The Passion of the Christ questions (Spoilers within)

by recoveringjw 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Sirona
    Sirona

Ask Leolaia, there was a thread when the Passion came out and she gave some *really interesting* information about the origins of the story. Apparently the "passion" is based upon another writing (not the bible) and the hooded figure and baby have some meaning related to that. Sorry I can't recall the details but it was amazingly interesting...

Where are you Leolaia?

Sirona

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

The hooded character was satan.

He was played by a woman to give him a more androgynous look (angels aren't male/female, doncha know).

As RR says, the "maggot" was actually was the tail of a snake, at which point a bit of artistic license had him fullfilling Gen.3:15 in the Garden of Gethsemane, by treading on it's head.

The scene at the end was him screaming from hell, after he had been defeated.
    Did you notice the teardrop from heaven, that preceded it (and the earthquake)?

• recoveringjw
    recoveringjw

LT--I did notice that.

RR--Of course!! I should have remembered about the 12 stations of the cross. Guess I was not thinking like a Catholic.

Sirona--Thanks. When I have a mo' I will look up Leolaia's posts about that---she is SO smart!

Guess I should have done my research before I watched the movie.

But, I wonder, what about people who watch the movie who have absolutely no religious background? Not even a tainted one? Is this supposed to get them interested in being Catholic? What about the atheists who watch the movie? Gaaah. Ok. I'll stop talking now.

Bethany

• Sirona
    Sirona

recovering,

I cried and cried at that film. Didn't make me want to be a Christian though...so I suppose many would simply view it as a good story.

Sirona

• RR
    RR

LT, I didn't remember seeing the teardrop when I first watched the movbie in the theaters, or maybe it didn't register, I did catch it last night when we were watching the DVD.

Bethany, it amazes me how many people quote the movie or just any Biblical movie as if it were from the scriptures itself.

RR

• recoveringjw
    recoveringjw

RR--It seems to me that a lot of peole have trouble separating movies and other entertainment media from "reality". And if they think that a movie is based on a "true story" they take it as fact.

I wonder if a lot of.....should I say non-religous? How about areligious--people who have no background with the Bible--I wonder if many of them watched the film.

• RR
    RR

Hey, Satan is actually a looker:

Rosalinda Celentano

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit