The Passion of the Christ questions (Spoilers within)

by recoveringjw 26 Replies latest jw friends

• dh
    dh

the character of the guy who was meant to be satan was very poor, pathetic even, the scenes he was in were very offputting to me.

• zen nudist
    zen nudist

THE PASSION, AKA the Judean chainsaw massacre

I found it odd that they injected the comedy of Jesus making a table, which is an idea which will catch on...

but hardly anyone remembers or comments on that....too overwhelmed by the needless violence...

the main thought I had watching this film, if Jesus existed and God existed and was really his dad, he was a very nasty piece of work for

allowing such needless and meaningless violence.

• dh
    dh
    I found it odd that they injected the comedy of Jesus making a table, which is an idea which will catch on...

yeah, that had slipped my mind, but at the time i remember thinking what the hell were they going on about, that annoyed me as well.

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

Mel Gibson said in an interview that the hooded character (portrayed by an actress) was Satan. Without being a movie critic and not welcoming theocratic debate, I could figure that out for myself with the bible knowledge that I have. I thought the movie was great for those of us who believe that Jesus died for all and that this is how it was supposed to be.

Gibson also injected some Catholic dogma into the movie. The woman who used a veil to wipe Christ's face was supposed to be Veronica............( a Catholic tradition) Hey.......I went to Catholic school and was going to go to a seminary..........but .......ALAS!.........my mother became a dub and convinced me that dubland was the true paradise. And so..........here I am today.

Also...........I think the cross was supposed to weigh about 150 lbs. or so. If a healthy and strong carpenter was put through the strength sapping torture that Christ was put through......could you imagine how many times he would fall while being whipped with a scourge or whatever.

So.........as I have recently read on the JWD.........about being tolerant of other beliefs............please be tolerant of my beliefs too. I believe in Jesus Christ and what he is according to the bible......

OK.........I'm done with my soapbox...........THANK YOU......... Brows

HappyDad

• HappyDad
  • recoveringjw
    recoveringjw

HappyDad,

Gosh, now I feel bad. I think I am v. tolerant of other people's beliefs. I was sort of setting aside those beliefs and merely discussing the movie and its portrayal of Jesus . Like I said, I wasn't trying to make light of what the movie was about--I watched it with an open mind. All I was nitpicking about was the manner in which these happenings to Jesus were put forth in the movie---In my opinion, they could have made it less....Hollywood, I guess

Bethany

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

Recovering jw,

My apologies to you. Nothing I said was directed at you and please don't feel bad about it. I was just kind of putting my own feelings into my post. What you stated was right on.

Guess I should consider putting my brain in gear before answering a post. Some of what I said had nothing to do with your topic. There are many things I still need to learn about replying to a post. Maybe what I said can be considered "hijacking" a thread........I don't know but would appreciate "constructive" critisism. I'll be more careful next time.

HappyDad Bag Head

• recoveringjw
    recoveringjw

HD,

Naw. It was probably me, being presumptious again. I figured you weren't referring to my post, I just felt the need to give you my $.02. And I am by no means an "expert" poster. I have read some of your posts and have enjoyed them.

It's hard sometimes, on the internet to convey emotions ,even with the use of emoticons.

No hard feelings, oK?

Bethany

• RR
    RR

I saw the movie and have the DVD.

The hooded pale man was really a women, who played satan. That wasn't a maggot, it was the tale of a snake, you'll notice the snake comes out from under his clothes and Jesus stomps it.

The movie is very much Catholic. You'll notice all those little slow mo moves, are actually frames, the stations of the cross, 12 of them.

RR

• Cicatrix
    Cicatrix

"The hooded pale man was really a women, who played satan. That wasn't a maggot, it was the tale of a snake, you'll notice the snake comes out from under his clothes and Jesus stomps it."

And once again, we see the tired old theme of woman as the purveyor of evil, lol.

It's interesting if you study mythology that at one time, snakes were considered divine, as were women. It was only with the advent of the sky god mythology that both became demonised. Literally and figuratively.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit