The concept of sin?

by El blanko 22 Replies latest watchtower bible

• El blanko
    El blanko

Ok, here is one that jabs into my mind occasionally.

The concept of 'sin' and the fallen state of man is rather profound and used to blow my mind, especially when Paul broke down the concept when writing about the struggle with the fleshly state. I could relate to those words and it was originally one of the main reasons I moved towards the scriptures (that, and the carrot of living forever of course ).

Let me asked you learned ones a question:

Did the concept of sin originate with the Jewish/Christian experience, or is it traceable to other mythological sources?

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

• How does one "free oneself" to attain Nirvana?
    • What is kharmic debt?
    • Why did the Greeks look down on "running away from your fate"?
    • Where did the "weight" come from, that the Egyptians feared would ultimately be heavier than a feather?

I'll stand corrected, but to my understanding the only belief system that has "sin" and also "free forgiveness without works", is the Christian one.

• El blanko
    El blanko

• How does one "free oneself" to attain Nirvana?

By moving beyond mere physical desire; centering oneself with the great universal spirit that joins all and is all?

• What is kharmic debt?

An accumulation of selfish acts that build up throughout one's physical life?

• Why did the Greeks look down on "running away from your fate"?

Not to turn and face one's demon is a form of moral cowardice?

• Where did the "weight" come from, that the Egyptians feared would ultimately be heavier than a feather?

No idea!

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

LOL

My point was in answer to this:

Did the concept of sin originate with the Jewish/Christian experience, or is it traceable to other mythological sources?

Wherein I attempted to demonstrate that the concept of sin is pandemic.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Many particularities of the Christian concept of sin might be traced back to the priestly use of the Hebrew word chatta'th, which belongs to the ritual, not moral, sphere.

Just check the occurrences of "sin" in some formal (or literal) translation of Leviticus and you will find that it is seldom if ever connected with a moral flaw. The issue is ritual uncleanness.

The metaphorical use of the term in Deuteronomistic history, the general moralization of religion in Hellenistic times, and the specific Pauline theology are links between the old priestly concept and the Christian one(s).

• Sirona
    Sirona

LittleToe

I'll stand corrected, but to my understanding the only belief system that has "sin" and also "free forgiveness without works", is the Christian one.

That is a very interesting point LT. The thing is, other belief systems may not accept sin in the sense of "a wrong act which means you need forgiveness" and therefore there is no need for "free forgiveness without works"

A person's actions produce an effect which IMHO cannot be avoided. Even the Christian God doesn't shield us from the direct effects of our transgressions, even if he may tell us we are now "forgiven" and our eternal soul is safe.

Sirona

• El blanko
    El blanko

It's interesting isn't it, the whole 'sin' thing

By the way LT - I was kinda joking with my response.

Surely part of the Christian code is to produce works worthy of Christ & God? Acts within the objective realm to show that one is truly sorrowful for the sinful state of man?

I wish I could be liberated from the concept of sin, it has stayed with me for years and years and often feels like a burden. I feel really bad about myself some days and I doubt I am doing many things at the moment to justify my negative feelings.

Faith eh - what a joke that seems to me at times. I'm fed up trying to believe in invisible hopes & dreams. I need God to touch me on the shoulder and give me something tangible to grapple with for a change!

Sorry... going off the subject a bit there - just having a moan

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    I feel really bad about myself some days and I doubt I am doing many things at the moment to justify my negative feelings.

I read an article one time. It was about feeling guilt. The point of the article was that guilt is not a healthy emotion when applied to every little mistake we make. Regret is a much healthier way to feel than to feel quilty.

I regret that my health prevented me from doing certain things with my children. I don't feel guilty about it. I don't agonize over it. I feel regret. This is healthier or me.

My sweet and wonderful boyfriend tells me, when I start to spiral into guilt: "You're not Adolph Hitler or one of the Manson family, lighten up." And he's right.

I hope my words are not too confusing.

Flyin'

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Sirona:I agree.
    I was just touching on the systems that include a "sin" concept.

I don't think the Taoist constructs of Yin/Yang employ sin either. They are more for a balance of dark and light.

ElBlanko:
    I know, hence the "LOL"

I'm getting a little concerned. Folks seem to be taking me as being abrupt, lately. Has something changed in the way I'm expressing myself???

Flyin:Nice responce

• myauntfanny
    myauntfanny

I think the concept of sin begins with our fundamental imperfection. It's just that some religions think it's really bad to be imperfect and screw up and they call it sin, and other's think it's all just part of the flow.

I have problems with the idea of salvation through works OR grace because I can't see how any amount of forgiveness can erase our acts or relieve us of either guilt or payment (in the sense of restoring the balance). Which is sort of what Sirona said.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit