Would the world be a better place without religion?

by micheal 79 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    Strange, I thought he was recorded as telling a certain rich young ruler to go sell all he had and give to the poor.

True, but it seemed to matter more for the ruler to become poor than for the poor to be helped. Jesus said rich people would have problems with his teachings.

Jesus didn't always seem overly concerned about the poor (Matthew 26:11, John 12:8)

I also thought that the book of Acts tells of his early followers holding all things in common.

Hmm, maybe Jesus was the first communist.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Rachel:
    Two reasons.
    First I can occasionally be a lazy s*d.
    Secondly, it's a triggerword for X-JW's, so I rarely spell it out in full.

Derek:
    Communism was exactly what came to my mind, too.
    It's not entirely communism, as there's spiritual expression permitted in this world view, but the idea of distributing wealth is an interesting concept, dont you think?

As for the scriptures (cool you DO still have a Bible ) give the guy a break. He was about to die a martyrs death. He wasn't a totaly killjoy

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    It's not entirely communism, as there's spiritual expression permitted in this world view,

I don't think spiritual expression is forbidden in principle from a communist worldview, just that in practice communism seems to require the enslavement of the mind as well as the body, and its leaders forbid devotion to any other cause.

but the idea of distributing wealth is an interesting concept, dont you think?

You distribute your wealth if you want. I'll hold on to mine. I find capitalism a much more interesting and appealing philosophy.

(cool you DO still have a Bible )

Yes. Bibles tend to be printed on very thin, high-quality paper, which can be useful sometimes! It's missing about half of Revelation, but is otherwise intact

• Princess
    Princess
    Rachel:Two reasons.
    First I can occasionally be a lazy s*d.
    Secondly, it's a triggerword for X-JW's, so I rarely spell it out in full.

Is that all? You are lazy and can't be bothered with the extra four letters? Do you say "ex-mas" or do you pronounce the "christ"?
    ~looks around~ I don't see any JWs around here to trigger.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Rachel:
    No, I pronounce it Chris-mas, like everyone else. I'm now trying to work out who this Chris guy is. Or is it short for Christine?

I don't see any JW's either, but I do see a few X-JW's

• Princess
    Princess

So my brain sorted out the "X" for me. I knew what you really meant. Honestly I don't know what the h*ll you are talking about. Trigger? How?

Cris is Cris Cringle

Or is it Kris Kreme? I always get those two confused.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Oh, you are so like an Elder's wife!!!!

LOL
    THAT kind of trigger.
    It may not trigger you, but it does some people, hence I ususlly spell it that way...

...ok, I'm lying again. It was the first reason really

• Princess
    Princess
    Oh, you are so like an Elder's wife!!!!

You are so going to pay for that one.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

I agree that some aspects of the story have value LT. This is not in question However even those thatr superfitially appear to be encouraging humanitarian service in fact are just condemnation of the rich. In the story the man's weakness was his being very rich. He was not being told then to use his wealth to build homes for the poor or offer medicine to those who couldn't afford it, he was being told that he should not be rich. Giving the money to 'the poor' is simply offered as a contrast to his being rich. The message is the same if he just said give the money 'away', but it lacks the prejudice of favoring the poor.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Rachel:

You are so going to pay for that one.

Woohoo!!!
    Xmas is looking up!!!

Pete:
    That would be one interpretation of it

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit