Graven Images

by ruffian 17 Replies latest jw friends

• You Know
    You Know
    For images please see- Exodus 25. 18/ Numb. 21.8,9/ Exodus 37.7/ 2 Paralipomenon 3. 10,11/ 3 Kings 6. 23, 32, 35/ 1 Paralipomenon 28. 18, 19/

These verses all make reference to the ark of the covenant. Apparently what you are overlooking is that the ark was housed in the inner sanctum of the temple and was completely inaccesable to anyone but the high priest. No doubt had the ark been visible to the Jews they would have worshipped it. They worshipped everything else.

Hebrews 11. 21 says that Jacob worshipped leaning on his staff. Are you trying to say that Jacob worshipped his walking stick????

Psalm 98. 5 says to make melody to God on the harp. What's your point there?

See also saints- Luke 16.9

Okay. It says to make friends with God by means of "unrighteous riches." Jesus was talking about using money to serve God's interest. That has nothing to do with images.

1 Corin. 12. 8 says: "There is given through the spirit speech of wisdom..." Why would you cite that verse? Can you explain yourself.

Apoc 5.8 speaks about the prayers of the saints. Are you imagining that is says 'prayer to the saints'?

Hebrews 12. 22,23 says that Christians have appraoached God's heavenly city for judgment. It says nothing that would give Chrtistians license to worship those fellow creatures that reside there.

/ Apoc 2. 26,27 says that Christians will share with Christ when he destroys the idolatrous nations. That's certainly not a Scritpure that would support your cause.

Luke 15. 10 says that more joy arises among the angels when even one sinner repents. How does that support the use of images? / You Know
    1Corin. 13. 12 ! John 3. 2/ Exodus 32. 11, 14/ 1Kings 7. 8-10/ Romans 15. 30

• rutht
    rutht

I have a question along these same lines.

You Know, maybe you could answer this for me.

The last time I saw my jw mil she had on earrings that had Noah's Ark figures. I heard today that she collects Noah's Ark objects. What is up with this? Wouldn't this be the same as having Jesus pictures or angel statues setting around?
    Thanks,
    Rutht

• You Know
    You Know
    The frist thing you need to know is the saints or as you might call them the "annointed" are ALIVE in heven

Yes. I know that. Angels are also alive in heaven, and yet they never encouraged humans to pray to them or ask favors of them. One angel in fact cautioned John not to bow down to him. Paul also referred to those who had a form of worship of the angels. That is exactly what you are advocating here. Jesus never taught his followers to ask for anything from anyone in heaven except God through Christ's name. Asking for blessings or favors from various creatures in heaven is an affront to God and no different from an ignorant brute who might grovel before a grotesque idol, imploring it for favor. Why would you even want to pray to anyone in heaven other than God? Can you explain that one? / You Know

• You Know
    You Know
    The last time I saw my jw mil she had on earrings that had Noah's Arc figures.

That's a new one on me. They must look pretty gawdy I would imagine. What kind of outfit would a woman wear with Noah's ark earrings anyway? Perhaps with a lepord skin pillbox hat and a mink around her neck? Maybe she's trying to make a fashion statement or something? I don't know. I am totally stumped on that one. / You Know

• rutht
    rutht

I know the earrings sound gawdy, but actually they didn't look that bad. Anyway, is she supposed to be collecting and wearing religious items? She always told me I should not wear my cross necklace. What is the difference? (Other then she does not believe JC died on a cross, but that's for another day.)
    Rutht

• seedy3
    seedy3

Wellllllll.......... I never (LOL). The last time I looked the WTS comes out with a calender every year, and in this calender were always images of biblical people, apostles, AND even Jesus himself. Yes Catholics do pray often to the statues in the churches and in their homes, most other christian churches do not however. They do however put up pictures around their home to show devotion and keep themselves in a christian frame of mind, not for worship. I have also see JW's take the pictures from the yearly calender and frame them, then hang them around their homes, for much the same reason a christian would hang a picture of one of the apostles or of Jesus himself. What a bunch of hypocrates.
    seedy

• ruffian
    ruffian

You Know
    Here is the thing. You want to know how all these verses tie in, read the entire chapters and buy yourself some Scott Hahn tapes because I dont have the time to sit and hold your hand through it all. I told you I wasnt here to debate so please just respect that. I have a family and things to do with my life besides try to prove something to someone that is closed minded. Good luck with that- the closed mindedness that is. Please pretend I no longer exist O.K?

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Time to clear up misconceptions. The Catholic church does NOT encourage worship of statues or saints, in fact such would be considered a GRAVE sin by the Church. The statues and crucifixes do, however, serve as a focus for us in prayer, etc. YOU KNOW the prohibition against graven images is CLEARLY a prohibition against WORSHIPPING such images. Which we do NOT. IN "prayer" to the saints we are simply asking the saints in heaven to agree with us in prayer and is absolutely NO DIFFERENT than me asking one of YOU to pray for me. As far as expecting some "magical blessing" from kissing a cross or picture of a saint, Yes that would be absolutely ridiculous and I know of NO CATHOLIC who expects such. However, just as love drives one to kiss a picture of a relative, so to with crosses and statues, etc.
    Yes indeed certains saints are said to be Patrons of certain things, SO WHAT.

Ya'll need to STUDY the Catholic Faith before making ridiculous comments about it (YOU KNOW, I'm looking in your direction).

Yeru

YERUSALYIM
    God is truth, and light his shadow.

Plato

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit