Did Your Hall Make You Go To Meetings During Inclement Weather.......?

by minimus 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Mulan
    Mulan

There were a few times it was cancelled. Bad snow storms, ice on the roads (bad ice, not just a little ice) and a power outage that had lasted a couple of days.

• Cicatrix
    Cicatrix

Most of the time. Until an elderly sister skidded into a log truck on her way home and got injured badly. Then they were a little better about calling them off (that was only a couple of years before I quit, though). I refused to go when they did have them, though, as I lived quite a distance from the hall and drove there with my small children by myself. They sometimes had make-up meetings on Wednesdays or Fridays if there was very important info to be covered, but not often.

One time, the Sunday speaker got in an accident on his way to our Hall.When he was late (before the elders heard about the accident), the Watchtower study conductor took over. He figured we could just reverse the meetings. After they recieved the call from the speaker, one of the other elders went to the hospital where the speaker and his family were to make sure they were okay.Needless to say, it was a short Watchtower study that day, as no one's minds were on the lesson.

• Cicatrix
    Cicatrix

"Did your cong ever have a problem with the sisters dressing for inclement weather (like wearing pants under their skirts but tucked into their boots so no one really knew, but somehow they got ratted out anyway and admonished for wearing masculine clothing)?"

No, because the elder's wives did it:) In fact, one of them convinced me to wear leggings under my skirts, lol.

Moon boots and snowmobile boots were routinely discouraged.This didn't stop a certain elder's wife from wearing them, though;)

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Here is how it went down.

P.O. calls each book study conductor / overseer now. Well, what do you think brother use to cold weather, brother use to warm weather, brother use to any kind of weather, brother surfer, brother skier, brother dare - devil, brother afraid of anything. There is a blizzard warning for this evening, should we cancell the meeting?

Duh! Well, what does brother so and so think? What's the matter can't you think for yourself, err, forget I asked? P.O.calling all overseers, call your book study group and tell them the meeting is cancelled due to the weather being too hot, too cold, too dry, too wet, partly cloudy, partly sunny. sun showers, snow showers,earth quakes, tornadoes, cyclones, monsoons, full moon ,half moon, quarter moon, no moon.

Or just tell them it is cancelled because of inclement weather.

Blueblades

• lawrence
    lawrence

This post brought back many memories of looking out windows and watching the snows descend quickly - no cancellation, no curfew, the show must go on! One Circuit Dis-Assembly we skidded there on ice and left skidding on more ice in the dark - program shortened - NO, the show must go on! We had a horrible blizzard and an older couple met their Maker in a wreck - the next week we had another blizzard, did the PO cancel the meeting, hell no! The show must go on. We were Bible Stormtroopers - lean, mean, and boy we were green. No longer though!

• minimus
    minimus

I think going to meetings or for that matter doing anything else that is a safety hazard is stupid.

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

I only remember one weather cancellation ever..there must have been three feet of snow. Literally there would have been no way to drive to the KH. However, we were out of town anyway so I would have missed the meeting anyway. Blah perfect waste of a cancellation.

Leggings under skirts were scandalous..I know I wore a pair of shorts one time and mom was a bit aghast..they were spandex they didnt even show. I always got away with it in really cold weather with a lecture that pantyhose would have suited me just fine.

• minimus
    minimus

One dope self righteous superelder used to DOUBLE UP meetings when he could so we wouldn't lose any of the necessary spiritual food for the week! We once had to cancel a Sunday meeting and Bookstudy. He proposed having a Thursday night meeting that would include a School, Service Meeting and Bookstudy. Then on Friday a Pubic Talk (tm) and Watchtower Study, to be followed by the regular Sunday meeting!

• Farkel
    Farkel

: Did Your Hall Make You Go To Meetings During Inclement Weather.......?

Yes, and it was horrible. They INSISTED we go to ALL meetings. I cannot count the times I had to drive through blizzards as thick as locust swarms, sleet, black ice, ten foot snow drifts and gale force winds when I was a dub in Southern California!

Farkel

• blondie
    blondie

I lived in blizzard country and below zero city.

The ironic thing is that there were 10 congregations. On the same snowy, cold night one congregation cancelled and one wouldn't. That caused arguments between congregations. One night it was so cold, many cars weren't starting and the garages were swamped. The "brothers" sent around 2 brothers to start people's cars. I refused because as I pointed out, "What are you going to do with a parking lot full of cars that won't start after the meeting?" "What are you going to do about any older brothers/sisters stuck on the road in a car that dies at stop light?" "I refuse to be be bloodguilty."

So I didn't go and neither did my relieved riders.

For all the stories where people died, shame, shame, shame on those brothers.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit