial action should be taken.

This is not to say that you or the elders should go on 'witch hunts,' as it were, inquiring into the personal beliefs of your brothers. Rather, if something reasonably substantial comes to the attention of the elders along this line, it would be appropriate to make a kindly, discreet inquiry so as to protect the flock. We cannot overemphasize the need to be cautious, discreet and kindly as such situations are dealt with.—James 1:19, 20. . . . "

• minimus
    minimus

Yup, "kindly"- just like the way they handled Ray Franz!

• metatron
    metatron

Take note just how far the Society has drifted away from what the Bible really says about this. The Scriptures speak about

rejecting a man 'after a first and second admonition' - and shunning a man who starts a sect, not someone holding passive

private beliefs. They see nothing wrong with 'thought-crime' persecution and their comments about starting a witch hunt are about as bogus

as other comments they've made about elders not 'being spiritual policemen', when that's exactly what they are.

metatron

• Gopher
    Gopher
    Help the elders discern between one who is a trouble-making apostate and a Christian who becomes weak in faith and has doubts. (2 Peter 2; Jude 22, 23) The former one should be dealt with decisively after extended efforts put forth to readjust him. (2 John 7-10) On the other hand, one weak should be patiently and lovingly assisted to get the accurate knowledge solidify his faith.

So if someone "has doubts" they should be "patiently assisted".

But what if they cannot overcome their doubts? Then they're branded as traitors!

if a baptized Christian abandons the teachings of Jehovah, as presented by the faithful and discreet slave, and persists in believing other doctrine despite Scriptural reproof, then he is apostatizing.

They cannot be left alone, no, they must be shunned and reviled! The faithful and discreet slave is your master! Bow down!

• toreador
    toreador

Kneel before Zod

• SAHS
    SAHS
    . . . one weak should be patiently and lovingly assisted to get the accurate knowledge solidify his faith.

In other words, twist his/her arm until he/she says ?Uncle!? I suppose a nice red Indian burn on the arm is one visible sign of a damn good shepherding visit.

?SAHS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit