What have you been reading lately?

by Preston 30 Replies latest social entertainment

• onacruse
    onacruse

bikerchic:

Stupid White Men by, Michael Moore

So now I know why you recently asked for twin beds.

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

Oh no! I'm worried for all of you. As my mother often quoted to me while I was growing up: "To the making of many books there is no end, and much devotion [to them] is wearisome to the flesh." --Ecclesiastes 12:12. No wonder I'm so tired all the time. I love books and I enjoyed looking through other readers' lists here.

I'm reading: Blue Moon by Laurell K. Hamilton and will soon be ordering, through my local library, Crisis of Conscience by Raymond Franz. I highly recommend Letters from the Earth by Mark Twain.

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

I'm currently reading Crisis of Conscience by Ray Franz for the first time. No wonder so many people have recommended it on this board. Truly enlightening. Those who have not yet read it need to.

The second book I'm reading is Reluctant Saint: The life of Francis of Assis by Donald Spoto. It's a great biography on Francis, distinguishing legend from truth. Definitely not the Hollywood version.

• Preston
    Preston

Hemp Lover,

Yes, Survivor which I finished was a great book, possibly the best book I have ever read. Period. I could relate a lot to Tender Branson and his naivete once he found himself the only remaining survivor of his church, not to mention the character he built from the separation. I see Tom Arnold playing his brother in the movie version....

Terry,

I noticed that you also mentioned Richard Matheson as well. I Am Legend is the best horror novel I have ever read which...really isn't a horror novel but a study in a man's search for survival through reflection, and his all consuming passion even through living in a world taken over by.... well, wouldn't want to spoil for anyone here.... I notice through your posts a prevailing knowledge of theology, would love to know more about your reading.... and yes, Cormac McCarthy is great, I read about Blood Meridian through other people, I do know Bloom was impressed though. McCarthy's style of writing is the most original I think of any current living writer with the exception of Ligotti.

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

My husband bought these "classics" for me. Yes, I am a nerd, but it'll be my next year's worth of reading:

Dracula- Bram Stoker

Sense & Sensibility- Jane Austen

Jane Erye- Charlotte Bronte

The Illiad*- Homer

The Odyssey- Homer

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekly & Mr. Hyde- Robert Louis Stevenson

The Adventure of Tom Sawyer- Mark Twain

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn*- Mark Twain

Uncle Tom's Cabin- Harriet Beecher Stowe

Walden*- Henry David Thoreau

The Count of Monte Cristo- Alexandre Dumas

Pride & Prejudice- Jane Austen

The Picture of Dorian Gray- Oscar Wilde

Tales & Poems of Edgar Allen Poe- Edgar Allan Poe

Wuthering Heights- Emily Bronte

Emma- Jane Austen

Frankenstein- Mary Shelley

Crime & Punishment- Fydor Dostoyevsky

Treasure Island- Robert Louis Stevenson

The Red Badge of Courage- Stephen Crane

The Secret Garden- Frances Burnett Hodgson

Great Expectations- Charles Dickins

The Scarlet Letter- Nathaniel Hawthorne

Oliver Twist- Charles Dickins

Tales of Mystery and Imagination- Edgar Allan Poe

Alice in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass - Lewis Carroll

Just So Stories & The Jungle Book- Rubyard Kipling

Persuasion- Jane Austen

Madame Bovary- Gustave Flaubert

*- already read

• poppers
    poppers

"Undaunted Courage" by Stephen Ambrose - about the Lewis and Clark expedition

"Scurvy" by Stephen R. Bown - a absolutely fascinating story which traces how the cure for scurvy was found, lost, then found again - no kidding, it's great!

To StinkyPantz -

I see you have Jane Austen on your list. Do yourself a favor and watch the A&E/BBC production on DVD too - a masterpiece of adapting Austen to the screen. I've watched it many times (and I'm a guy) and each time I get swept up in the story. Movie versions of "Persuasion" and "Sense and Sensibility" are also very good.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

I'm currently reading:

Thirty Years a Watch Tower Slave by William Schnell

Dorian by Will Self (a modern retelling of Oscar Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray)

First Light: The Search for the Edge of the Universe by Richard Preston

Some notable books I've recently completed:

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson

Them: Adventures With Extremists by Jon Ronson

Jonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

poppers-

I plan to watch the film versions of most of the books when I finish them. Thanks for the recommendation!

• harleyquinn
    harleyquinn

i'm currently reading "the amazing adventures of kavalier & clay" by michael chabon...which totally rocks!! also re-reading "the complete frank miller batman" in prep for the movie next year...

• Insomniac
    Insomniac

Just finished Sock, by Penn Jillette, also Down Here by Andrew Vachss. Excellent, thought provoking stuff.

Also, since school is over, I am, as promised, reading a couple of utterly trashy romance novels. I won't tell you the titles, but they have couples passionately making out on the covers. Complete trash, but I need to get it out of my system before moving on to the complete works of Aphra Behn.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit