Would you consider this murder or?

by kls 34 Replies latest jw friends

• Margie
    Margie

If she was so drunk for so long that she didn't even realize he was dead at the bottom of the stairs for quite some time, how would she remember that she pushed him? Is it possible that he fell down the stairs by himself since he was also drunk? Presumably, since he sat for weeks at the bottom of the stairs, no third party was there to witness the event. In the absence of evidence that she actually pushed him down the stairs, I wouldn't think there would be any legal basis for manslaughter, let alone murder.

Morally, though, I would consider that murder. She must have formed the intent to push him down the stairs, even if that intent was formed only a nanosecond before she pushed him. That he would be injured, perhaps gravely, after being pushed down the stairs is completely foreseeable.

• kls
    kls

I also consider this murder or at least manslaughter. But the fact is she got away with it. Not to shock anyone but this was the demise of my step-dad not that i liked him i only met him twice and each time they were so drunk . The mother and step -dad met each other in a alcohol rehab center. After they were released they were married to each other and the bottle. After finding out of his death we found out he was already married with three children.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Was your mum prosecuted? I can see the defense being abused victimized wife. If it were him that pushed her, he would have been convicted of at least manslaughter.

I'm sorry for your losses on this.

Hugs
    Brenda

• kls
    kls

I should say that neither of them meant anything to me so there is no loss or sorrow. I wanted your opinions to see if they were the same as mine. This was also 25 years ago.

• Margie
    Margie

Where did this happen? I ask because I know a woman who was a prosecutor in New York City in the late 70's and, apparently, there was so much crime in the city then that the police and prosecutors couldn't keep up with all of it. Reportedly, the joke around the prosecutor's office was that everyone in the city was allowed one free murder. If this happened in a city with a similar situation, it may have been that in the absence of a sympathetic victim and/or an easily prosecutable case, the DA decided not to pursue the prosecution against your mom.

In any case, I'm sorry about your losses, too.

(edited for clarification.)

• kls
    kls

Margie this was in upper Wisconsin. It really is not a lose . There was no feeling s for either.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Manslaughter.

Frannie B

• Country_Woman
    Country_Woman

Manslaughter.

It is only murder when she (or anybody) planned to do so.

• kls
    kls

Sorry for not telling you who is was but i needed your honest opinion and if i were to say who, you may not have given me your honest thoughts on this. It does help with the fact that most of you agree that some charge should have been given. ( Again there is no emotional attachment what so ever )

• jgnat
    jgnat

Manslaughter. But perhaps the case was never pursued since there was no way to know for sure he was pushed. How would the relative know? Was he/she there?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit