Richland, WA... anyone live there?

by Bryan 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Amazing1914
    Amazing1914

Hi Bryan,

I lived in Richland twice. for a few years each. It is a nice area. The summers are hot and dry. The winters are often very cold and can stay frozen at about 20 deg for ten to twelve weeks at a time.

The nuclear waste is as Drwtsn32 says. My own exposure record, having worked in waste farm areas and hot cells, is the same as someone who was never exposed. The rumors greatly embellish a few sad incidents.

Some of my best JW friends are still there ... but there is no longer any contact with them. In many ways, to me Richland was like Southern, California. I grew up in Riverside, CA. I was used to the sun and people on the go. So, after I moved to Washington state, on the west side, I became depressed with all the rain and no sunshine. People there lived like little hermits. When I discovered Richland, it was like going home again to a taste of California.

Housing and rental prices are reasonable, however, and if you don't mind a bit of a commute, you can do even better by buying a house in West Richland or Benton City. I bought a brand new home in Benton City for only $41,500. Today, it probably sells for $125,000 or so. But it beats where I am at now, as the same house would be about $250,000.

I think that if you stay there a while, it will grow on you ... and you should come away with some good memories. The current Kingdom Hall is located next to the Mormon Church (there are lots of Mormons there) ... oddly enough, the Mormons donated the land to the JWs so they could have a better place for their Kingdom Hall. Yep, two peas in a pod. - Jim W.

• MikeMusto
    MikeMusto

othello wa anyone?

• Bryan
    Bryan

Thanks again everyone, Amazing,

My wife and I have traveling with Bechtel for four years now. She has a friend in the office there and said the same thing... "It will grow on you."

We'll see!

Thanks,

Bryan

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Well, I've never lived in Richland, but I've driven through a few times, and had lunch there. It seems like a fairly nice small city. Isn't there a vineyard and winery just out of town?

• Amazing1914
    Amazing1914

Hi Runningman,

Isn't there a vineyard and winery just out of town?

Yes. It is calld Rutherford Vineyards. Ha Ha ... and we used their wine for Memorial. It somehow seemed extra Holy with a name like that. Richland is where I first took the emblems, so in some strange way, a Rutherford wine felt like a good fit. Now, it all seems like a fantasy in wonderland. - Jim W.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Wineries? This area is full of them! There are literally dozens.

• Amazing1914
    Amazing1914

Hi drwtsn32,

Wineries? This area is full of them! There are literally dozens.

True. But Rutherford is the most famous and is well known nationally.

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956
    True. But Rutherford is the most famous and is well known nationally.

Is this a joke? There is no Rutherford winery near Richland.

Sherry

• blondie
    blondie

Rutherford Hill Winery 200 Rutherford Hill Road
    Rutherford, CA 94573

707-963-1871
    Email: [email protected]

This is the closest thing I can find on Google and Infospace

• Dawn
    Dawn

Isn't there a vineyard and winery just out of town?

He he - that's funny. This is wine country here!

Bryan - if you like sunshine and water sports you'll love it. There are three major rivers that intersect here in tri-cities - Columbia, Snake, and Yakima - so there's lots of water sports and parks. Windsurfing is a big sport just up the road - the Columbia Gorge. We also have numerous wineries.

If you decide to come on up get in touch with me and I can arrange a "welcome" with some other x-jw's around here.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit