How will Gen-Xers contribute to the fall of WTBS?

by LDH 37 Replies latest jw friends

• LDH
    LDH

Is it because we're a cynical lot?

Maybe because we were the first generation of latch-key kids who learned how to raise ourselves?

What is it that makes it so 'hard to lie to a Gen Xer?' (Maximus' words).

Lisa

• Mulan
    Mulan

Okay, here's your chance to enlighten a Baby Boomer, please give me the age range for Generation X? I've heard the term a lot, but don't know the ages.

Marilyn (a.k.a. Mulan)

• LDH
    LDH

Somebody correct me if I am wrong.

General age range, 25-35.

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

Your age range seems about right and I find your questions/comments interesting.

I think Generation X in the org is the generation that at least gave "the truth" a shot, lived in the '80s and saw the growth, old enough to at least heard about 1975, remembered the generation change, might have pioneered for a few years at the expense of a college education and saw them change their mind on that. In some countries they Witnessed the change in alt. military service policy.

Basically, at a young age in life they saw all sorts of changes in the organization and took a look at their parents and where they are and where they are going and asked themselves "what if we are wrong?" and "what PROOF is there that we are right?".

I think because the investment into the religion is less than that of their parents (who were ones that failed to leave after 1975) they could think a bit more critically and objectively. There was still time to make "corrections" in one's life because we were still young.

So many stopped pioneering and pursued business or otherwise financial interests or an education. Titles and position were less important to them than to past generations. As the organization loosened some rules, these ones pushed the limits with things like recreation and entertainment.

I think Gen X is the beginning of the end for the org. But Generation Y is where it all stops. There's no saving this ship now. Its future is our parents who are trapped with no where to go and getting VERY TIRED and their parents who are getting VERY OLD.

Path

• Francois
    Francois

How will Gen-xers contribute to the fall of the WTBTS?

Quickly, It is to be hoped.

Go GenX, we're with you!

Francois

Where it is a duty to worship the Sun you can be sure that a study of the laws of heat is a crime.

• Farkel
    Farkel

I don't think the WTS will ever "fall" completely. It could be decimated down to about 25% of its current membership, though. That has already happened several times in its history.

There are always a percentage of people who will remain braindead no-matter-what.

Farkel

• jelly
    jelly

Farkel,

I agree with you they will never be totally eliminated. However I do think their membership is going to be made up of a greater percentage of individuals living on the margins of society.

Currently in every Kingdom hall there are some 'normal' people, but fewer and fewer 'normal' people are going to be swayed due to the availability of information on the society. So my prediction is that in 20 years Kingdom Halls are going to be a collection of the mentally ill, predators, and the ingnorant.

Jelly

• LDH
    LDH

Jelly,

Like they aren't now?!?! LOL.

Lisa

• joelbear
    joelbear

The Watchtower Society will be around for the rest of our lifetimes for sure.

They will change the 1914 doctrine in 10 to 15 years which will have an impact on their membership.

I think you will see the society move more and more towards earlier baptisms since baptized witnesses have much less freedom to move out of the org without substantial consequences.

hugs

Joel

• DCs Ghost
    DCs Ghost
    I think you will see the society move more and more towards earlier baptisms since baptized witnesses have much less freedom to move out of the org without substantial consequences.---joelbear

any earlier than the current average age of baptisms and they just may as well dunk 'em in right from birth

i remember kids getting dunked at the age of 12 and even earlier in a few of the towns that i lived in. . . .

------------------------
    Generation X---Billy Idol's band before he went solo c.1979

Gen X--- we grew up on MTV, when musicvideos still played,
    shows were not aired and commercials were few and far in between the music,
    we had 120 minutes on sunday nite,
    concerts were televised on MTV
    Duran Duran was big and so was Culture Club
    Police was synchronous
    Rubiks cube went to school with us
    Molly Ringwall(sp?) was pretty in pink
    The Breakfast Club was more than poptarts
    The Ratpack invaded the theaters
    Miami was a vice
    Bauhaus/Peter Murphy sang Belalogosi is Dead
    Ronald Reagan was president
    Americans were afraid of the Russians and vice versa/cold war
    Politics were heavy in music lyrics, ie. U2
    Morissey and Johnny Marr started the Smiths. . . .

any one else want to share the gen x experience. . . .

dc

"we do not see the world as it is,
    we see the world as we are. . ." Anais Nin

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit