Convicted JW sex offender arrested again....

by jimbob 14 Replies latest jw friends

• jimbob
    jimbob

This article appeared on KOMO news here in Washington state. Even though the article doesn't mention him being a JW, some of you may recall an article from the news that was posted here on JWD several months ago that told how he was released from prison after serving a term in prison for raping 4 women...one of them with a broomstick. While in prison, he became a witness, and I ended up meeting his grandmother out in service in 1988. She encouraged me to write to him to give him "encouragement", which I did. Upon learning what he was in prison for, I quit writing the sick bastard. Once he was out of prison, he attended my mother's congo in North Seattle. (Lake City congregation) When I asked her about him, she said she avoided him and did not talk to him. She also said he started dating a sister. Looks like he won't be dating or attending a meeting again for a very long time....(hopefully so long that it ends up being never, he needs to be locked up til he's dead) Anyway, here is the link to the article, and I've cut and pasted it as well. Maybe I should write to KOMO news and let them know he's a JW as well....wonder if he'll get df'd...????

http://www.komotv.com/stories/32730.htm

Convicted Rapist Arrested Again In U-District Attack

August 24, 2004

By Tracy Vedder

SEATTLE - Prosecutors said a convicted sex offender would attack again and now police think he has. Only this time, it was all caught on surveillance tape.

When Curtis Thompson raped four women in 1985, .there were no witnesses. But this time, police say the crime happened in full view of a surveillance camera outside a University District apartment building.

The building's doors are kept locked. But, on the tape, you can see two women outside the back door smoking.

Police say Thompson approached them, pushing his way inside. And they say he was immediately violent.

"He punched her in the face," describes Seattle Police Officer Scott Moss.

The 45-year-old Thompson is 6 feet 3 inches, and weighs 220 pounds. He's a big man. The tape shows us another tenant walking inside while the attack is happening. But off camera when the he tried to help, Thompson punched him as well, then forced one of the women to take her blouse off.

"Then he threatened to kick her head through the wall if she didn't do so," adds Officer Moss.

Prosecutors say even though Thompson completed an 18-year prison term, they wanted him committed as a violent sexual predator. A psychologist called him a sexual sadist.

But last fall, a jury decided Thompson should be released.

He is listed as a level three sex offender, which means they could be at a high risk to reoffend.

Thompson lives in a small boarding house just five blocks away from the apartment building where the attack occurred.

Roommate Stephen Vaughn had doubts about Thompson right away. And then police distributed the warning flyer listing Thompson as a Level III offender.

"Once I got this notification, I knew my suspicions were justified," he said.

But no one at this apartment where the attack occurred saw the notification. When Thompson approached the women, no one knew of his past. <>P> This time, tenants called 911 and the victim broke away, and police arrested him.

But resident Jayme Chiu wonders why Thompson was out in the first place.

"What kind of system do we have in place here? That's just not appropriate," she said.

Police are just thankful that this time there was an arrest before anything worse happened.

The King County Prosecutor's Office says it intends to file the most serious felony charges possible against Thompson, who is being held for investigation of kidnapping, assault and robbery.

Police believe he is a three strikes candidate and if convicted, could go to prison for the rest of his life.

• jimbob
    jimbob

Here's the article from the Seattle P.I. from last October that mention his being a JW...

SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCERhttp://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/142819_offender07.html

Jury rejects plea to keep rapist locked away

He's set free, not declared a sexually violent offender

Tuesday, October 7, 2003

By WYATT BUCHANAN
    SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER REPORTER

A jury for the first time has rejected the request of King County prosecutors to send a convicted rapist who had already served his prison sentence to an indefinite stay at a locked commitment center.

The decision by the jury meant that Curtis Thompson, convicted of committing four Seattle rapes in 1985, walked out of the King County Courthouse a free man. For the first time in more than 17 years, he is living outside custody -- in his mother's home near Sand Point.

Prosecutors asked that he be declared a sexually violent offender, which meant that he would be sent to the Special Commitment Center on McNeil Island.

While waiting for a hearing and a jury to decide on the prosecutors' request, Thompson spent another year behind bars.

Until Friday's decision, a jury had never turned prosecutors down when they wanted a sex offender committed.

"The jury determined he's not a threat, and that's all I'm going to say. I'm happy he's home," Thompson's mother said yesterday at the home she now shares with her 44-year-old son. She declined to give her name.

Other people in the quiet neighborhood are uneasy about having Thompson, labeled a Level 3 sex offender, in their midst. Level 3 offenders are deemed the most likely to commit more crimes.

"It's causing a lot of fear and unease," said Matt Delcomyn, 39, who bought a house one year ago across the street from where Thompson now lives.

"I know he's done his time, but he's got another decade or so to prove himself to society, and I don't want to wait around to find out," he said.

Thompson registered with the King County Sheriff's office yesterday, listing his address in the 5500 block of 39th Avenue Northeast.

"Certainly he is a risk to reoffend, but that doesn't mean he will," said Detective Robert Shilling of the Seattle Police Department's special assault unit. Shilling notified neighbors Friday of Thompson's presence and held a community meeting about his release on Sunday.

Thompson had been held at the Special Commitment Center since his May 2002 release from prison.

For three weeks, jurors heard testimony in the hearing, in which prosecutors had to prove Thompson was more likely than not to commit another sexually related offense if he were not locked up. The jury took about half a day to reach its unprecedented decision.

Richard Warner, a public defender who represented Thompson, called the decision "courageous" while co-counsel Anita Paulsen said the jurors -- who asked questions of the witnesses during the hearing -- had obviously satisfied their own concerns about Thompson's release.

"These are people who live in King County who, just like all of us, are going to live in neigh- borhoods where he is going to be," Paulsen said.

Thompson's religious studies while in custody, his minimal number of infractions in prison and his work ethic there, as well as never having any problems with female kitchen staff or female officers, likely weighed in his favor, Paulsen said.

County officials believe Thompson belongs in the state center.

"We file civil commitment cases when we believe there is a high risk of reoffense, and this is ultimately a question that goes before a jury," said Dan Donohoe, spokesman for the county prosecutor's office.

Thompson was convicted of four rapes that occurred between April and July of 1985. He also was convicted of assault in an attempted rape and of burglary. In most of the incidents, Thompson threatened his victims with a knife or a gun and bound their feet and hands. He did not know any of the victims.

In all the incidents, Thompson broke into the women's homes and woke them up before raping them. In one incident, he cut a woman's arm from elbow to wrist, raped her with a broomstick and punched the woman's teenage daughter in the face when she came home.

Psychological reports from 1998 and 2002 found Thompson had a moderate to high risk of reoffending. Those reports cited a "deep-seated and currently suppressed anger and hostility toward women in general, which has gone untreated" and "concerns that the increasing tendency towards violence already noted by the prior record would only escalate."

Thompson did not undergo a psychological treatment program from the state while incarcerated, though he had frequent counseling sessions with fellow Jehovah's Witnesses.

His attorneys said he sought treatment in 1995, but was told he had to wait until 1998 -- or three years before his release date -- to receive it.

"He asked and asked for treatment, and when he didn't get it, he found his own way," Paulsen said.

County prosecutors argued that Thompson has a mental abnormality or personality disorder that makes him likely to commit acts of sexual violence against strangers, according to court filings. A psychologist who interviewed Thompson in May 2002 concluded he was a sexual sadist.

Before the jury read its verdict Friday, Thompson had written a letter to the court, apologizing to his victims and their families and thanking the jury for hearing his case.

He wrote the letter assuming that he would be committed, his attorneys said. Thompson's release has encouraged others at the center who see their situation as hopeless, Paulsen said.

P-I reporter Chris McGann contributed to this report. P-I reporter Wyatt Buchanan can be reached at 206-448-8011 or [email protected]

© 1998-2004 Seattle Post-Intelligencer

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Jury rejects plea to keep rapist locked away

He's set free, not declared a sexually violent offender

I hope that haunts those jurors for the rest of their lives.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

JimBob, I just learned of this myself and immediately posted another thread on the topic.

I apologize for stepping on your thread, man.

• jimbob
    jimbob

Hey Nathan...no problem. This type of news story is worth more than just two people starting threads...

It sickens me to hear this happen. When Curtis got released last October and my mom told me he was in her hall, I had a discussion with her explaining how the JW's feel that someone who had a problematic past can be "cured" just by studying and becoming a JW. I told her that in Curtis's case especially, this wasn't true. And you know what, she actually agreed with me! She is a hard core JW, but I'm glad she had some wit about her to realize this and avoid him. I tried calling her tonight to see what her congregation is doing, but I forgot she had meeting tonight. So I'll probabaly talk with her tomorrow. But she did tell me that Curtis was active in the hall, and gave answers. I don't know if he went out in service. But I do remember the few times I wrote him back in the late 80's, he was going to get baptized. So I believe he is a baptized dub. I was telling my wife tonight that the only reason I wrote him was to count time and an RV. Letter writing was an easier way to get your time in when you're pioneering than having to bang on doors...

Anyway, I hope for everyone's sake he's locked up for the rest of his life!!! I can just imagine how the community will react when the JW's bang on their door....hopefully they will be aware of this situation and give the JW's sh*t about it when they come knockin'.

• avishai
    avishai

This BS would'nt have happened if we had capital punishment for rapists, he raped FOUR WOMEN!!!! And we let him out?!?!?!? WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE!!!!!!!

• avengers
    avengers

So God's Spirit isn't strong enough to make him walk a straight line?
    Guess not.

Andy

• Been there
    Been there
    County prosecutors argued that Thompson has a mental abnormality or personality disorder that makes him likely to commit acts of sexual violence against strangers

Seems instead of avoiding him, it would make more sense to be very friendly with him!

I also hope that jury has a hard time sleeping at night, letting this guy out. I don't think much of the justice system as of late. Caters to the criminal.

• blondie
    blondie

His JW status is mentioned in this recent article:

SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCERhttp://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/187790_rapist25.html

Attack suspect is convicted rapist

Sex offender was freed after request to send him to McNeil Island was denied

Wednesday, August 25, 2004

By HECTOR CASTRO
    SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER REPORTER

A convicted rapist who last year narrowly avoided being locked away indefinitely as a sexually violent predator heads back to court today, suspected of attacking two women and forcing one to strip.

Curtis Shane Thompson, 45, a level three sex offender, put up a violent struggle with police outside a University District apartment building Monday where the assaults took place, at one point trying to snatch an officer's gun from the holster, police said.

"Who knows what would have happened had he been able to gain control of that officer's gun," police spokesman Scott Moss said yesterday. "It could have been a lot worse."

Thompson was treated at Harborview Medical Center for injuries resulting from the fight, then booked into the King County Jail for investigation of robbery, assault, kidnapping, harassment and disarming a police officer.

The Seattle Post-Intelligencer does not usually name suspects before they are charged but is identifying Thompson because of his criminal history, his status as a registered sex offender and the questions raised during his civil commitment hearing.

A bail hearing is set for today, and charges are expected to be filed before the end of the week, said Dan Donohoe, spokesman for the King County Prosecutor's Office.

"We intend to file the most serious felony charges possible and send him back to prison for a very long time," Donohoe said.

Thompson was well known to police. Because he was a level three sex offender living in Seattle, detectives with the department's Special Assault Unit checked on him regularly, Capt. Neil Low said. State law requires authorities to check on level three sex offenders at least once every 90 days, Low said, but Seattle police checked on Thompson at least once a week.

Just last week, a pair of detectives spent 30 minutes visiting Thompson at his most recent residence, an apartment in the 4700 block of Roosevelt Way Northeast.

According to a police report, Thompson was arrested about 10 p.m. Monday after the women pointed him out to officers.

Police said four women, all in their early 20s, were smoking outside their apartment building at Ninth Avenue Northeast and Northeast 42nd Street when Thompson approached and made small talk.

Two of the women headed home and two others began walking into the building. Thompson followed the two going into the building.

When the women challenged him, saying he didn't live there and needed to leave, he allegedly grabbed one victim's purse and punched her in the eye. The two women ran to the elevator, but he prevented the doors from closing.

A 60-year-old resident who heard screaming came to help, but Thompson slugged him, knocking him to the floor of the elevator, police said.

The women told police that Thompson rifled through the purse he snatched, blocking them from leaving the elevator, and then abruptly ordered one woman to remove her blouse, threatening to "kick her head through the wall" if she did not do as he said.

The woman complied, but when he ordered her to remove more clothing she refused. He had just taken a step toward her when she heard the sound of arriving police and bolted from the elevator.

The women's friends saw what happened at the elevator and called 911. Patrol officers arrived just as the shirtless victim ran yelling from the apartment building with Thompson right behind her.

One officer tried to grab Thompson, who stands 6-foot-3 and weighs 220 pounds. But Thompson was able to break free and attack another officer, punching that officer several times in the head, police said.

Several officers managed to wrestle Thompson to the ground, where he allegedly tried to yank a police gun from its holster.

But police were able to handcuff him. Medics arrived to treat the two officers and Thompson, who reportedly received more than 20 stitches in his head.

Before being loaded into an ambulance, Thompson threatened a female officer, allegedly saying, "You don't know who I am. I will kill you."

Thompson's history of criminal activity and sexual violence is well documented. He was convicted in 1985 of breaking into the homes of five women between March 1985 and July 1985, raping four of them and attempting a fifth rape.

He used knives and guns in these attacks, slicing one woman's arm from elbow to wrist. In one instance, he indicated he had been watching the woman's home and knew when her husband would be gone. In another, he had worked as a painter in the victim's apartment building.

Thompson usually bound his victims, always threatened to hurt or kill them, and tried to cover their faces with pillows or other bedding.

When Thompson reached the end of his sentence in May 2002, King County prosecutors tried to have him sent to the Special Commitment Center on McNeil Island, arguing in court documents that Thompson remained a sexually violent predator

Psychological reports cited in court documents said Thompson felt anger and hostility toward women in general and that his violence would escalate. One psychiatrist found him to be a sexual sadist.

In sessions with mental health professionals, Thompson admitted to sexually molesting relatives and to stabbing a friend in the back, leaving the young man paralyzed.

He also admitted to a history of voyeurism. He kept guns and knives with him since his teen years, he said, mostly as protection during his times dealing drugs.

When arrested for the rapes in 1985, Thompson admitted to more than 40 burglaries.

But in prison, Thompson become a model inmate, had no problems with female officers, and apparently embraced the religion of his mother, becoming a devout Jehovah's Witness and refusing any treatment beyond meeting with other members of his faith.

"Apparently, he does well in institutions," Low said.

The jury at his civil commitment hearing decided that Thompson did not meet the criteria of a sexually violent predator and he was released in October, moving in with his mother in her Ravenna neighborhood home.

On July 24, he moved to an apartment in the 4700 block of Roosevelt Way Northeast.

Low said police notified management and tenants that Thompson had moved in. Because Thompson had served his sentence, he was not under Department of Corrections supervision.

Still, Low said, Thompson followed the rules for registered sex offenders. "He reported each of his moves," Low said.

Thompson told detectives he was active with his Jehovah's Witness congregation, said he had a part-time job and a girlfriend. I wonder if she is some misguided JW? Or desperate for a husband.

But when he met with detectives last week, Thompson complained he was stymied in his efforts to enter society again.

When he tried to register for classes at a community college, he told detectives, administrators told him that if he did, they would go to the front of each of his classes and alert students of his status as a sex offender. I wonder if the elders would have done the same?

Low said that was Thompson's version of what happened, but he conceded that police have a delicate job -- balancing oversight of sex offenders without destroying their efforts to become law-abiding members of the community.

"We do the best we can to help them succeed," he said. "If they are succeeding, there are no more victims."

In Thompson's case, he said, police worried he would attack again.

"That's our fear," Low said. "A level three is somebody who climbs in through the window and attacks someone in the still of night with a high level of violence."

P-I reporter Hector Castro can be reached at 206-903-5396 or [email protected]

© 1998-2004 Seattle Post-Intelligencer

• Nathan Natas

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit