MY BREAKFAST WITH A JW THIS MORNING

by Terry 38 Replies latest jw friends

• confusedjw
    confusedjw
    Johnny: "I know what you are getting at. I just refuse to believe the Watchtower is a prophet of god.

Of course the real problem is that he refuses NOT to believe they are God's prophet / Channel.

Terry: Ask him what he would think if one of his children joined a "religion" that claimed to be the channel from God and yet you could easily point to the date setting errors and teach that all others are bad association.

Would he try to reason with them?

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Me: "So what exactly do you get out of going to the Kingdom Hall with its stupid elders, its changeable policies, it's false date-setting and constant evidence of being a false prophet?"

Johnny: "My family and friends are there. I don't want to leave them."

What is the difference between that and the pld "Conversation stopper" "I have my own religion, thankyou" We always said that it was not good enough to cling to your religion, one had to examine the truth.. Perhaps Johnny realised what he had said and will consider further. At least he said it... I believe that he was voicing what many secretly feel, if they dared admit it..

• Terry
    Terry

I once asked Johnny if it weren't blatantly hypcritical to go to a stranger's door and ask them to read magazines and books designed for the sole purpose of changing the respondent's religion; while at the same time refusing to read similar material from others.

He dodged the question!

• Monski
    Monski

I like your posts Terry. Always a thought provoking read.

This one just shows how blinded JW's are. It seems that everything inexplicable requires faith. An easy way out. Question askers are considered to be apostates and those who show reasoning are disfellowshipped! I'm glad I'm one of those "shunned" people! At least I don't have to listen to the drivel anymore.

• Terry
    Terry

I have to think it is similar to that old joke about the goldfish.

One is an atheist and the other a believer.

The second fish says to the first:

"Okay, if there is no God--WHO CHANGES THE WATER?"

If I talked Johnny out of his fishbowl; he'd suffocate in fresh air!

That is what I fear. He may have adapted so well to his surroundings he is simply unable to transition into life as a human.

• Preston
    Preston

Terry,

From what I gelaned (UGH!!! i hate that word) fro your post, all i can say is you remember conversations a helluva lot better than most people...

- Preston

• Terry
    Terry

Preston,

I use to have an eidetic memory; but, years of aging and too much burgandy have damaged my "gift".

If I watch a movie I can tell you the entire plot and most of the dialogue afterward. My wife absolutely cannot stand when I do this.

For the "fun" of it, as a student in the 8th grade, I memorized the entire poem, THE RIME OF THE ANCIENT MARINER and recited it in class for extra credit.

But, enough of me talking about myself. Let someone else talk about me! :)

• ESTEE
    ESTEE

Yo Terry!

I'll talk about you!

Me: "So what exactly do you get out of going to the Kingdom Hall with its stupid elders, its changeable policies, it's false date-setting and constant evidence of being a false prophet?"

Johnny: "My family and friends are there. I don't want to leave them."

Me: "And that differs from a classic HOSTAGE SITUATION exactly how?"

Sounds like your friend is on his way out ... whether he knows it or not. Sounds like the only reason he is still there is because of his family and friends. I think your analogy of the HOSTAGE SITUATION makes total sense. I called it emotional blackmail ... people do understand what hostage situations are ... Your friend will probably remember this analogy every time he is sitting in the kingdumb fall, squirming listening to the dumb elders and looking at his watch, wondering how much longer ...

Well done, Terry!

Love,

ESTEE

• Terry
    Terry

Gorshk, thanks Olive!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit