Russian school children hostage ends

by Simon 43 Replies latest social current

• little witch
    little witch

The Mormans own Utah. they own political influence, land, and most every person who lives there is a morman. Can they break away and create their own little universe? No! Hell No!

The ideas of the minority will not and cannot create a seperate nation. Aint gonna happen. No more than we will allow the jw to take control of an area and impose a minority rule. Such is anti democratic.

It doesnt work that way....one persons religious views are personal, not nation making. When that happens, run for your life! Seperation of church and state. (read religion and state). Screw theocracy! We cannot allow zeolots of any flavor to take over an entire population anywhere in the world.

Religion of all kinds must be minimized, and humanitarianism must be propegated.... Universal right to life and liberty does not equal right to autonomous statehood. It means being able to practice your beliefs without taking control of government. It means being able to practice your belief WITHIN CONFINES OF OTHERS.

To be able to practice freely, without infringing on others....My daughters will not wear a burka, and they will not be made to pronounce jesus as god. Get it????? Religion will not rule our world. Prepare for the ultimate fight any of you who think that an unseen god will rule the world....

That pisses me off....

• Pole
    Pole
    Pole: Show how any type of example of how atheist's have turned into suicidal terrorists?

First, show me a country where atheists constitute the majority. This country has to be opressed by another country for several years, the poor atheists are killed off in thousands locked in refugee camps and their homes are destroyed.

The longer a country has been in trouble, the more religious or nationalist its people get. But this doesn't mean that religion is the source of the trouble. It may be used to fuel and sanctify the hatred, but its not the reason by itself.

If Jews had created their state on a Pacific Islands, the Palestinians would never send suicide bombers there for purely religious reasons. In this respect, what you've described as modern religious conflicts are very different from the medieval Crusades.

Here's an example:

Religion is used and sometimes even made-up or adjusted to achieve political aims. The kamikaze pilots are one example of such an ad hoc ideology. Initially they just swore a llegiance to Emperor and country - something that many atheists would do. With time they were cynically indoctrinated to believe that the divine wind of Kamikaze "would bring them deliverance at the darkest hour, just as it had in the 13th Century". The Emperor became a god worth dying for. By this point the Japanese military had a fundementalist fanatic religion at their disposal, although before the war the Japanese soldiers hadn't been religious in any fundamentalist sense. The decision to use this ideology was a purely cynical one:

" By 1945 it was apparent that Japan was losing the War in the Pacific. As a last ditch effort to turn around their flagging fortunes, the Japanese revived the name Kamikaze and applied it to the suicide missions of their air force. Japanese Vice Admiral Takashiro Ohnishi had noted that the most effective way to inflict damage to warships of the allies was to crash planes into them. He pointed out that one accidental crash could do more damage than ten planes firing machine guns. It was decided that pilots would henceforth purposely crash their planes, which were to be loaded with half a ton of explosives, into enemy warships. "

But you could never say that these Japanese pilots became suicide bombers and that Japan joined the WWII for religious reasons!!!

The original reasons were political and military ones.

With time the Japanese became much disappointed with this idea.

"With the passing of time, however, some of those who survived the Kamikaze raids have become criticial of the policy. Saburo Sakai, a former Imperial Navy Ace, says: Kamikaze is a surprise attack, according to our ancient war tactics. Surprise attacks will be successful the first time, maybe two or three times. But what fool would continue the same attacks for ten months? Emperor Hirohito must have realised it. He should have said Stop."

Now, was Hirohito a religious fanatic? No, as a God he was just as cynical as Stalin. Sadly enough many Kamikaze pilots did complete their missions. Did Hirohito had his country join the war for religious reasons?

If we want to stay on topic the real question is this:

If Chechnya was 100% atheist, would there be no terrorism in the south of the Russian Federation today? We don't know for sure if there would be suicide bombers, because we haven't had a 100% atheist country under lengthy oppression in history, but I'm quite sure some extreme ideology would be invented, either a religious or political one. Suicide bombers weren't my point anyway. As for other forms of terrorism there have been examples of purely political terrorism, eg. the Basque ETA.

I consider myself atheist/agnostic. BUt I'm not sure how easy it would be to indoctrinate me if I was in the kind situation that a lot of Chechnyans have been experiencing for years. Perhaps that's because I'm Polish and Poland has suffered occupation from 3 different powers over the last 350 years.

And by the way, some people say the biggest act of terrorism in the known history is Hiroshima and Nagasaki, and not the Kamikaze pilots.

Anyway, in both cases religion was not the real reason.

Pole

• Panda
    Panda

I'm with you Little Witch. How amazing that religion which was created by people ends up becoming the ruling entity. Utah is a good example. And religion helps create cultural identity; which creates cultural norms; which creates laws; which creates what is legally acceptable; which creates the list of good/evil; which creates every individuals standing w/in that culture (oh and by extension creates the space for infidels who dare to tell us we can't be a governing religion.)

When a group of adults decides to teach another group of adults a brutal lesson using children --- it's usually religious.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

Thank you Panda and Little Witch

• Valis
    Valis

Eh in Chechnya the violence is happening by people who happen to be muslims...they have lived in and around that area for centuries...it isn't just religious, but they are clearly using religious ties to get assistance in thier guerilla warfare.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Pole
    Pole
    it isn't just religious, but they are clearly using religious ties to get assistance in thier guerilla warfare.
  • Pole
    Pole
    it isn't just religious, but they are clearly using religious ties to get assistance in thier guerilla warfare.

Valis,

1) If Chechnyans were atheist, would they be fighting now for freedom (using non-religious ties), and resorting to cruel terrorism as a result of long frustration? Perhaps not as cruel as it is now, but ETA style non-religious terrorism for instance.

2) If you were to solve this problem, would you rather try to destroy the Muslim society with its religious dimensions as the main reason for the problem? Or would you try to negotiate a fair political solution (some form of satisfactory independence, etc.)?

• Valis
    Valis
    1) If Chechnyans were atheist, would they be fighting now for freedom (using non-religious ties), and resorting to cruel terrorism as a result of long frustration?

wel ya they would, otherwise where would they get thier weapons? I think of some of the ethnic conflicts in Africa where religion was less of an issue than what tribe you were in. I also see plain old mercenaries as an option, much like the son? of Margaret Thatcher was doing in Africa as well.

2) If you were to solve this problem, would you rather try to destroy the Muslim society with its religious dimensions as the main reason for the problem? Or would you try to negotiate a fair political solution (some form of satisfactory independence, etc.)?

Eh well, I don't know about destroying the muslim society, but I also see Russian interests in keeping groups like the Taliban from controlling Chechnya. Honestly Pole, I would have to think about your last question. How do you balance religious preference w/political freedom? I think that is one big problem to overcome.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Pole
    Pole

Valis,

wel ya they would, otherwise where would they get thier weapons? I think of some of the ethnic conflicts in Africa where religion was less of an issue than what tribe you were in. I also see plain old mercenaries as an option, much like the son? of Margaret Thatcher was doing in Africa as well.

So isn't religion just part of the problem? A very nasty, aggravating factor, but not the original reason for all this mess.

Eh well, I don't know about destroying the muslim society, but I also see Russian interests in keeping groups like the Taliban from controlling Chechnya. Honestly Pole, I would have to think about your last question. How do you balance religious preference w/political freedom? I think that is one big problem to overcome.

The Taliban are another issue, but I see your point. I don't expect you to solve this problem. As it is, the situation is a real mess, indeed. The Israeli situation is a religious mess too, because of the wrong policies which have been used for some 50 years now. And didn't Afghanistan become a fundamentalist mess partly because nobody had given a damn about it in political terms for a long time before 9/11?

In my opinion it's impossible to obliterate religion from people's minds much as we would like it. It's much more practical to address the more tangible political issues. Create peace, justice and stability and relligous hatred will start disapearing. IMHO that is why Saudi Arabia not the most likely muslim country to declare a erligious war on Israel. It simply doesn't pay off.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

Pole

Dacheech "Is not the Jewish/Palestinian a religious issue?

Pole: Not really."

Pole: "The Israeli situation is a religious mess too, because of the wrong policies which have been used for some 50 years now. And didn't Afghanistan become a fundamentalist mess partly because nobody had given a damn about it in political terms for a long time before 9/11?"

Are you not contradicitng yourself?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit