How will Gen-Xers contribute to the fall of WTBS?

by LDH 37 Replies latest jw friends

• 144thousand_and_one
    144thousand_and_one

Bravo, Reborn!

I have a similar story, but I was out at the age of 14, and never ever thought of pioneering. I hated my "internment" in the JW cult, and the slavery (i.e., among other things, forced marketing for the corporation cult without compensation)and abuse that accompanied it. Education helped keep me away from hell on earth aka "being in the truth." I've been out for 22 years now, and only regret that I wasn't able to get out earlier.

It makes me happy to hear of stories like yours. I have no problem with adults choosing to worship how they please, but I really resent the treatment JW kids are subjected to. Good for you!

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

Yeah Farkel but you don't see the "Bible Students" or "Millennial Dawnists" getting past that and it'll sure be great when the WTS is just this tiny piece of shit nothing of a religion (even moreso than now). I wouldn't want it to completely disappear. I want it to have a slow, agonizing death. And the only ones left in it will be the die hards like my MIL. And she doesn't deserve to be free of this cult so I couldn't care less if she rots in it.

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

This thread is being saved right now! Keep it up. BTTT

• bboyneko
    bboyneko

I'm also a young former JW, I am 23 now, I left when I was 17 from the JW's. I left because of doubting. I worked at a public library and because of the vast information at my fingertips began to research things for the sunday watchtower study. I remember the first thing that got me doubting was trying to find things about the 607 BCE destruction of Jerusalem, and finding NOTHING...all the sources said 587 bce. I knew the Society based the 1914 date off the 607 date, so if THAT was wrong then 1914 was also wrong.

It grew from there slowly, for a year. By the time I was 17 I had written a 100 page essay on the wrongs i had found about the society, and why I was leaving. I refused to speak to any elders unless they read my paper. All of them refused. They did not want to read ideas from apostates.

So then I went to college, and now I'm unfortunatley unemployed but supporting myself thru many irregular freelance work. So I guess technically I am not unemployed, but I certainly don't have a regular income.

I agree most people seem to leave because of being caught for offesnes like illicet sex or growing facial hair :) Out of the 8 or 10 youth at my congregation only 4 are still there. The rest DA'd themselves.

It's getting harder and harder to indocrinate people in this age of instant information.

• Yadira Angelini
    Yadira Angelini

Seeker4,

My daughter (28) is trying hard to feet into the shoes of the 'good old timers Jehovah's pioneer Gen-Xers'. She tries so hard! she needs to feed this organization and she is victimized by them. She looks tire all the time, out of energy, and longing for a normal life, which she won't find in this cult. She is a pioner working part time, so she could give more time to the org. What a waste of talent, (she graduated from College (Sociology). She broke up with her fiance, a wonderlful man for not joining the org. What a waste, how shameful. Now she is dividing the family by shunnig her own sister, ("bluesapphire" on this forum).

I haven't been a JW, but I wonder how it is for you been an exJW mother of a 27 year old daughter. How did you manage the situation? I have been struggling for several years until I joined this forum and find out that I have make many mistakes with her trying to get her out. Not turning back. I'm just been a mom now. But it hurts to see that the Org. is robbing her life, kids, husband. Not hope, now. I feel overwhelmed and I'm always asking for answers. Like if there is an special recipe to get her out. Any suggestions?

The worse, is that now that there are less people willing to be committed like the "old time flames", the KH grabs one like her so she can be the inspiration to the other girls. That's more pressure on her. She is an scrupulous girl, even before she entered this group; now she in the extremes. She does not look happy, but forced herself to look happy...

Recently, she and other friends in her KH got involved in a event to honor the seniors in her hall; well she brought me their pictures and they all looked depressed, dead. Fake smiles, not hope, they have to stay, they are to old to fight and they can't bare to loose their kids and grand kids. Even if they feel they are in error, they need to play and sing the song, how sad!

Good wishes to you; you and Reborn2002 are an inspiration and have make this thread a success. Thanks for your input.

Yadira

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Yadira,

I have no answers for you about how to help your children leave the Witnesses. My wife, daughter, and mother are all still members. I DON'T try to force anything on them, but neither do I hide what I believe.

I was a gung-ho Witness when my kids were growing up - elder, pioneer, lots of privileges. But I was also liberal and open, and my wife and daughter continue to be so now. My wife especially sees the faults of the WTS - but it is her culture, her parents are still lifelong members, and I don't believe she will leave it any time soon.

But I do feel sorry for your daughter. You're right - they will latch on to a hardworking young person like that and really make tham an example to strive for. It takes it's toll. After high school, I became a "golden boy" like Reborn2002 writes about. I was the assembly overseer for my circuit at an age when most brothers aren't even considered for elders.

Remain as close with your daughter as you can, support her, but don't attack her. Things are not going to get better among the Witnesses, and each year that passes will just make the nonesense that they teach more obvious.

S4

• Aunty
    Aunty

Speaking from my personal experience in leaving, there came a point when I said "is doing this really that bad". At the time, it had to do with dating a certain someone I worked with. I opened my mind long enough to tell myself, well if I get caught it will be worth it! Also, I was tired of being told what to do by the men in the congregation. I couldn't see respecting someone that wasn't as intelligent or educated as I was just because he was a man. No offense to those men who are more intelligent than I am

I'm not saying it's a disrespectful thing either. I just think we're a generation that's more aware of our surroundings, of what's happening in the world than our parents were. My Mom is always telling me she was so naive when she graduated from hs and got married. We're also more skeptical of people in general - all I know is 90% of the people I grew up with in the congregation are either DF'd, on the fringe or out.

• Yadira Angelini
    Yadira Angelini

Seeker4,

I thought you were a mother! (female). Like if only women can have daughters, right? Fathers too! LOL

Thanks for responding; your phrase: "Remain as close as you can to your daughter, support her, but don't attach her" it's a confirmation of what I have been thinking all along, but I fail and stumble once in a while.

Also, I won't hide my believes to her either, something I feel I owe to do, like I'm afraid.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit