Can You Help Me Identify This Mystery Object?

by Englishman 24 Replies latest jw friends

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

Doesn't matter it's broken, the cork isn't even attached anymore.

• Satanus
    Satanus

It could work on a sphere, or on a boat, let's say to verify the amount of curvature.

S

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

An industrial boiler thermostat?

HS

• Terry
    Terry

The object is a CORK. But, what the other gizmo is next to the cork I can't say. But, thanks for using it for scale.

Terry

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

It's a piece off an old tachometer.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    It's a gizmo to measure profile, either concave or convex. As you turn the big nob, the numbers dial gives hieght or deapth, compared to the surrounding area.

I have to agree with SS.

If you rotate the knob so that the upper surface is in line with Zero on the scale, the center pin should be flush with the three exterior pins.

• Gerard
    Gerard
    It's a gizmo to measure profile, either concave or convex. As you turn the big nob, the numbers dial gives hieght or deapth, compared to the surrounding area.

Ditto.

• zion sleeping
    zion sleeping

Without a doubt!!! it is a tubbler to a safe!!!! mystery solved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• zion sleeping
    zion sleeping

Retraction!!!!!! upon looking at the pics again, I retract what I said...... But I will say this I do believe it is some type of device to measure/calbrate...something, being in the process control field it looks as if it can be used in that capacity.

• Englishman
    Englishman
    If you rotate the knob so that the upper surface is in line with Zero on the scale, the center pin should be flush with the three exterior pins.

That's it, almost.

If I rotate the knob so that the disc aligns with the zero mark on the upright vernier scale and the disc is also at its zero mark when aligned with the vernier, or more easily, both show zero, then the centre pin is perfectly in line with the 3 fixed points.

The knurled knob below is a lock nut, obviously.

Yup, it does measure curvature!

Many, many thanks!

Englishman.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit