My first time here

by Samdownunder 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Samdownunder
    Samdownunder

Hi I was just wondering, is it really different being in the witness religion as a full- fledged member than when you are studying with them. Are you treated differently or is all this "control" people talk about over exaggerated?

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

First of all, welcome to the board! The control thing isn't exaggerated, believe me. I was raised "in the Truth" and had the privilege of living in Australia for three years, by the way! I found different congregations to have different levels of control, depending on the elder body, but bottom line is they have to follow the rules set out by the headmasters in Brooklyn, New York, and if they slack off sooner or later some circuit overseer or district overseer is going to take them to task for it.

Studying is like a romance -- everybody puts their best foot forward. There's also a honeymoon period before reality starts setting in, and the reality is that they want control of every moment of your life. They'll disguise it by saying it's "Jehovah's will" that you do this or that, but it's nothing more than a set of man-made rules. You'll stay so busy preparing for meetings, attending meetings, going to conventions, and going out in service that you won't have time to stop and think, hey, what's the point of all of this?

I suggest you start reading in the section entitled "Best of" on some of the doctrinal points that will help you make up your mind as to whether this is God's organization or just a bunch of control freaks.

Nina

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

First of all, welcome aboard!

I never got baptized. I only went as far as Unbaptized Publisher. Also, I was practically raised in the religion. I think my situation may differ from someone who found the religion on their own (or the religion found them).

For a person who's studying, they won't get the full experience of the control until they're a baptized member. After you get baptized, they have you by the balls. Basically, you'll hear "Do what I say or you'll get disfellowshipped, and then you'll have no friends and family." Disfellowshipping hangs over everyone's head who is a baptized member. This is the method that they use to control what you do.

I just had control inflicted by my parents.

• Samdownunder
    Samdownunder

Wow!

This is all so fascinating to me. I have been an on and off studier for 9 years, never convinced enough to get baptized, but always too guilty to leave for good. I only found these informative websites like freeminds in the last week and am in SHOCK at all the information Ive found. All this time ive felt so giulty about mylife for never taking the plunge and now well, shit I dont even know what to think anymore but find it so amazing to be able to talk to others out there. PRAISE GOD ive found the light, or at least the beginning. Still need help and advice........

• Robdar
    Robdar

Welcome Sam!

• Samdownunder
    Samdownunder

One thing I am having a really hardtime with is certain things that have been impregnated into my mind for so many years, like the end being near and demons being around. I was reading one website that said that a Jehovahs witness and X-JW have a 30% higher chance of being schitzophrenic and paranoid schitzo than the normal person. Sometimes I feel like I may be a statistic because when I first started studying at 12 or 13 the witness told me when I started studying I would be attacked by demons and even related a story of a friend of his who was reading the bible and his bed started shaking and the lights went out, ect. That is some pretty full on stuff to tell a 12 year old. Now I am 22 and constantly am afraid of such things to the point where I am terrified of the dark and constantly fear demons around me. I have only recently been awoken from the lies and wonder if anyone else suffers from these fearful feelings. How can I break this fear from my mind, its all so hard and confusing....Thanks for listening

• Atilla
    Atilla

Welcome Sam, I think you will enjoy your time here.

If you have been "in" or studying for 9 years, you should have a clear picture by now of how things really work and not how they say things will work. Also, you've probably noticed a level of frustration and maybe even some distancing by the rest of the cong. towards you.

I remember a guy who was studying, was very interested, wanted to go out in field service like the first month. The first year, everyone loved him. Then something weird happened, he slowed down a little and decided not to get baptized after the first year. You could see the impatience by the cong. and then there was this cooling off in the love shown this new unbaptized publisher. Almost as if the cong. was saying, "You get back to us when you are serious, and want to get baptized"

Also, by far one of the best websites if you haven't seen it yet.

http://quotes.watchtower.ca/

• gumby
    gumby

Welcome Sam,

I first started studying at 12 or 13 the witness told me when I started studying I would be attacked by demons and even related a story of a friend of his who was reading the bible and his bed started shaking and the lights went out, ect.

Ask yourself if you remember any of those who followed Jesus in the bible were ever attacked by demons. The witnesses will also teach you that if you are seeking Jehovah and praying to him, you are shielded from demon attacks.......which is it?

Stick around here awhile Sam and continue in your research pursuit on the witnesses, and I guarantee you will be glad you did. Pick up a copy of "Crisis of Conscience " when you can.

Nice to have you here.

Gumby

• Netty
    Netty
    I was reading one website that said that a Jehovahs witness and X-JW have a 30% higher chance of being schitzophrenic and paranoid schitzo than the normal person.

This is intersting, I can reall see how that is possible, with the way they scare the crap out of people about the demons, being around us.

Welcome, and yes no, it is really not an exaggeration. You are in a different status right now, they are trying to get you to commit, and reel you in. Once you are baptized, its a whole differetn ball of wax, unfortunately.

• Joker10
    Joker10

9 years. Thats a long time. Study no more. It's taking others time and yours.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit