Where were you three years ago today?

by hemp lover 31 Replies latest social current

• hemp lover
    hemp lover

I was thinking last night that 9/11/01, for this generation, is somewhat akin to 11/22/63 (JFK's assassination) for previous generations. I remember listening to the adults' stories when I was a child of where they were and what they were doing when JFK was assassinated.

So where were you on 9/11/01? How has that day affected your life?

I didn't lose anyone personally that day, but I was there. FOSHLL and I were in New York on vacation. I was awakened by what I thought was thunder. I reached up and pushed back the curtain to look at the sky. It was a beautiful, cloudless day and so I decided I was imagining things and went back to sleep. We had planned to get up early that day and take the subway down under the WTC and then hop the ferry to the Statue of Liberty. We slept in instead.

I don't even know how to put into words the surreality of that day. So many different emotions, the strongest being a sense of complete aloneness and sorrow for all who were lost and the friends and families they left behind. I felt acutely responsible for my child's life. I feared we were in a war and that worse was yet to come.

We wandered the city for hours and ended up with a crowd of people outside the CBS TV station, watching the coverage on a giant outdoor monitor. FAO Schwarz next door was playing "It's a Small World" and fighter jets were making noisy passes over the city. In Central Park, artists were selling out of pencil sketches of the twin towers.

We were at breakfast the next day and a policeman came in and started yelling, "There's a bomb! Everyone get out!" There was a stampede for the front door and I briefly lost sight of my daughter. It was the longest 30 seconds of my life. I now know what panic in its truest form feels like. I'm usually the one who keeps her cool when everyone else is losing theirs. But not this time. We found a pay phone and I tried to call SixofNine, but I was shaking so badly that it was like one of those dreams where you can't push the right buttons. Finally the call went through and I begged him to tell me what to do, to help me find a way out of there. I couldn't even think for myself anymore, but talking to him calmed me down enough to get through the moment.

The next day, with flights still grounded, FOSHLL and I decided to let Greyhound do the driving for us. After another bomb scare/stampede at the Port Authority terminal, we purchased tickets and were on our way back to Texas. The 36-hour bus ride is a short story all to itself. I still have a piece of art that FOSHLL made out of a Slinky on the trip home.

To all who lost loved ones that day, my thoughts are with you.

• Gopher
    Gopher

I was driving in to work when I heard of the two planes crashing into the WTC towers. We were scheduled for training that day, but we kept going out to the TV monitor to watch coverage on MSNBC of the day's terrible events.

Then over the lunch hour I joined the chat discussion on this very board. There were scores of posters who grieved together for what was happening. It was a good outlet.

• Mulan
    Mulan

Well..............my cousin (who was more like my sister and best friend in the world) had died on September 6, my birthday was the 7th, and Sharon's memorial was the 9th. It had been a terrible week, and a dismal birthday.

One of her sons and daughter in law, from New York, were staying with us, but were still asleep. Dave called me from his cell phone, to tell me what had happened. I don't usually turn the TV on that early, but I did then. I went to wake Sean and his wife and within minutes we were all glued to the TV. Then my cousin's widower drove up and we all sat in front of the TV for hours, just stunned.

Both of Sharon's sons and wives and grandkids were here from out of state, and couldn't return home for over a week. Sean and his wife opted to rent a car and drove home to New York, mainly out of fear of flying.

All in all it was probably the worst week of my life. That's why this year we went to Las Vegas for 4 days during the same time frame, and got home last night.

• Valis
    Valis

I was just waking up about the time the first plane hit...then sipping coffee and watching the second plane hit...horrid and very surreal..

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• glitter
    glitter

We took our 16 year-old dog to be put down at about 8am, then came home: we got over him dying pretty damn quick.

I'd been on the computer and I came downstairs just before 2pm - put the TV on and one tower was smoking: there was no commentary and I couldn't understand what "live" in the corner meant for a while... I called upstairs to tell mum to put the TV on, and went back to watch. I couldn't bare to watch alone and couldn't bare *not* to watch - so I went to watch upstairs and the second plane hit just as I came into the room.

It felt like it was never going to stop, didn't it.

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

We were a day and a half away from going on an overseas holiday...

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

I was at my desk in the office. A friend called me and said that a plane hit the WTC.

I was thinking of a small plane. I told someone at the office and she said this is not possible because this is non-flying-area.

Soon, we had TV sets on.

There were plans to go to a theater in the evening. Some did go but I declined.

I just wanted to be at home with my family and watch the reports on TV.

• garybuss
    garybuss

33 years ago today I was being married in the basement of a hardware store by a Chevy auto mechanic.

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow

oops, off topic, sorry.

(removed post)

• Preston
    Preston

I was applying for a job, I stopped at a hospital on the way home to give blood but was turned away...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit