Any one got a 440 engine ?

by kls 12 Replies latest jw friends

• kls
    kls

really i am looking for a 440 big block for a 68 dodge charger. Now i have a very tired 383. For those who know engines would it be better to rebuild the 383 or replace it with a 440. I am having a hard time finding a big block motor .

• Undaunted Danny
    Undaunted Danny

This dates me,the 383 was strong they put (inboard) in a million boats.

I had the 'slant six' in my boat never die.......

• little witch
    little witch

If you cant find a 440, then a rebuild would probobly be your best bet. JC Whitney should carry all the after market parts you need. (you could bore out the original engine and get just as much HP).

Good luck on your project!

• TrailBlazer04
    TrailBlazer04

Try Jasper Engines in Jasper Indiana...I know they have a website, I just can't think of it right now...you might also want to check MOPAR websites...the 440 is a screamer...the 383 ain't bad, might be cheaper to rebuild it...new cam, pistons, lifters, run headers...my mom had a '73 Plymouth Fury II with a 383...it was way fun to drive.

TB

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

"That thing got a Hemi?" LOL

• little witch
  • hillbilly
    hillbilly

is it a "b" or "rb" head block? Junkyard 440 B blocks are getting hard to get nowdays... but many show up in Mopar station wagons and the full-size "land yacht" sedans.... Mopar builds a ton of hi-po parts that will work with that 383 too.. and if the numbers match I'd build that 383 and stick it right back in the Charger.

Hill----(no subsitute for Cubic inches class)..

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

It's getting hard to find a virgin block. You might look at the aftermarket if you have the bucks. Places like Jim's https://www.jimsautoparts.com/blocks.htm and other will have blocks and crate engines for sale. And you can always buy a genuine Mopar crate engine from Chrysler ... right up to 528 cubic enches of Hemi power.

Either way ... you gotta top it off with the Six Pack. My uncle had a 69 charger with the 440/Six Pack when I was a kid. That car was an absolute blast!

• kls
    kls

Littlewitch if worse comes to worse i will have to have it rebuilt but it is not matching numbers so if i can i would like to rip it out. Thanks for the web site i will check it out

Hill, it is a block but not matching numb

Trailb.i have checked some web sites and have not come up with much

Thanks guys for all your help this car means a lot to me.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

if the cars not original "do what needs doin"...the mopar big blocks of any size can be made to make beucoup horspower with "factory parts"... if the 383 block you have is sound...they dont really take a lot of machine work... and some high quality intake, exhaust, and good cam and springs will make a screamer for ya....

Pound for pound the mopars are cheaper to get horsepower out of than small block Chevies evet thought about being.

The last RB motor I built made 400+ HP on pump gas... and cost less total than the cam, springs, head work, and valves I put into the SB Chevy it replaced....

The Dodge made all its power at a lower RPM ....the bottom end of that motor lasted 'forever'... on a lightly re-worked stock crank and some good bearings...

Made a long term Chevy man a believer...especially for my "go fast" play car.

Hill--- (Bowties are still my daily ride though)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit