I knew it! Star Trek is real!

by drwtsn32 29 Replies latest jw friends

• drwtsn32
  • Princess
    Princess

geek

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

Hehe I saw a show a while ago that was dealing with star trek objects from the original series that we have now. One of them was the communicators they had now with the modern flip top phones. I cant remember what the rest of that stuff was but there was quite a list it was amusing.

• Preston
    Preston

... and William Shatner is a great actor....

• myauntfanny
    myauntfanny

Please, nothing against William Shatner, he was my first true love as a girl. We never met, but I just know we'd have made a great couple.

• logical
    logical

is there supposed to be an image cos i cant see anything?

• Navigator
    Navigator

You are supposed to click on the words and read the article. I think the writers on the original series were the best. Very metaphysical! The old episodes look pretty crude by today's standards, but they were way ahead of their time.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Thanks for the link, Doc!

When I first heard a Star Trek reference to "transparent aluminium" I thought it was kinda silly. Aluminium, after all, is a relatively soft metal with a melting point of only 658 degrees (C). It never occurred to me that "transparent alumina" (Al2O3) would be a far more useful material with greater hardness and strength than simple aluminium, and a far higher melting point - 2050 (C).

It is ironic that aluminium was once valued more than silver because of the difficulty of extracting the pure metal from its ore, but now the high value is on the "ore" itself, highly refined and almost impossibly transparent.

I would like to think that somewhere there's an analogue of Charles Martin Hall and his sister Julia, working away in a woodshed laboratory developing an "easy" method for producing transparent alumina.

On the other hand, perhaps the whiz-kids at the Watchtower Research Laboratories have already solved that problem and are holding the technology in reserve for the new order, which is due any day now, didy'know?

"The power of the rational mind, directed by the invisible hand of the resurrected Joseph Franklin Rutherford."

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

Check and make sure that we aren't missing any humpback whales. I think we finally got our visit from the future, and Scotty just sold the secrets to ALCOA.

• arrowstar
    arrowstar

Doc -

Hon, put your hands in the air and slowly back away from the computer. C'mon, sugar, let's get you out of the house.

This is a tree. It's part of nature.

Lisa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit