A farewell to Barney (onacruse)

by seven006 33 Replies latest jw friends

• seven006
    seven006

To those who missed it or for that matter, even care, Craig aka Barney Fife,Onacruse,Mr. Biker chick,The Terminator and Bald Headed Wookie (my favorite), is taking a very much needed break from this board. He's made it sound like he is leaving forever, if so I'll be taking bets on this one and might even give some odds. I just talked to him on the phone, it was maybe the fourth time I have called him out of the probably fifteen billion phone calls we have had. I could tell he was down when in the middle of one of the threads he started he said it was time for him to leave the board. I knew someday he would go, but I didn't like to see him go in the manner he did.

Craig has watched me come and go without any announcement several times in the last few years. Even though he did not make one of those famous "I'm leaving the board for good, good-by cruel world" kind'a threads, he snuck it in in the middle of his last thread. I hope he is not gone forever but I certainly understand the need for a break. Two and a half years ago, Alan F called me and told me he wanted me to talk to this guy. He gave Craig my number and our friendship began. In the beginning, our conversations consisted of him trying to defend some of the more bible based doctrines of the JW's and me laughing and making a few sarcastic comments (once in a great while, I do come off as sarcastic, it's an illness) and telling him he's a smart guy and he'll figure it all out someday.

I, as well as a few others like Alan and Farkel told Craig to come to JWD and start reading and posting. He was reluctant at first but in a few months joined the board. As with most things Craig does, he jumped in with both feet and made JWD a big part of his life. His big heart and kind character began to be seen by all. As Craig posted, read, researched and learned he began to change his views on almost every aspect of his life. He soon became a mod and as with some mods and ex-mods (such as myself), he found dealing with the day to day workings of a discussion board full of hurting (and mostly neurotic) people was sucking the life out of him. He was a big part of one of the biggest clean sweeps of disgruntled posters on this board and thus was given the nick name Barney Fife (yep, it was me who gave him that name, the man seemed to be on a mission from god) and his actions during that time eventually did a number on Craig.

Most people have no idea what kind of crap the mods have to deal with on a daily basis. I have the highest respect for those who can stick it out. I use to be a cop many years ago, that was easy compared to being a mod on JWD. Anyway, the mod job finally got to Craig a few months back and he resigned his position and turned in his Mayberry uniform. Oh ya, he met Bikerchick in the process, fell in love with her cheese and bologna sandwiches and then married her (I got a crock pot out of the deal) and once again, began a new life. For a ten foot tall middle aged exJW with hair grooming issues, he did damn good.

Craig has been through a lot in his life, a few marriages to JW women, the death of his brother, a sentence to Bethel hell, and the life altering smack up side the head when he come to realize the religion he put his whole heart and soul into was nothing more than a deceitful money making machine wrapped in a religious sheep's clothing. Not unlike most of us here on this board, it's why we are all here. During all this bullshit, one thing never changed in the man I call one of my very good friends. That is the incredibly huge heart that ticks in the middle of this Robocop sized teddy bear of a man. He has put a lot of himself into this board, and this board has taken a lot out of him. I must have told him a thousand times not to take it all too seriously. But, the only way Craig knows how to take things is seriously. That is because like many here, he thinks too much, feels too much and cares too much. Ya can't fault a guy for that, you just have to appreciate where he is coming from and thank Buddha (or reasonable facsimile) that you had the chance to get to know the guy, even if it was only for a short while.

Hopefully he will just take long breaks and slip in and out like many of us old time posters here do. If not, I know I will see and talk to him again and I'm sure the many here who have talked with him on the phone will stay in contact. Craig has helped shape ths board into what it is today, weather you like the way it is or not, his kind heart and strong presance will be here for a very long time.

Have a good break my friend or if you stay away for good, enjoy your life. Mayberry will not be the same without you,

Dave

PS: Craig just called and I told him I was going to post this. He told me he is going to do what I did the last time I disappeared from the board for a long rest. He is going to wipe out all the JW/ exJW / religious stuff off his computer and watch more Southpark. It feels great just to be able to come back here and play and not take it so serious. He's not even worried about the morons who will pull this up on a different exJW site and mock him and the rest of us like what usually happens. Walking away for a while feels great, closing the glass door behind you keeps the cold out. Life goes on.

• Farkel
    Farkel

Dave,

: just talked to him on the phone, it was maybe the fourth time I have called him out of the probably fifteen billion phone calls we have had.

LIE. You never called anyone in your LIFE! Well, maybe four out of fifteen billion times you have. Same difference.

Yeah, Craig is a soft-hearted super-smart guy. He is the kind of guy the WTS desperately needs, but seeks to eliminate from their ranks. That is their mistake.

That was a very well-written tribute to Craig, Dave. He's not dead boardwise, though. I have said my goodbyes on this board and then faced the wrath of detractors when I decided to come back. My bad.

By the way, I'm glad you are not a moderator anymore. I like you better as just yer average jerk. It makes me feel safe being in company with people like myself.

Farkel

• kls
    kls

Actually i was wondering what happened to him. You are a great friend to wright such a nice post of your friend. I do hope he does stop in sometimes just to say hello. It makes me glad when i see posters are strong enough to leave here and move on with their lives. ,Good for him

• seven006
    seven006

Doug,

You know me, I never call anyone and I don't do apostofests. I'm happy in my lonely little world. As far as Craig goes, I just had to write it.

BTW, I need to talk to you in a few months about doing a shopping cart for me when I start selling my fine art prints on the web. Shockwave sites like I build suck at shopping carts. As much as it will kill me to talk on the phone, I'll call you when I get closer if you're interested.

Take care,

D

• Glenmore
    Glenmore

But Craig, does that mean real live XJWs too? Glen (new phone 503-630-7905, please leave your phone number, I lost all email and phone numbers when we moved from the brewery)

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Dave,

You are a good man and a good friend. Craig need never fear the shadows in the night with someone like you looking out for him.

I am one of I think only three people in the continent of North America who avoided getting a phone call from Craig. Mind you, as you noted he is a very enthusiastic person and it took three number changes to finally lose him.

Craig, if you are reading this, take care of yourself. At our age life is counted off in months, so we must learn to enjoy our moments as they come and not waste a second on the past. It is a shattering experience having lost most of our lives and creativity to a cult that we gave our everything to, but we cannot fight yesterday's battles today.

Kindest regards - HS

• gumby
    gumby
    He's not even worried about the morons who will pull this up on a different exJW site and mock him and the rest of us like what usually happens.

Some already have.........it didn't take them long either.......thats what they do......that's what makes them happy.......because their assholes.

Nicely written Dave about my favorite intellectual nerd Craig. Hey....if Craigy feels it might help him clear his head and think about other things by leaving for awhile...or for good, then so be it. It might actually work as I've never tried it myself.

For me....I like being here because of my family still being in the borg and my desire to see the WTBTS bite the dust is strong. Even if my family were out....I'd still be intrested in watching them crumble because of the lives they touch in a negative way.

Also, many friends hang out here and I like my friends around.........especially when their miles away, yet in front of me. I like being able to "click" away my socializing when I'm not in the mood and I can do that here.

And.... I like talking about the things in life that bother me such as the god thing and why we are here. I can't find a better place to talk about it other than around some really smart friends who have/are doing the same......and comparing notes with them.

I say all this about me Craig, but I also know these are the things you also think about......so I figure your brainy ass will be back in a short while.

The real reason I hate to see you leave is the money thing. Now I gotta call ya you sick bastard!

Gumby

• Valis
    Valis

Gumblarney

• seven006
    seven006

HS,

Ya, the boy does love his phone. He's helped a lot of people with it, I'm sure AT&T is starting budget cutbacks now that he has left the board. I don't look after him as much as smack him up side the head once in a while, everyone needs a good smack from time to time.

Gumby,

No big surprise and as predictable as flies on shit. It must be nice being that delusional and that perfect all at the same time.

Craig has made some mistakes, hell, we all have. At least he has learned from them and is trying to make some positive adjustments in his life. It's better than sitting in your own piss and bitching about how unfair life is because everyone else is dry.

Life goes on.

Dave

• gumby
    gumby
    It's better than sitting in your own piss and bitching about how unfair life is

How about if a person skips the sitting in their piss part......and just bitches about life. Will that work?

Gumby

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit