a woman's right to choose.....

by peaceloveharmony 44 Replies latest jw friends

• peaceloveharmony
    peaceloveharmony

hey everyone, i was hesitant to post this article i read because abortion debates can turn so ugly so fast. so i thought about it for and decided i should post it because it is important for those of us who value the right the choose to be aware of what that really means here in the US. this article is from the weekly alternative newspaper here in the minneapolis/st. paul area. please click here to read, if interested:
    . http://citypages.com/databank/22/1073/article9651.asp

i found the article disturbing to say the least. i never realized how difficult it could be to obtain an abortion in a country/state where it is legal!?! crazy...

i feel the reason the anti-abortion crowd (the conservative right wing, christian coalition fundies that seem so pervasive in US politics) is able to have so much impact in the US is because some people (me included) are apathic towards the issues. not that i don't have an opinion on the issues but i tend forget that there are people out there more mobilized and organized than me that could take away some rights i take for granted. who knows, maybe i have a future in politics?

hope i haven't opened up a can of worms with this one...

love
    harmony

"Power doesn't mean you're acting like a man, or you're a bully or a bitch. It's that you don't let people step on you"
    -Sharon Monplaisir

• logical
  • Tina
    Tina

(((((((((plh)))))))))))) excellent topic that needs attention.
    I believe in activism,you can go to NOW w/s and find your local chapter ad get the action releases . There is a lot more organizing going on now to get our voices heard on reproductive rights and safety. I'll come bac to the story later when I get home.Luv,Tina

• Francois
    Francois

Harmony, you live in Minneapolis? Not to change the subject, but Pipito's Mexican Resturant is the best of its type I've ever been in. And the Black Forest? Gawd. Carry me away. Used to come up there alla time when I had friends up there, and we'd go to those two places several times each trip. Yum.

You know those places?

ft

Where it is a duty to worship the Sun you can be sure that a study of the laws of heat is a crime.

• JanH
    JanH

Tina,

The problem with activism is that religious fanatics mostly do it so much better. Like JWs who spend countless hours wasting their life on hopeless door-knocking, anti-abortionists specifically and christian conservatives generally have the fear of god and hell boosting their energy.

Unlike moderates, who suffer from the "problem" of seeing life in mostly shades of gray, fanatics also have the luxury of being able to totally demonize their opponents. Since they do not look upon their opponents as worthy of human rights, they can use any vile and deceptive weapon in their arsenal, ranging from death threats and harassment to tireless legislative sabotage.

It is always too easy for moderates, even when they are the majority, to lose against zealous minorites. Many point to the fact that Adolf Hitler received 30% of the public vote in pre-nazi Germany. True, but this means 70% did not vote for him. Who won the power struggle? Well, that, as we know, is history.

- Jan
    --
    Faith, n. Belief without evidence in what is told by one who speaks without knowledge, of things without parallel. [Ambrose Bierce, The DevilĀ“s Dictionary, 1911]

• LDH
    LDH

PLH thanks for posting this.

If I am up to it tomorrow I will tell the true story of how my 16 year old aunt died.

Love,Lisa

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

OK, let's hear from the loyal opposition. I FULLY beleive a woman has a right to choose when it involves her own body. The problem with the abortion issue it that it also involves the body of the baby. If we're talking Rape or some such issue, no opposition here, though even then the baby is not at fault, and the few rape victims I've talked to who became pregnant and had the baby don't regret it at all. When we get into the issue of partial birth abortions, etc I should hope that these would be IMPOSSIBLE to get.
    A woman's right to choose should be at the sex act, and should end when a second human life is involved, that of the baby. What we need is more resonsible sex, not more access to abortion.
    Just my humble opinion.

YERUSALYIM
    God is truth, and light his shadow.

Plato

• TR
    TR

Yeru,

I fully agree with your view. Abortion is a stupid mistake after a stupid mistake.

I take a conservative stance, but I'm no fundy religious fanatic.

TR

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every
    form of tyranny over the mind of man." --Thomas Jefferson*

• bigboi
    bigboi

Yeru:

I agree with you on this one. What we need in this country is more sex education. Not more abortions, not more abortion opposition. IMO, they both traumatize women. If we gave the young ppl in our country a better more open outlook on sex, then you would see many of the problems w/ sex in our society greatly diminish.

ONE....

bigboi

"it ain't what ya do. it's how you do it" quote from the song "True Honeybunz" by Bahamadia

• Jigrigger
    Jigrigger

Hi peaceloveharmony,

I am probably one of the most conservative, right wing types on this db, and as much as I think that abortion is a dreadful affair, I think that it should be left up to the woman and her doctor to decide on an abortion. I think that is the woman's fundamental right. I don't believe the government has the right to interfere in what a woman does concerning something inside her body.

Jigrigger

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit