Rationalism and religion

by Narkissos 72 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Dutch Calvanism's influence can arguably be seen in various cultural attitudes, just as C of E attitudes have permiated English culture. As both are not really 'national' religions any longer it is a waning influence concentrated in older generations.

I don't know a thing about the Scottish varient other than dour stereotypes which are probably out-of-date with the more swinging Calvanist's views.

I do know that the Americans describing themselves as Calvanists are among the most repugnant bum wipes I've had the misfortune to type to.

But you're a sweet Scottish laddy with knobbly knees, and far too measured for the extreme lengths of silliness they get up to; don't let the fact they use the same word as you to describe some aspects of your belief down.

Tree. Fruits. Judge. By.

• Balsam
    Balsam

Karen Armstrong (she is a bible historian) wrote a book that I've found enlightening called "The Battle for God". It is a study of the three main religious thoughts of Judism, Christianity, and Islam. Her thoughts are that when people began to look at things from a scientific reasoning gradually over the centuries it threatened the Mythos of established Religions and how they looked at who, and what God was all about. Mondernality as it progressed put more emphasis on science and reason and question more and more the idea of God because it did not fit the rational world of the scientists down through the ages. Science even became another religion to some degree as religious people were pressured to recognize the rational explainations for life. Like evolution.

She speaks of the fear of annilation too, of losing idenity in a world that is fighting wars all around them. Fundamentalist religions of which we are still affected sprang up in the late 19th century, which is when Russell began is questioning and evaluation of bible thought. The Millennialism or looking for Armaggedon was very strong in that period of scientific exporation that was advancing more quickly than people could mentally and emotionally adjust to. The idea of the Rapture came up then as people looked for the end to come. In fact there was a morbid yearning for the world to come to an end because the uneducated working class were becoming poorer and the richer more educated becoming richer. Education was not equal for everyone, and the march of the modern world was frightening to many people who craved the old familar ways. Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons, and many more started in this time period. Some like the JW's and the Mormons seemed to thrive as they looked to Christ to bring destruction of world and save them. People felt afraid. People fear now, but not so much of the modern world but more of the terrorist that still live in their fundamentalist minded religions of the world. When people are afraid they can create even imaginary enemies, and conspiracys. People crave certainty, and with Jehovah's Witnesses the had an explaination for everything. The provided order to a chaotic world. Thus their appeal in Ms. Armstrongs opinion. The terrorist fear the anilation of the fundamental Islamic world that is being encroached by the modern world.

Karen Amstrong has written some other interesting book like "A History of God: The 4,000-Year Quest of Judaism, Christianity and Islam " We often wonder about the way religion came about, and why it progressed as it did. These are interesting books to read if you have an interest in religions of the world.

Ruth

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Balsam,

Interesting post,,I may read that book someday.

I think what you posted here I agree. Things and developements in the world around us because they are proceeding faster than we evolve to deal with cause this uneasy feeling and we grasp at things to give us some type of stability and it seems like no matter what we grasp to acheive stability causes us some pain.

Edit to add: my post get posted too early before I finish typing,, what am I doing wrong?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit