What do you do when you're feeling down??

by Nicolas 23 Replies latest jw friends

• patio34
    patio34

Good question and I'm glad you brought it up.

1. About the rest of the world: I try to listen "lightly" to the news. I don't listen to what are nothing more than crime reports nor other things that I can't do anything about (a la Scully). But I do keep up. It's better, imo, to read the news than listen to it, as you can skim or skip the irrelevant-to-you parts.

2. Personal things: I journal. I read that in an controlled study, the persons who journaled 20 minutes per day vs. ones who did not had better immune systems at the end of 60 days. It seems they used blood test criteria to determine this.

Other things are books and movies. I just watched Veronica Guerin and it puts things into perspective. She was an assassinated Irish journalist.

Or learning something new.

Cheers!

Pat

• Mulan
    Mulan

Pat..........I can relate about the news. I get so stressed about the election coming up. I had to stop watching that part of the news.

Sometimes I clean out a closet or a kitchen cupboard. Just doing something productive can break me out of it too. Usually though, I don't feel like doing anything and just sit and watch TV, to make the time pass.

• Earnest
    Earnest

Whenever life gets you down, Mrs. Brown,
    And things seem hard or tough,
    And people are stupid, obnoxious, or daft,
    And you feel that you've had quite enough,
    Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving
    And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour,
    That's orbiting at nineteen miles a second, so it's reckoned,
    A sun that is the source of all our power.
    The sun and you and me and all the stars that we can see
    Are moving at a million miles a day
    In an outer spiral arm, at forty thousand miles an hour,
    Of the galaxy we call the 'Milky Way'.
    Our galaxy itself contains a hundred billion stars.
    It's a hundred thousand light years side to side.
    It bulges in the middle, sixteen thousand light years thick,
    But out by us, it's just three thousand light years wide.
    We're thirty thousand light years from galactic central point.
    We go 'round every two hundred million years,
    And our galaxy is only one of millions of billions
    In this amazing and expanding universe.
    The universe itself keeps on expanding and expanding
    In all of the directions it can whizz
    As fast as it can go, at the speed of light, you know,
    Twelve million miles a minute, and that's the fastest speed there is.
    So remember, when you're feeling very small and insecure,
    How amazingly unlikely is your birth,
    And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space,
    'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth.

- from Monty Python's The Meaning of Life

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

Drink.. alcohol.. in large quantities..

• Princess
    Princess

It doesn't happen to me much but when it does...

I have to clean the house, otherwise I get more depressed. Having a clean house makes me feel so much better.

I go for a run. Usually four miles will do the trick. Sometimes longer is necessary. For me, running a very long distance that seems impossible makes me feel strong. It also forces me to think and deal with whatever has upset me. I can't always solve the problem but I usually find ways to make it better.

I don't watch the news and I don't read the paper. I can't stand the misery and it's too damn depressing so I avoid it.

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

Whistle a happy tune. Then everything isn't so bad.

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

Ok, here is something more practical and not quite so weird, and simple: Why? Just ask the question why, not so much why you feel down at a particular time, identifying particular causes, although that can be useful for the time, but why do you feel down, period?

The question of what to do when feeling down is somewhat disconnected isn't it? It doesn't really address why you're feeling down, it's aimed at anything you can do that makes you feel better. Naturally this may not get to the cause of the feeling, and although band-aid measures are useful too it is even more temporary than understanding the why for this particular occurance than understanding why it is over time.

But I have to point out it isn't so much figuring anything out, sometimes insights and epiphanies just come - so of course not to worry about that so much. In fact if you come to the half way point where you see you really don't know why then the feeling is most likely gone. (not that it is strictly a linear sequence, usually there is some back and forth) The important thing is there is real inquiry into the question, not just forming a question just to put it into a concept, but a real curiosity, and your intention will determine how deep it eventually goes - this particular incident, this lifetime, or even the nature of human suffering itself. Don't think it's something so big that you can't get it, in fact you've heard things other people have said that gets at it doesn't it? And you recognize there is some truth in that, so it's already there in you.

• Nicolas
    Nicolas

drink a cup of urine?? Loll, thank you Minimus, you made my day with your sarcastic sentence.

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Nicolas..... type into google "drinking urine" and see what you get. Here's a sample:

3 million Chinese drink urine
    6/1/01
    Beijing - More than three million Chinese drink their own urine in order to live healthier and longer lives, state media reported on Friday.

One of them is Zhu Jinfu, a 71-year-old senior engineer from the eastern city of Nanjing, who has been drinking his own urine since he was 13, the Xinhua news agency said.

Zhu told 300 participants at an academic seminar held this week in northeastern Liaoning province that he got the idea from his ancestors, who had enjoyed great longevity due to their drinking habits.

Yang Liansheng, a professor from the Liaoning Institute of Traditional Chinese Medicine, was quoted by Xinhua as trying to give a scientific explanation of the alleged benefits of drinking urine.

"Urine is turned into something like blood serum after it is filtered by the kidney," he said. "Therefore, urine contains no bacteria and is more sanitary than blood."

The tradition of urine drinking has roots all the way back to ancient China, according to a website that promotes urine as "the fountain of youth".

An ancient pharmaceutical dictionary, "Shang Han Lun," recommends mixing medical herbs with urine in order to enhance the impact of the medication. - Sapa-AFP
  • Panda
    Panda

SLEEP

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit