Joining a new religion!!!!ARGGGGG

by Lilac5 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Steve Egner
    Steve Egner

Lilac5,

I was wondering if anyone else was plagued with nighmares at the thought of joining a new religion. I worried that if I "open the door" I might end up in another choke hold!!!!

I haven't had "nightmares", but I believe that it is in your best interest to concerned, if not wary, of quickly joining another group.

Have you read Eric Hoffer's "The True Believer..." ? One of his assertions was that (paraphrasing from memory here...) one mass movement's loss was another's gain. In other words, former members of a mass movement (like ourselves) are susceptible to the appeals of different groups. Without proper self examination, considering the reasons why we were drawn to religion in the first place, we could easily be duped again.

I've seen people leave the J-Ho's, only to become true believers in other religions or even political groups. My observations are limited and anecdotal, but they seem to confirm Hoffer's claim.

Hoffer's book is a great read, of practical value to anyone exiting a high-control group.

Steve

• Badger
    Badger

I recently began attending Friends meetings (Quakers). I found it to be a very liberating, spiritual experience without the dogma and control that us xjw's grew up around.

I suppose you should look for another faith if you feel that your own spiritual needs are not being met alone. If that's not the case, though, there's not much need or want to look.

• Lilac5
    Lilac5

Carmel: not any religion in particular, just was thinking about my kids, ya know, maybe that they needed some sort of sprituality. My 10 year old wants to be Morman (all his friend are) I'm thinking............uuuummmm.................NO!!!! I've tried to teach them about some things, but I'm scared alot of my experiences with the Borg may have influenced what I've taught them. Just thinking maybe someone else would be better at it than an X-DUB.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit