Oh Come On, England..

by Englishman 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Englishman
    Englishman

I mean to say!

2 - nil up against Austria in a World Cup qualifier last night. England rated the worlds number 8, Austria rated 90th.

And we let 'em equalise!

Sheesh. We were 2 up against Portugal in the quarter-finals at Euro 2004 and we lost 3 - 2!

On paper, an away draw against Austria might seem a reasonable result. But it wasn't. We should have stuffed 'em out of sight!

As for our goal-keeper, well..

Englishman.

• Simon
    Simon

I think Sven is useless. What are we paying him £4m for ?!?

WHAT HAS HE ACHIEVED ?

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

From a distance.....

it seems that the pendulum has swung too far! So many 'foreign' players and managers. Are the poms really so bad at football??

I wonder why the numbers of "guest" players can't be capped??

• Dansk
    Dansk

Actually, I don't think you can blame Sven for an unexpected but not uncommon howler from David James - but, then again, he DID pick him!

Trouble is, Rio Ferdinand is still suspended and Sol Campbell is injured. And don't forget Wayne Rooney is still injured.

I think Frank Lampard is over-rated and, dare I say it, Gary Neville is always suspect against skilful players. We desperately need a good goalkeeper, but who??? A new Gary Neville - but who?? Someone to replace Frank Lampard - but who?? Nicky Butt is also a has-been, so forget him. I actually prefer Joe Cole to Lampard and am just grateful that Steven Gerrard is there to give us the strength and direction in midfield. David Beckham's passing left much to be desired, also.

I think we'll have a better idea of how bad or good we are against Poland. Trouble is, the FA has a reputation for standing behind its appointments UNTIL we fail to qualify for tournaments rather than dismissing them during the qualifying stages.

Let's be honest. Watching England is always a frustrating business and has been since the glorious days of 1966! Once Brian Clough was overlooked for the England job I knew it was diplomats the FA wanted and not the best man for the job. Almost 40 years since we last won a trophy says it all................. For goodness sake, Greece won the European Nations Cup!!

Ian

• Pole
    Pole
    I think we'll have a better idea of how bad or good we are against Poland.

So what are your predictions? Despite defeting NI yesterday Poland's team is in a shambles (as usual). It has been totally unpredictable for the last 20 years though, so we (the Poles) may be lucky on Wednesday.

Realistically speaking, I'd say England 1:0 Poland.

• Freedom Fighter
    Freedom Fighter

You should do what we did the other night - make sure you are playing in a ground with dodgy floodlights!

Spain V Scotland was a very dirty game - we don't have many skillful players anymore and tend to stop the opposition playing rather than make chances ourselves.

I am not optimistic regarding the game against Slovenia - if we hold out for a draw I'll be happy.

FF

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    What are we paying him £4m for ?!?

Four million ?????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Struth,mate, that's not a bad little earner!!

• Simon
    Simon

Here is the problem with Sven and why he'll never win anything for England:

"If we play as we did in the first half against Austria I don't think we'll lose too many games or too many points.

He is too obsessed with defense and "not losing". To win trophies you have to be determined to win.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/3629222.stm

• fleaman uk
    fleaman uk

Sheesh. We were 2 up against Portugal in the quarter-finals at Euro 2004 and we lost 3 - 2!

If only that was the case,but we lost on bloody penaltieas again!!My humble opinion says to drop Becks and maybe bring in phillips?Why not...becks has been a liability for a Year now!!

• fleaman uk
    fleaman uk

..and with my 100th post i say replace sven with Sir Clive!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit