Divorce rate of JW's less than the rest of the "world"??

by Samdownunder 20 Replies latest social entertainment

• blondie
    blondie

http://207.238.20.223/mormon.htm
    discusses Mormon proxy marriage customs
    "Uniquely, Baptism of the dead by proxy is strongly encouraged, leading to searches to identify dead ancestors so that they can also share in the life of paradise. There is also a practice of proxy marriage of the dead. Sealing as well as normal or proxy Baptisms and marriages take place in a temple ceremony. The details of such especially sacred rites are secret and the rites are not open to the public."

• JH
    JH

In their mind, if they divorce for a non scriptural reason, they die at Armageddon

• DebraDoll
    DebraDoll

EVERY person among my peer group in the organization, of the era (born in 57), and area (Staten Island NY) we grew up in married very young. EVERY one of us divorced. Hmmm....

• jgnat
    jgnat

Joker, where do you get your numbers? Last I checked, the Jehovah's Witnesses do not put themselves under demographic scrutiny. Especially if it make them look bad. The last hard data I had on the JW divorce rate was from the sixties. The most reliable estimates I have seen lately put them on par with their neighbours, the "worldly" people.

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

It seems to me that I saw some numbers a while ago that indicate that JWs have a higher divorce rate than the rest of society. I'll see if I can dig them up.

However, there are two issues here. First of all, it is quite possible that JWs stay together because they feel forced to do so. This keeps unhappy marraiges together, while making the stats look good.

The second issue is that JWs undoubtedly have a higher incidence of marital and family breakup caused by religion than most other groups. More JWs divorce, shun, and hate each other due to religious differences than other groups.

So, on the one hand, maybe they keep some marraiges together, but they break up and hurt an awful lot of families.

• ezekiel3
    ezekiel3

I know that MOST of the JW marriages I've known in the last 10 years have ended.

Just because a divorce is unscriptual does not mean JWs aren't getting divorced. Usually one mate will get DFed for fornication anyway, the other mate patiently waiting.

But there is food at the proper time: 8 Sept 2004 Awake, Is Divorce the Answer?

The full two-page fix-it manual states:

• Those contemplating divorce should ask themselves if their expectations regarding marriage are realistic
    • Instead of allowing negative feelings to affect your view, associate with those who have a strong committment to their marriage.
    • Professor Waite states: "A lot of problems resolve over time, and married people tend to get happier."
    • Oxford professor Micheal Argyle found that "the least happy in society were those who are divorced or separated.
    • Indeed, sticking together and applying Bible principles may result in a greater measure of happiness than you imagined possible.

Oh, it's all so clear now. No, doubt this will fix everthing.

• Will Power
    Will Power

Ezek

I'd really be interested in that article, is it possible for you to post it? Or anyone else?

thanks

will

• Margie
    Margie

But Ezekiel3, where are the bullet points covering waiting on Jehovah, praying more and going out in field service more?

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

My In-laws treat each other like they are divorced... But they are not legally, and they are in good standing in the Cong!

• Balsam
    Balsam

Well since I am half of a failed JW marriage then I guess I can add my 2 cents worth here. In the congregation I was in there was 5 divorces out of publishers numbering 67. Some of which were children. But the number of terrible and unhappy marriages was way higher. Partners dreaded the thought of going through Armaggedon into the new system with the partners they had. Some prayed that their spouse would die so they would be free. Divorce was strongly disapproved of but that didn't keep it happen to those who were tired of the baloney of the WTS concerning marriage.

Actually I can only think of a handfull of happy marriage I observed during my 29 year stay in the JW's. The sister's would talk of misery they felt, literally feeling imprisoned to their spouses. Even when adultery happen they hated to give it up, because of the guilt trips the Elders put on both spouses.

I think the divorce rate is about 25 to 33 percent probably. But the percentage of unhappy marriages is about 90% I am sure.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit