Opinions?

by patio34 15 Replies latest jw friends

• patio34
    patio34

I feel bad. Here are the reasons. I adopted a cat 2 years ago. For the last six months, it's been unpleasant to have her. There's a variety of reasons: my grandson is allergic, she hisses at all the grandkids, she caterwauls at something outdoors continually (another cat), SHE GETS ON THE KITCHEN COUNTERS!, I've treated her twice this month for fleas and I still have them in the house, etc., etc. The adoption place is involved with my boss. I've told him a few times I want to get rid of it. He pooh-poohed the idea. He said he talked with the adoption place and they said, more or less, no. Finally, today, after having been sick two days, it hit a peak. I thought why am I cleaning up after this #%$$ cat, having her howl at me, etc., when I don't WANT it!! So, feeling I had no other choices, I drove her to the animal shelter. She must have had some ID on her, because they called me in an hour saying the cat legally still belonged to the adoption place, so they came and picked her up. The good, really GOOD, thing is she will always have a home and I felt relief. In fact, I thought, good, it makes them take her back! The negative thing may be my boss's reaction to having me take the cat to the shelter. He could be appalled. But he wouldn't take it back. The way I see it right now is that I paid the vet bills, took care of the animal for two years, and the cat adoption people are out nothing. It was an adult cat when I took her in, so she's no less adoptable now than then. But it could be a difficult situation at work if the boss decides I acted wrongly by taking her to the shelter. But, really, it's none of his business is it? What do you think, if anything, lol? Maybe I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill. And should remember that. Pat with Piddly Problems

• codeblue
    codeblue

I think you did the right thing............. will get a new home....you did the humane thing!

• patio34
    patio34

Thanks CB! It's a hard thing to do, but was at the end of the road for the cat.

Hugs,

Pat

• Purza
    Purza

You did the right thing. By taking the cat to the shelter it had the "opportunity" to be adopted again. My cat hissed at my step-daughter and spent most of the day in (self-imposed) isolation. It didn't like people and it only tolerated me. I felt so incredibly guilty for wanting to get rid of her because I made the decision to have a pet and the cat was my responsibility. My boyfriend finally took her to the shelter one day. It was a relief (even though some guilt was involved -- but I managed to get over that).

Your boss didn't have to put up with the cat. You made the right choice -- the one that worked for you (not your boss).

Purza

• Mac
    Mac

I had an opinion once...but, after all..it was only my truth!

mac, prefers bliss class

• truman
    truman

Pat, I am sorry?this is such a tough situation. I am an devoted cat lover, and my sympathies usually lie with the cat. But, I understand that sometimes, it just cannot work out. I don?t exactly follow the relationship between your boss and the original adoption agency. Does he run it, or work for it? At any rate, if he/the agency refused to accept the kitty, and you couldn?t keep it, you certainly have the right to use the services of another agency. Hopefully, even if your boss is a little upset by the turn of events, he will get over it quickly. After all, what sense does it make to ruin a good working relationship over something like this. Perhaps you can play up the allergy angle, if you are forced into an attempt to justify yourself. I hope all is well with you on other fronts?.. Anne

• patio34
    patio34

Thanks to all. It's such a help to discuss this out!

Purza, Thanks for the commiseration. I had a cat once that I loved, but he got out and I think the coyotes got him. But this other cat and I didn't hit it off well at all. A friend says that tortiseshell cats can be difficult personalities.

Truman, thanks for the post. It helps to decide how to approach this if my boss makes an issue of it. He's involved in that he's a volunteer for the group and "foster parents" cats and kitties in his home. The cat I had came from his house. But he said "no" about taking it back. That will be my story and I'm sticking to it, lol. Actually, the allergies of my grandson are very important too. That's the reason I gave on the shelter's intake form.

Whew!

A good emotion that I always forget about in instances where I feel in the wrong a bit, is anger. Well, the self-righteous kind, as in "YOU are blaming me when I tried to give the cat back?!? What is WRONG when one agency (Truman's idea) refuses that I use another agency?? I've been saying for six MONTHS the cat isn't working out!"

Lol, the best defense is a good offense!

Hugs,

Pat

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

I think you did the right thing, and the cat is probably relieved too. We fostered a rescue basset for three days and that was as long as we and he could stand it. He was really a sweet dog but just didn't fit into our routine so he was unhappy, we were unhappy, and it just didn't work out. Sometimes that happens. You gave it TWO YEARS!!! You should get a medal for patience.

Nina

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Pat, you absolutely did the very best thing for all concerned, considering all the details. If your boss has a problem with how you handled it, I'd say it's his problem...he should just "get over it" and move on. After all, he didn't offer any viable solution.

Hugs,

Frannie B

• patio34
    patio34

Nina, thanks so much for sharing that about the dog! Sometimes it's better to make the decision earlier rather than later.

Frannie, thank you too. It's good to remember that I've tried several times for him/the group to take back the cat, but they offered no viable solution but to refuse and argue it. It IS their problem and I can't be the only adoptor to have had a problem. They should have a way to deal with it.

It's so helpful to discuss a thorny issue on this board. It's a roundtable discussion that gets a lot of opinions--it's great!

Hugs,

Pat

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit