Why Does God Permit Wickedness?

by undercover 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• undercover
    undercover

How many times did we, as JWs, see that question? How many times did we read or recite the same ole BS about allowing wicked people to try to rule themselves and failing? God's soverienty was brought into question and now he'll give Satan and man so many thousand years to give it a try. Yea, right.

That don't make a lick of sense. You want to squash a rebellion by letting the rebels do whatever they want? No, you squash the rebellion and wipe out the rebels showing everyone watching that the soveriegnty will not be messed with.

God let Satan turn evil and wander around creating havoc on his newly inhabited earth? Why would a ceator of something allow interference right off the bat? If God was the most powerful being in the universe, why not squash Satan the second he became evil? If God knows the heart condition of all his creations, and he senses evil, he could stop the life force right then and there. It's like starting a business and the people you hire don't want to run it the way you intended. Do you let them run into the ground? No, you fire em and get people who will adhere to your standards. It's your business, you have that right. The same with God. He don't have to answer to us. We don't deserve to question anything. If he says no dissent, then by God(pun intended) there will be no dissent. Dissenters will be destroyed. Who are his creations to question that? It's his universe, he'll do whatever he damn well pleases with it.

Someone might say that no one would have free will as God intended if he did that. That don't make sense either. If God gave us free will, why is he setting man up to fail? That's not free will. That's like giving a condemned man freedom, but the rope is still around his neck. The further he tries to run, the more he chokes himself to death.

So why does God permit wickedness? Maybe there is no God to prevent wickedness. Maybe that's the answer.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu
    If God was the most powerful being in the universe, why not squash Satan the second he became evil?

Good point. God surely didn't take his time kicking Adam & Eve's asses out of the garden of eden, so why is he letting Satan run around creating evil?

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    Maybe there is no God to prevent wickedness. Maybe that's the answer.

That is the correct answer... everything that is going on is simply all of the parts of the universe interacting with each other according to the laws of physics. There is no greater plan... just everything moving, acting and reacting.

Just remember, the god of the bible is modeled after the culture of militant patriarchal desert nomads who went around slaughtering any populations they encountered... their god could not behave like anything other than a brutal selfish dictator who demands absolute obedience under the threat of death.

• Terry
    Terry

Here is what I always tell people.

If I sit down in a chair that was made by a furniture maker and the chair breaks I blame the furniture maker for his craftsmanship.

If I go to a tailor and he makes me a suit that doesn't fit; I blame the tailor.

If God makes humans and they create chaos...........?

I think a smart 14 year old could design a better human that God did.

Here are some helpful "improvements" for God to consider next time he creates life.

1.When a person thinks about doing something wrong they feel nauseated. The worse the sinful thought is; the more sick they physically feel.

2.If you actually DO something bad you get physically uglier.

Now, if somebody is sick and ugly; you know what their problem is!

Another point worth making. When a company has losses it is the executive in charge who is fired. When a team loses game after game it is the coach who is fired. So then, if Adam was really the "head" of the family and the "sin" was committed under his leadership; then, why is Eve blamed? How is it that Adam retains his job as "head" of the family when his one test of headship was a miserable failure?

Bah, humbug!

Terry

• Gadget
    Gadget
    How many times did we read or recite the same ole BS about allowing wicked people to try to rule themselves and failing? God's soverienty was brought into question and now he'll give Satan and man so many thousand years to give it a try. Yea, right.

The question was wether we needed to serve god to be able to succeed, and the official line is that Jehovah is letting it continue so that no one can be in doubt that it has failed and we do infact need him to guide us.

The problem is that this issue has already been resolved in the bible. Genesis 11:6,7 says, 6 After that Jehovah said: "Look! They are one people and there is one language for them all, and this is what they start to do. Why, now there is nothing that they may have in mind to do that will be unattainable for them. 7 Come now! Let us go down and there confuse their language that they may not listen to one another?s language, so there was nothing that would have been unattainable for them, so man didn't need Jehovah after all and the only reason we have all the problems we have today is because he got jealous and confused the languages. He's like a firefighter turned arsonist so he can run in and be a hero.

• zen nudist
    zen nudist

the other problem which occurred to me is that we have NO counter example of God's way being better than anything humans can invent... after all the game is rigged, if JWs are right, God allowed humans to try every conceivable government to show that we cant do it without him, but left us in a crippled state where we could not possibly have a fair shot at it.

and giving no example that God's ways are any better. the Jews certainly provided no great example of humanity under divine rule, and JWs have far too many mental problems and other problems to be an example that following God's ways produces better people, the only thing I have found about JWs is that they are better liars about themselves then others... they hide their faults and flaws better by working hard to pretend they are doing God's will in public while doing the exact same things as everyone else behind everyones back.

as to why permit wickedness... who says God is perfect besides the authors of the bible who also report that a mere man made God repent of Evil [exodus 32:14]

• Pole
    Pole

If I had been Adam - the first man and if God had shown me somehow all the human suffering that would follow as a result of my eating the forbidden fruit, then guess what I would have done?

I'd have killed Eve and then committed suicide.

And what if God hadn't let me do it? Then he would've been to blame for all that mess that followed not me.

And what if I'd committed suicide and he'd resurrected me to help him "fulfill his will"? Then he'd be double guilty!

Or, I'd have tried killing the serpent first???

What would you have done? You don't need to answer...

Pole

• gumby
    gumby
    I think a smart 14 year old could design a better human that God did.

Damn right he could......such as puttin a mans nutsack inside him like ovaries in a woman so's when he gets out of the shower and looks at his behind in the mirror, he don't look like a damn dog!

I hate that when that happens!

Undercover,

You made some simple yet powerful statements concerning a powerful god who would not let his name and creation be trampled on by two dipshits and a snake.

Gumby

• robhic
    robhic

Reading Job made me question what the motivation really was. Satan places basically a "bar-bet" with jehovah and jehovah takes the bait, makes poor Job's life a living hell all to prove a point to the debil! Seems jehovah would be a better person than that.

He coulda told beelzebub to take a hike and that he (jehovah) didn't plan on being his bitch anytime soon and making a bet with him. If jehovah was all-knowing then he already knew Job would stay faithful and subservient to him so their bet was unnecessary. It was also sadistic, cruel, childish, petty, small and just plain chickenshit!

You'd think the supposed creator of the entire universe would have a little better character than that, eh?

• Sweetp0985
    Sweetp0985

Sorry so lazy but I remembered what I had put on another thread and in agreement with robhic...i will paste the following....

One day when talking to my brother about biblical things he said in layman terms (hoping God doesn't strike me down right now as I type this) that God made "a bet" with Satan to see if Job would weaken and "curse God and die". We all know Job didn't do this but God knowing all things already knew Job wasn't going to weaken but allowed him to go through all this anyway. He did get his blessings in the end, but my question is, if God already knows who's going to make him happy and who he is going to have to destroy in the end, WHY NOT GO AHEAD AND GET IT OVER WITH???

It's like a scene from a movie where the person is tortured until he gives some info or dies or escapes. God already knows how the end is going to be, just go ahead and kill the evil ones, and let the meek possess the earth. Kill Satan and be done with it. When he got mad with the people during Noah's time he caused the flood. Then Sodom and Gomorrah destroyed. Ok then he sends Jesus Christ to die for all sinners. So if all sinners are accounted for by Jesus Christ death just go ahead and KILL SATAN or lock him the abyss or where ever he's going after the 1000 yrs of peace. Why does God test us imperfect humans like this and he knows we are weak? To win a bet with Satan just like with Job. He wants to prove to Satan that with all the tricks and temptations he gets people with some are still going to remain faithful to God. So why keep this going? I feel in my heart that I may not make it into this "new system" or "paradise" or even have the "heavenly hope" so for those that are going to be in those places go ahead and end it for their sakes. Why continue to let new lives(babies) enter into this wicked world everyday to suffer with all the evilness thats only getting worse and worse everyday?

And if JW's are the only true religion approved by God go ahead and wipe out everybody else or make everyone be a JW. I mean when they were building the tower of Babel(sp) didn't he confuse the languages so that the tower could stop progress? So if he was able to do that, he could make everyone be a JW if he wanted to.

This may be a bad example but its like Kingpin dealer letting lil pip squeak dealer get all the sales he can and Kingpin knowing full well he can get rid of lil pip squeak whenever he wants too but allows him to continue making his lil sales until finally he gets tired of lil pip squeak and then sends his "right hand man" to go get rid of him.

It's times like this when I just sit back and look at the world and the situation its in and wonder why do I want to stay here? Why do I want to continue here? But I have to stay here and suffer along with everyone else until Jehovah sends Jesus to get rid of lil pip squeak.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit