the returning ... a question for thos raised in hell (whoops "the truth")

by Odinseeker 18 Replies latest jw experiences

• Odinseeker
    Odinseeker

i was just wondering for thos that have been raised within and then were DF'ed ... did you return before giving it up for good?

i grew up with the terror of post VNam and 1975 being the end or the end being just around the cornor, i was DF'ed, thought long and hard

and returned anyway. jumped out again very soon and so i was wondering just how common this pattern was and how hard was it for you to break

away.

once i find the right place on this board and the time i will post my story in full but i just had to ask this question first :)

i was however ordained just recently in the Universal Life Church and am learning to be a wiccan what a change

Tim s

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Raised in it from the age of 11 - DFed when I was 33. I was still a believer and after 5 years went back and talked to an elder who was so nasty I couldn't believe I was talking to someone I had looked up to like a father. Then went to one meeting where they substituted my abusing ex to read the WT and say the pray. I almost threw up. Never went back but still took me another 5 years to find out it was all lies

Welcome

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

Was raised a 4th generation JW but, in spite of that, was a natural-magic kinda girl my whole life. Quietly drew away and followed the calling of the Great Spirit in a round-about sorta way. Was later DFed after declining to write a letter DAing myself. Went to a few meetings here and there through the past few years and read a little literature for my mom and also to give it a fair shake and a second (and third and fourth) hearing. Still didn't make any sense to me nor any appeal to my heart and spirit. Even thought about trying to return for the sake of my heartbroken, fearful mom, but there's just no way. Especially now that I have a daughter of my own.

Welcome to the forum!!!

• mysterio91
    mysterio91

I was never DF'd... but it's still hard to completely break away. I have not been to the hall in 6 years, except to see my uncles first public discourse. I have lots of family still in, and I'm sure you already know the amount of pressure they put on you to come back. It has only been over the past couple of months that I have decided that I will never return. There is still some fear, after all the organization does a lot to instil it in you, but my mind is made up. One and done. I did it once, never again.

• Odinseeker
    Odinseeker

it still amazes me the level of brain washing those PPL do, your trained to eat s**t and say yummy more please.

a few years ago i was playing "Better Person" with my EX and to show her up i was going to be reinstated first

needless to say that went nowhere. but my current wife had grown up in a religous house also and wanted to see what

the jdud were all about so in one of my meetings with the elders (one i had been close personal friends with) i asked

if his wife could study with my wife. his reply was "i want her to ask" like she was to come crawling, begging for them to

study with her. she was never in and had never really studied with anyone and they were treating her just like they did me.

anyway my point is that even after years of determend "Never Again" i still almost returned. the brainwashing cults of the

'70s dont have anything on this cult

tim s

• Snapdragon
    Snapdragon

It must be THE way to leave for good. My mother was back and forth many times. I recall the murmurs as we took our seats at the Thursday night meeting. "Oh, she's back again, wonder how long this will last?" I don't know that its what they said, but its what I was thinking.

It makes a world of sense, when you're raised to follow only one way of life, what else is there? Of course you'll try to go back. You feel this is the only truth. I did, (think it was the one truth) even until very recently. You all here, you helped me make up my mind on this matter. Thank you a million times over, again.

Just my bit.

~Snappy

• Snapdragon
    Snapdragon

Oh, and "hi" and welcome to you and Merry, and Mysterio. Watch out for the addictive nature of this environment. Its amazing how used to encouragement and support you'll become

Mysterio....I guess we're neighbors, and the same age. Any chance you ever attended a Madison Wisconsin meeting, in the mid 90's?

See you all around,

~A

• mysterio91
    mysterio91

Never made it to a Wiscon congregation... Always attended in Chicago. I also went to a few meeting in the Western Suburbs of Chicago, but that was at the very end. It's good to meet you though. We may have attended a District Convention together. Last Convention I went to was held a Comisky Park.(US Cellur Field)

• ezekiel3
    ezekiel3

Odin,

Welcome to the board! I'm just curious what you think of the WTS propaganda about witchcraft now that you study Wicca?

I ask this because it was my exposure to "demonic" and "spiritistic" subjects and beliefs that unlocked the JW bars on my mind. I found sincere people who loved the earth, not the boogey-man in the closet.

• kls
    kls

I was not raised in the cult but recruited as a teen . Welcome .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit