Five Meetings and David's Five Stones (and other goofy things)...

by Confucious 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Confucious
    Confucious

I don't think this was ever written in a WT, but I've heard it more than once as a comment.

That when David reached into his bag to sling a stone at Goliath - that he had five stones to choose from.

And the comment was...

"And just like us, we have five meetings a week. And like David, we never know which 'stone' we will need to ward off 'Goliath.'"

Where do they get this stuff from???

Have you ever heard of that, or other goofy things that people invent up???

• fleaman uk
    fleaman uk

Ha ha...ive never heard that comment ,but im not surprised in the least....the crow-bar was used on many occasions!

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

That's a good one. I know I've heard more than a few precious jewels of that nature, growing up JW, but they escape me for the moment. I'll have to mull it over for a bit...

• VM44
    VM44
    That when David reached into his bag to sling a stone at Goliath - that he had five stones to choose from.
    "And just like us, we have five meetings a week. And like David, we never know which 'stone' we will need to ward off 'Goliath.'"

This is a good example of how many JWs reason. It might be called "reasoning through parallels and illustrations," the non sequitur conclusions are often humorous.

--VM44

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

There were many when I was growing up - and a JW - that would try to make up 'parables' - like Jesus... they would pontificate these in front of audiences...

...most would draw 'oooohs' and 'aaaahhhs' from the audience.

Many were made by circuit or district overseers - and were related during long and boring meetings.

Others were related by 'wannabes' - during their 15-minutes of fame - aka their 5-minute talks on Thursday evenings.

JWs don't have exclusive rights to these 'made up parables' though... just turn on your TV any Sunday morning, and watch those preacher fellas in front of the TV cameras... they do it too.

Regards,

Jim TX

• Confucious
    Confucious

Jim,

That was what I was surprised with.

I've watched some of these tele-evangelists.

And while some have really good points (and some way off)...

I was totally surprised in that I thought JW had a monopoly on these bizarre illustrations and all that.

They all have them.

Also, yes. Very interesting to note (on the other posts on this tread...)

I think it's a "Fred Franz Syndrome" thing that all the Dubs try to tie every Bible account to a "type and anti-type thing."

When I started reading the Bible on my own, I was surprised how some things just "meant what Jesus said it would mean."

Con

• blondie
    blondie

I had forgotten that one, confucious. Yes, I remember that nugget being pulled out. Probably some CO used it and then every elder in the circuit had to use it.

Blondie

It's like "which of your five fingers could you do without."

• VM44
    VM44
    I had forgotten that one, confucious. Yes, I remember that nugget being pulled out. Probably some CO used it and then every elder in the circuit had to use it.

Did I miss something? Now I am curious, what did the elders have to use?

--VM44

• Stephanus
    Stephanus
    "which of your five fingers could you do without."

For confronting idiots that ask that kind of question: certainly not the middle one!

• Stefanie
    Stefanie

Then there was the....

"do you skip a meal? then why skip a meeting"

song....

actually i have gotten into the habit of skipping meals

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit