Can You Help Me Identify This Mystery Object?

by Englishman 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Englishman
    Englishman

This has got me beat.

Some weeks ago, my son's fiancee's father (phew!) gave me this object as a curio to keep on a display shelf. He said that he hadn't a clue as to what it was. It originally was kept in a school science lab. It has the makers name engraved on the circular disc as:

Philip Harris Ltd. Birmingham

Since then dozens of people have tried to identify the purpose of the object. No-one can say for sure, so I'm hoping for some input, please.

I've just taken these pics and put in a wine cork as a size reference.

Englishman.

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

It's a Brass Thingamabob!

Actually you can contact the manufacturer, and they would be able to tell you. Below is their website....

http://www.philipharris.co.uk/

Good Luck!

• Robdar
    Robdar

Looks like a pressure gauge to me.

Or, maybe a safe lock.

Robyn

• Satanus
    Satanus

It's a gizmo to measure profile, either concave or convex. As you turn the big nob, the numbers dial gives hieght or deapth, compared to the surrounding area.

S

• DireStraitJacket
    DireStraitJacket

this is a totally random guess..
    if its made of copper/bronze, it would be a decent heat conductor.. and it has a screwy thingy and a thermometer, it might have been used to messure what effect increasing pressure would have on temperature..

then again I barely passed science

• Englishman
    Englishman

Thank you.

I believe it's 1950's because much of the other stuff present was of that age.

I wondered if it might be a device for measuring a sphere? The 3 prongs sat over a sphere while the central screw was wound down to touch the sphere, then readings taken of the central disc combined with the upright vernier scale?

Englishman.

• BONEZZ
    BONEZZ

It's a Smurf-o-meter..... GET RID OF IT NOW. IT'S DEMONIZED!

-BONEZZ

• shera
    shera

The second one,lookes like a thermos .to regulate heat in a persons home.

• Crazy151drinker
    Crazy151drinker

Im going to have to agree with St. Smarticus

• Seven
    Seven

Okay Mike...

This sonic transducer, it is I suppose some kind of audio-vibratry-physio-molecular transport device?-Dr. Everett V. Scott, R,H. Picture Show

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit