Ozzie's Weekend Poll #109 How much does a dub believe?

by ozziepost 10 Replies latest jw friends

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day all,

How's this weekend for you? I must confess to feeling a bit flat. I guess we've had a week of unsettling news - we're concerned about Ian (Dansk), we're unsettled by Eman's (Mike's) being taken ill so suddenly and Mrs Ozzie and I have been devastated over a catastrophe in the lives of some dear friends of ours in Queensland. l think the rain today adds to our grey mood. Not that it should - we've been praying for rain - we've been without it for so long, but now we have it I'm not sure we enjoy it enough!

Anyway, enough of all that, let's go polling!

This weekend's poll is prompted by discussions on the board during the past week about the 'rightness' of the Borg's teachings overall, even if not in every instance. Can that position be sustained?

Well, give this question some thought and please share with us your reminiscences.

So, here goes. The question is:

How much of WT doctrine does a Dub really believe? (choose one or suggest your own)

1. 110% !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Armageddon, 144,000, Great Crowd, paradise earth, WTS are Jehovah's organisation, F&DS, 1914, 1919, Dubs the only survivors, Cedar Point Ohio, the seven resolutions (seven bowls)

3. Armageddon, 144,000, Great Crowd, paradise earth, WTS are Jehovah's organisation, F&DS, 1914, 1919, Dubs the only survivors, Cedar Point Ohio

4. Armageddon, 144,000, Great Crowd, paradise earth, WTS are Jehovah's organisation, F&DS, 1914, 1919, Dubs the only survivors

5. Armageddon, 144,000, Great Crowd, paradise earth, WTS are Jehovah's organisation, F&DS, 1914, 1919

6. Armageddon, 144,000, Great Crowd, paradise earth, WTS are Jehovah's organisation, F&DS, 1914

7. Armageddon, 144,000, Great Crowd, paradise earth, F&DS, 1914

8. Armageddon, 144,000, Great Crowd, paradise earth, 1914

9. Armageddon, Great Crowd, paradise earth, 1914

10. Armageddon, paradise earth, 1914

11. Armageddon, paradise earth

12. paradise earth

13. nothing (they're in it for ......????)

It takes some thinking about, doesn't it? Get a nice cup of tea or coffee or, better still, a glass or two of shiraz and spend a while thinking on this. The loyalists claim that the WTS have "the basics" right. Have they really? Surely if they did the dubs would believe all of the basic doctrines but do they really? What do you think?

Enjoy.

Cheers, Ozzie

• CyrusThePersian
    CyrusThePersian

Hi! Sorry to hear about your flat weekend. About the poll, I think "11" fits most dubs pretty well. They are in love with the idea of having a pet lion in Paradise, and they believe that this ol' world is rotten-ripe for Armageddon's clean sweep, but other than that I don't thnk most dubs could explain, much less believe, the rest of the nonsense. They probably just let it drift right over their heads at the meetings. CyrusThePersian

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Thanks Cyrus!

OK, then, that's one vote for number 11.

Now we're started, I'd better add my own vote, so I'll go for #6.

Ozzie

• blondie
    blondie

#13, #6 plus Dubs the only survivors

Thoough many JWs avoid saying Dubs the only survivors, in my area if pressed would say that is what they belive, they figure non-JWs shouldn't be told until they are close to baptism (even not until after baptism). It is a motivator for them to try aciduously to convert family and friends.

Blondie

• Scully
    Scully

I think they all feel that they have to say they believe everything 110%.

The second you start doubting, the pressure to conform seems to come from all sides.

Approved association with Jehovah's Witnesses requires accepting the entire range of true teachings of the Bible, including those Scriptural beliefs that are unique to Jehovah's Witnesses. - Watchtower, April 1, 1986

The thing that "hooks" most people is the hope of seeing loved ones again in an earthly resurrection. That was one of the most difficult realizations for me, that it was not "real" that family members whom I'd just arrogantly assumed (like any good dubbie does) would Come Into The Truth? after they were resurrected in a lovely Paradise on Earth?, and that I'd squandered whatever chances I had to have a healthy relationship with them and to say good-bye to them because we were JWs and they weren't. I went through a year or so of intense grief over grandparents who had passed away many years before, because I didn't grieve their loss normally in the first place.

Love, Scully

• JAVA
    JAVA

Years ago while doing some pre-convention work, I was brought into a discussion about the latest "new light" from the Tower. As an elder, I remember thinking I didn't have a clue about the so-called proof of the topic. I could go to the ?Index? and read the party line, but truly understanding the ever-changing nuances and flip flops wasn?t something I spent time doing. Thinking about it today, I don?t believe the majority in most religions can go beyond the surface of religious dogma in their denomination. However, as a member of ?the Truth,? we held ourselves to a higher standard, and should have been able to prove our status. The fact is we did or couldn?t, and that worked to the Tower?s advantage. Like most JWs, if the Society said it, it must be true; why bother with the details? I guess I was a number 11, too. Michael

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

When I was in 38 years ago, I would say it was Number 6, but add Dubs the only survivors. I don't recall the 1919 bit.

• blondie
    blondie

1919 was a dated manufactured by Rutherford as when God/Jesus inspected his temple and found only the WTS practicing the true religion (with crosses, celebrating birthdays and Christmas, but close).

It fell by the wayside until the last few years when the WTS studied the Daniel and Isaiah books where 1919 appeared in every other paragraph with the average JW wondering "what is 1919?"

Blondie

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

For JWs, it is either # 11 or 13.

My mother ... #11 ... when I left the org, she confided in me that she felt much of what I did, and had for years (about the hyposcrisy and cover-ups ... my family has seen/experienced a lot). But she said that she believed Jehovah would end it some day, and the JWs is the best that is out there right now. Seeing how she was raised a witness herself, I don't see how she had much opportunity to explore other religions, but that is what she said! <shaking head .....>

One of my sisters ... #13 ... I have come to see that she believes none of it and is only in it out fear and blackmail. What a miserable existence! I have little sympathy for her though ... she has seen and experienced everything that I have and she is knowingly committing herself and her daughter to a long life full of hypocrisy and lies.

• gdt
    gdt

Guess what? May I add another 6? So what does that makes us? brothers??

Cheers, geoff. by the way, very nice time!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit