Tell me all your thoughts on God

by micheal 43 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Terry
    Terry

My dad fathered me and left.

I grew up feeling like a sissy. I didn't know football or fishing or sports of any kind. I couldn't fight and I blushed easily. Other kids went to baseball games with their dad. I stayed home with my grandmother and listened to opera.

When I was 6 I started asking my mom about my father. I pestered her. One evening she took me over to the telephone and dialed his number. I heard her say, "Wes? Your son is here and he wants to talk to you." I don't know what he said. My mother started cussing him out and an argument ended the call.

I was 25 years old when I hunted for him and found him. I showed up at his door and knocked.

He was surprised and embarrassed to see me; but, he invited me in.

We sized each other up pretty well. All the fathering I had needed all my life was pretty well beyond his power to provide. Whatever I was; I was.

He had never bought me a nickle's worth of gum or troubled his finger to dial my telephone.

Yet, here I was standing in his living room. Why? He hadn't found me; I had found him.

Should I have been grateful to him for what he had provided? What is the value of a haphazard shtup and the accident who followed?

I stayed awhile and travelled the 1500 miles back home to Texas. Yes, he was living in Michigan.

I didn't see him again until I was 33 years old. I was now living in California. He was visiting his sister in Pomona. My aunt called me and told me they were bringing my dad by my house to spend the night! What was I to make of that?

He showed up and ate dinner and then said he had to go out and by a pair of socks.

He didn't return until the bars had closed and he slept in late the next day reeking of alcohol. My Aunt and Uncle picked him up and off he went with nary a word of explanation or adieu.

The last time I heard from him was when a letter arrived. I was now 45 years old and he was dying. On his deathbed he wrote to say how much he loved me. Now he loved me. Now. He loved me now that the sun was was vanishing from the last spring sky and the horrors of eternal night were filling the room like a pool of ink. His thoughts were spent. I was the final afterthought. I was the tidying up in his conscience. Cross the t's and dot the i's and slip the bonds of fragile life into the void.

I walked over to the window and stared outside as my own children played in the sprinkler. The twilight gathered itself into starlight and the hush of day quietly became moonlight and cricket song. I crumpled the letter into my fist and tossed it in the trash.

These are my thoughts on God.

• micheal
    micheal

Thank you so much Terry on your thoughts - They speak volumes

Thanks again.

• neyank
    neyank

Thoughts on God?

What can we really say about a being that none of us have ever seen?

It's all about faith. Isn't it?

What we do know..... Is that we are here.

How we came to be here? Well we have been taught that we have been created.

That I believe. Someone...Something created us. But who or what? And for what reason?

Those of us that have believed what the Bible says, have believed that God created us and then let the devil trick, decieve, abuse, and otherwise have his way with us ever since.

I don't know how we are to understand this. A perfect being that is suppose to be love and goodness has let pure evil rule His creation.

Of course we can only look at this thru the eyes of imperfect creatures.

Will any of us ever come to know all the answers to the questions that mankind has been searching for millenia? Only time will tell.

There are other angles on the idea of God.

Look at all the different beliefs that people and religions thruought the world have on God.

There are even groups that believe we (the human race) were created by alien beings for the purpose of being their slaves and that the aproaching planetX, the tenth planet, Niburu or whatever else you want to call it is where this alien race resides.

There are many people that would go to their graves defending some of those beliefs.

Which group is correct? Do any of us have any proof whatsoever?

All we really know is what we see and feel. Everything else is interpertation. Faith.

Time will reveal all. Won't it?

neyank

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Micheal,

Your hunger to seek is commendable; and I know how at times, like a fish out of water, it can be agonizing. This is as it should be.

The biggest problem stems from the deep programing that what we seek is a thing-separate. This, could not be further from the truth.

First, what we seek is not a "thing"; and second, it is not "separate". It, is our true and real Identity.
    It can never be understood as a thing can when objectively seen or held in the hand.
    Not discoverable by the intellectual mind; it is Reality realized from the vast, silent, stillness that remains, when all thing-ness ceases.

No words will ever, ever give you what you want! Never ever.
    You already have what you want -- you actually are It!
    It is not yet seen, is all.

Shift attention inwards, and non-judgmentally into this moment of being. Go deeper, and deeper still -- and see.

j

• eljefe
    eljefe

As JW's, we were taught that God would answer any prayer in line with his will. I would assume that it is God's will to let people know that he exists. I prayed for a year for God to give me some kind of sign that he exists. A year later nothing had happened. Or maybe God didn't care enough about me to answer my prayer. I am guessing he just doesn't exist.

• ezekiel3
    ezekiel3

(a sigh of relief as I read JT comments)

Micheal: ask yourself an honest question

Are you trying to define God (religion) instead of letting God define you? (spirituality)

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

My thoughts on god:

I'm not sure either way if there is one, but I am sure that the BibleGod is not how he is.

• roybatty
    roybatty

Powerful Terry. It's beyond me how father's can be like that.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Elsewhere:
    I understood James' original post, but I'm struggling with yours. Could you elaborate, please

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Terry:
    It's great to see that you exceeded that which you inherited.
    That's a hard story. Thanks for sharing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit