Do you buy flowers? or should he only? and if you are a guy, do you care?

by Sassy 24 Replies latest social relationships

• Sassy
    Sassy

When I was single and not dating anyone, I bought myself flowers if I felt like it...they just add that extra touch to the home..

but when dating, I tend to not buy them as much, because I don't want the guy to feel bad..

for instance right now.. my bf has messed up big time and although I would prefer he picked me up flowers for just the 'I am thinking of you" kind of thing.. I realize most guys do not do that... but he keeps talking about picking me up flowers.. he has for a month! and he has gone out on me all night a couple times again lately.. AND a woman called the house the other night.. Two dozen long stemmed arranged roses should have been on my desk the next day..

and they have had some specials lately at the store and I keep walking by the flowers even though I want so very much to buy some..

today I thought .....hell with it.. I can buy flowers if I want to...and did!!

Do you?

• jgnat
    jgnat

Oh, I thought this thread was about something else altogether. As I was single for twenty years, I am on a first-name basis with my florist. I don't wait. Besides, guys are so afraid of messing up, they always buy roses. Red roses. Day-old roses wilting after the first day.

Often I get a pot of mums that will brighten the place up and last a while.

Now, for the question I thought you were asking.....should a woman buy her man flowers? On our first face-to-face date, I brought a small gift for my honey. I had made some chinese stars out of satin ribbon. They are for good luck and well-wishes. He was touched. A woman had never given him anything on a first date.

I like unorthodox, creative, inexpensive gifts, both ways. Since guys don't expect it, they are twice bowled over, at least in my limited experience.

Oh, yeah, another little gift. I took little colored cards, wrote loving notes to him, and hid them around his room. Under the pillow, in his shaving mug, under the alarm clock.

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior
    and he has gone out on me all night a couple times again lately.. AND a woman called the house the other night.. Two dozen long stemmed arranged roses should have been on my desk the next day..

Sassy- please don't get me wrong here -would two dozen long stemmed arranged roses really make you feel any better in the long run about his current behavior? What you are describing sounds a bit serious to me and you've expressed doubt lately about the whole relationship based on this kind of behavior etc. To me, if roses would "work" for you right now it may only send the message to him that this sort of behavior is okay within your relationship as long as there are flowers there to basically "cover it up" afterwards.

It sounds like you have some suspicions about his activities as he stays out all night on these occasions and the phone call from a woman is adding to it now. Unless you have an open relationship, those suspicions you may have are not unfounded. It sounds like something well beyond flowers are needed right now.

XW

Edited to add: I buy flowers for myself quite often. It's a nice pick me up !! Hope things work out for you Sassy!!

• maxwell
    maxwell

I don't buy flowers for myself. But I don't particularly care for flowers. I like other impractical objects, but I certainly would appreciate the though if someone got them for me. My opinion is that if you want something you should go get it if you have the money. I never wait for or expect someone else to get something for me. That's not to say it isn't a nice or good thing for a guy to get flowers for a ladyfriend or significant other who likes flowers. I have done it before. Flowers aren't my wife's favorite thing, but I get them for her occasionally, and if she liked them more, I'd probably get them for her more. So I do care whether she wants flowers or not. But I certainly wouldn't mind if she decided to buy flowers for herself. If she likes something, why should she not get it herself? I hope I am understanding the "do you care?" question correctly.

• avishai
    avishai
    for instance right now.. my bf has messed up big time

LOL!!!Not laughing atcha sassy, and I'll get to your situation in a minute!!

You see, this is one of the big basic differences between the sexes. Women see a guy w/ flowers and go "Awww, how sweet" Guys see the same thing, and go, " Alright, what didja do"

I personally LOVE to give flowers. I also love to get them. I rarely do. I grew up in a florist shop.

As for your situation, you don't need the bullshit, sassy, the guys a selfish $&%*$*^(

• Robdar
    Robdar

Sassy, I agree with XW on this one. Please listen to her.

Sometimes I give flowers to my guy friends. They have always been greeted with much pleasure. I can count on one hand the times that a man has given me flowers and one of the guys was gay.

Sigh

Robyn

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior
    You see, this is one of the big basic differences between the sexes. Women see a guy w/ flowers and go "Awww, how sweet" Guys see the same thing, and go, " Alright, what didja do"

LOL Avi- that isn't necessarily just a "guy" thing. I was living with a guy a few years ago who sent me flowers often - just cuz. And the first couple of times the ladies in the office- knowing it wasn't my b-day or valentines day etc. said "what'd he do?" LMAO !!

• Xena
    Xena

I buy flowers for myself.....I buy flowers for my friends....

Don't expect or wait for anyone to give you anything, get it for yourself if you want it. If perchance they do buy something for you then it's a wonderful suprise.

• SheilaM
    SheilaM
    he has for a month! and he has gone out on me all night a couple times again lately.. AND a woman called the house the other night.. Two dozen long stemmed arranged roses should have been on my desk the next day..

Sassy: In this scenario the only thing I would want two dozen roses for his to maybe stick him in the eyes with them or somethinFlowers do NOT ever make up for disrespect. If Thunder ever bought me flowers because I was mad or somethin THEN I WOULD be ticked. I want gifts cause I am loved and appreciated and that is the only way to go. (((((((Sassy)))))))) He needs a swift kick in the ass if he doesn't appreciate a fine gal like you.

As for me I love to buy flowers or give them out of my garden. I gave Thunder a Red rose and a daisy after we met to thank him and make him wonder what that daisy meant. LOL I love to leave my German friend Edith flowers bouquets on her deck she askes me "who do you think you are Santa Clause" in this wonderful German accent LOL

He buys me flowers often, not as often as he use to cause I really prefer plants for my garden and such. The ones that I LOVE is when he will buy me a rose and leave it in my car at work.....or on my windshield LOL The rose may be fried from the heat or cold (depending on the weather) but the THOUGHT is HOT and WONDERFUL.

• avishai
    avishai

Plus, Sassy, he does'nt wanna "Yodel in the canyon" "Talk to the man in the boat" etc. Do you wan't to deal w/ that for the rest of your life?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit