Did you know any "Cool" witnesses?

by JH 14 Replies latest jw friends

• dh
    dh

from my observations, the ones who thought they were 'cool', (the socially inclined jw's, or those who thought they dressed 'cool' or did other 'cool' things) were only cool in the context of the controlled jw environment, but throw them out into the real world, where they are surrounded by people without inhibitions and with opinions, and their coolness would be laughed at.

the above applies in the context of driving 100mph being cool, i don't think that's cool, i think that's something that either you do naturally, or you don't do at all, 100mph is NOT a speed worth making a point of, in fact if someone tried to boast to me about 100mph, i would laugh my head off.

likewise clothing, if you wear nice clothes naturally, okay, but if you try to make a point of showing that you wear them, you are hiding something, maybe just using them as a mask to hide behind. kind of like these plastic millionaire jw's who get expensive cars on finance to show as if they are doing well, when really it is fake and in a few years that coolness turns to brokeness and depression.

--i know plenty of jw's who thought they were cool, but if i dragged them, even on their coolest day through the routine of my life, they would be shell shocked.

i think the thing with jw's, is that because they are so insular, a thing that is very normal in some circles (the rest of the world) is a big deal to them, they exaggerate things, and that's why i think a cool jw is just that, a cool jw, very different from a non jw who does things without rules.

this tape will self destruct in five seconds

• Gadget
    Gadget
    that's why i think a cool jw is just that, a cool jw, very different from a non jw who does things without rules.

What about a jw who does things without rules? Would that make them cool?

• dh
    dh
    What about a jw who does things without rules? Would that make them cool?

anyone who claims to be a jw but doesn't live by the rules, is not being honest with themself or the people around them, so that would make them 'uncool'. imb (in my book)

i have a lot of respect for people who are full on with their belief and faith, even if it is blind, way more than a person who wants to be cool, and be a jw. imo you can't be both, except within the controlled jw environment.

edited to add: 'a cool person to me is someone who is what they are naturally and doesn't have to make a point of showing or telling people so.'

• harleyquinn
    harleyquinn

there was an elder in my kh who i thought was super cool...he was from new york and a writer...turns out he wrote on all the 'hip' 80's sitcoms like 'different strokes' and 'the facts of life'...he actually was the only decent person in all my 'judicial meetings'..

• Mulan
    Mulan

I knew some who thought they were cool, but were the biggest jerks I ever knew. Being cool meant leaving others out of your "cool" activities, because they weren't cool. They were the ones in the cliques.

I also knew some great people who really were cool. One older woman, who has since passed on, was the best. I was telling her one time about a very strict sister who covered her son's eyes during certain movie exerpts that showed cleavage..................her reply? "God dammit". It was so funny because you would never expect her to say such a thing. Her husband was an elder who died at age 54. By the time she died, she was an ex JW too, along with her sons who were the ones who first talked to us and made us think. But she was a delight and a wonderful person to go to for advice when we were all JW's and afterwards too. She was really cool!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit