Power Outages at the KH

by Mysterious 15 Replies latest jw experiences

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

Anyone have any power outage stories? I remember all the kids would silently cheer when the lights went out and hope they stayed out. I mean no more silly grin plastered on your face pretending you would enjoy it.

I remember one time someone went to their car to get a flashlight and they continued the talk with it. They used to do the questions too and the people with loud voices would answer without the mics, mostly older ones who remembered what is was like before microphones. I remember getting to go home early ONCE but that was very rare.

• blondie
    blondie

Power outages--when the congregation didn't have the money to pay the bills....

I can remember when the power went out in one KH; my hubbie has a small flashlight on his key chain. The only light in the KH.I

I can remember a convention where the power went out during the Noah drama just as the rain started to fall inside and outside the facility. 10,000 JWs in the dark...but then what is new?

Blondie

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

I remember once when an old brother passed out during his talk. Scared the bloody hell out of me.

Our halls actually had windows most of the time.

CZAR

• Mysterious
    Mysterious
    Our halls actually had windows most of the time.

I protest that can't possibly have been a legitimate place of worship.

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

It caused a few comments on the part of visiting CO's I believe. I must admit, I was very uncomfortable. I thought the demons could get in through the windows... turns out they rode in the watchtowers...

CZAR

• Seven666
    Seven666

i remember those power outages as a kid, they were so fun

• Nancy Drake
    Nancy Drake

When we built a new kingdom hall, the first meeting was without electricity. They even attempted Kingdumb Melodies without prerecorded accompaniment! AHHHHHHHHHHHH! If you wanna hear already off-key singers without any type of back up...sheesh! All I could picture was Jehovah putting his hands over his ears.

All in attendance at the electricity-less meeting were all raving afterwards about how uplifting the experience was. They likened it to our dear brothers in third world countries that had to have meetings without electricity. They acted like being in a poor country was some kind of NOVELTY!

Dorks

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

On Sunday, during the very last talk at the 1990 Convention, all the lights went out. I was damn near asleep, but the lights going out woke me up. Unfortunately, that was the only thing that went out. The dude giving the talk said, "Well, we still have sound, so let's keep going...." someone brought him a flashlight while we all sat in the dark listening to his crap. The lights slowly came on after about 20 minutes. By the time he was finished, all the lights were back on and everyone went home.

• Poztate
    Poztate
    I can remember a convention where the power went out during the Noah drama just as the rain started to fall inside and outside the facility. 10,000 JWs in the dark...but then what is new?

Blondie

Let me think...The Noah drama...The lights go out and rain starts to fall. I bet more than one dub thought that this could be the start of the big "A" Wow...Lucky me,good thing I went today instead of shopping at Wal-Mart like I really wanted to do.

• Purza
    Purza

I can only remember one power outage. And how did they solve it? Someone drove up as close as they could to the front door of the KH and then turned their headlights on to shine into the hall. It was an eerie light.

And we were so good that we sang without music because we knew the tune (somewhat).

Those were the days. . . .

Purza

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit