The concept of sin?

by El blanko 22 Replies latest watchtower bible

• ezekiel3
    ezekiel3

I wonder if even Jesus accepted the concept of sin. He freely forgave sin before he died. He associated with "sinners." He condoned sinning, what was that about "throwing the first stone?" Hmmm...

• Terry
    Terry

I'm fascinated by the following:

Jesus, as he was dying, (it must have really hurt to speak at all) said: "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do".

The basis for this forgiveness? There has to be some Just basis, doesn't there?

We were told by JW wisdom that we had to:

1.Study the Truth first

2.Dedicate our lives to Jehovah

3.Symbolize our dedication by water immersion

4.Continue to work out our salvation by good works

However--Jesus seems to be disregarding ALL of those prerequisites.

What is the basis for the forgiveness, then?

CRUEL HUMAN IGNORANCE!

There doesn't seem to be any justice involved at all.

• bebu
    bebu
    The basis for this forgiveness? There has to be some Just basis, doesn't there?

We were told by JW wisdom that we had to:

1.Study the Truth first (WORKS)

2.Dedicate our lives to Jehovah (WORKS)

3.Symbolize our dedication by water immersion (WORKS)

4.Continue to work out our salvation by good works (DO MORE WORK)

The JW "wisdom" is the same ol' same ol'. Where in the world is Faith and Grace?

What is the basis for the forgiveness, then?

CRUEL HUMAN IGNORANCE!

I consider people who forgive me neither cruel nor ignorant, but immensely gracious. If we are not going to be held liable for our sins, however we perceive them personally (ie, whether Chechen terrorist or sensitive soul)-- it certainly must need a lot of grace--and that is something that totally defies our logic. Maybe that's why the gospel is called the Foolishness of God.

Back to the original question, I think that ONE of the most defining traits of humanity is their conscience. How 'right and wrong' is described by various cultures thru the long ages, and the need to have conscience issues get resolved in order to restore harmony is fascinating--Jews and Christians don't have a corner on this market. Again, it is a universal trait of humanity. But the portrayal of sin (toward God, toward others) and the need for resolution/harmony is central in the Bible--both OT and NT--and the themes have 'traveled well' thru cultures & societies because of the universal "moral" trait (and not to imply that everyone in every culture agrees).

The social scientists have interesting thoughts of how morality "developed" or evolved... Personally, it seems that their best guesses always keep pre-supposing the moral ability which are supposed to evolve.

El Blanko, if you are feeling aware of sin it might be social training from evolution, etc.... or it might be God, actually getting involved in your life, helping you notice something important, helping you want what you need.

bebu

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit