Does anyone else take Atenolol or Nitro-Glycerine?

by ohiocowboy 15 Replies latest jw experiences

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

I just got back from the Doctor yesterday after discovering that my angina and valvular regurgitation from mitral valve prolapse are getting worse, and the angina lasting longer, and getting more intense. I was on Calan-(verapamil), but have now been switched to Atenolol and Nitro. I was prescribed the Nitro before, but never used it, as I was afraid to take it.

I have been searching the net about the Atenolol, and the side effects are kinda scary. It has to be taken continually, and cannot be stopped suddenly, as it can cause a heart attack if stopped abruptly. It can also cause some other strong effects. I hate taking strong meds such as that, and was wondering if anyone else knows about this med, or is on it, so I can get an idea of what kind of side effects I should prepare for.

I go to the hosp. next week for more tests, then will be scheduled for another catheterization.

Any others that know about these meds. that can give me advice would be appreciated!

• MelbaToast
    MelbaToast

OC-

My hubby takes nitro for chest pains. Its really nothing to be worried about. The side effects from Nitroglycerine are usually just headaches. (because of the effect of the drug on your veins and arteries. I really don't know a whole lot about the drug, but are you taking it everyday, like in a patch form, or are you just prescribed nitro for attacks?

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

Melba,

The Atenolol is once a day in the morning, but the nitro is when the angina pain starts, and is taken as needed. I'm not as worried about the nitro as I am the Atenolol.

• Undaunted Danny
    Undaunted Danny

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=Atenolol+&btnG=Google+Search I take atenolol because it lowers my BP and pulse.It's also a cheap med $12.00 month

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

Ohiocowboy,

I have been searching the net about the Atenolol, and the side effects are kinda scary.

I am on atenolol, hztc (spelling) for water retention and enalapril for high blood pressure. Been on the meds for 3 years and don't like the side effects. First of all........my left ankle is always swollen.........second........I don't like what else it does... (look at my new avitar and put two and two together) And I find it hard (hardly..no pun intended) to talk to my Dr. about it since she is in her 30's.....5' 10"........blond hair down to the small of her back...........and looks like the model they patterned Barbie doll after.

I'm angry with myself for even going to the Dr. about "borderline" high bp and now I'm afraid to stop the meds for the reason you give. I'm now checking the bp daily and experimenting with weaning myself off of the junk. What can help the most is losing another 40 pounds and I now have the motivation. I lost 16 lbs. in the last 2 months and am doing it slow. When my wife died in 1996.....I was real healthy and was 187 lbs. Just goes to show what stress eating, inactivity and bs can do! And now.......life has come back to me and I really hope I can get off the meds.

Oh.......and btw.......your topic brought back to mind......in 1992 I had an (what do they call the sonar scan) oh yeah...echocardiogram and was told I had a leaking mitrol valve. They said it is common, but a blood infection could make it worse. So even when I go to the dentist I have to pre-med.

Keep us posted on what is going on with you.

HappyDad

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

Thanks for the info Danny!

Happydad,

Sorry you are having bad side effects from the meds. It seems as though sometimes the meds. can cause worse problems than the original problem that they are prescribed for. I guess I will try it for a while and see what happens, then talk to my Doctor about weaning me off them, or maybe finding something else that doesn't cause as many negative effects. I love your avatar, both of you look so happy together!!!

• Chloe
    Chloe

I've taken Atenolol for probably 15 years for high blood pressure. I take 50mgs/day. When I first started taking it, it did seem to make me tired and light-headed at times. At one point, they had me up to 100mgs and that level seemed to cause depression for me, so now I'm back to 50 and also take an ACE inhibitor to keep my blood pressure down.

I don't really notice any side effects now. You can sure tell in the mornings if you forget to take it, though because you can feel your heart beating harder. For me, I guess it's the lesser of two evils. At least it's very reasonably priced and has been around for quite awhile.

Hope everything works out OK for you.

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

Hey,

I take Atenolol and haven't had any side-effects that I'm aware of, I've been on Lotrel for HBP for a while. One day a few month ago I had some heart palpatations and went to the hospital, my BP was 178/150 ! They Rx'd Atenolol, along with the Lotrel...now my BP runs about 115/75 !

I'm pretty happy with that.

Good Luck !

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

Chloe, thanks for the input, I hope it works well for you too....

Rabbit, Glad you are not having any ill effects from taking it. It will be nice to get my blood pressure down too. I bet it feels good to get the BP at a normal range. Thanks!

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

I don't have high blood pressure or mitral valve prolapse (that I know of) but several months ago, I started having some pretty severe chest pains. I thought I was having a heart attack! My doctor thought it was stress-induced angina. My body produces an overabundance of epinephrine due to a prolonged period of stress. After the necessary tests, he put me on Toprol. Just 25 mg to start. It didn't do much. I'm now on 50 mg - a low dosage, but it definitely helps. In the mornings before I take it, I can tell. When I wake up my heart is racing at a pretty good clip. Twenty minutes after taking it, I feel much better. It's not a long term solution, but a band-aid until I can get out of this stressful work environment. I CAN say that now that I've been taking it, I feel much better...I'm not as stressed, I'm coping better, and I'm relaxed enough to where I actually have a sex-drive.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit