Watchtower Business Model

by little witch 25 Replies latest jw friends

• little witch
    little witch

Did you ever wonder why the watchtower fusses over such silly and minute rules? Things like smoking, dress, music, dance, movies, language, what company you keep, what and how you celebrate?

Let's consider a few factors. The average jw member is really at the bottom of the totem poll so to speak. They are governed in every aspect of their thoughts and lives most directly by elders of their congregations. These are after all the eyes and ears of the next up in the heirarchy, the overseers. Boy do folks get nervous when they come to town! Everyone dresses better, the car gets washed, children sit up in their seats a little straighter.

Because, those overseers are much closer to the big dogs....yes the faithful and discreet slave, the governing body! This elusive, mysterious group of men who are seldom seen, but always obeyed.

But let us consider how it felt to be one of the members. You are made to feel subservient and tiny amoungst these great ones. Aren't you told time and time again that it is your duty to do the "field work"? You feel like a number. You feel dejected, you feel small and unappreciated. Surely you are more important and deserve more credit than you are given!

What is a member to do to feel more important and needed????? Well, amazingly enough the watchtower has provided the answer friends!

Keep on the watch! Are you humble? Does your dress reflect your love of jehovah? Are you stumbling your brothers? Watch out for members in your own congregations! Apostacy has set in! Yes! Right here amoungst us!

Paranoia and nervousness takes over the congregation, it is brother against brother as hem lines are checked by a quick glance. Brother fuzzy needs a haircut, sister frown all the time needs to control her four year old!

These silly escapades and judgements go on at every meeting. They are encouraged and wanted. And why? Because it fits the desires of the watchtower empire.

Ultimately, the watchtower is a publishing company out to make a profit...yes I know they are a "non-profit" organization, but that doesnt mean they are not making money. It simply means they do not have to pay taxes.

The watchtower has no use at all for members with everyday problems like trying to feed their kids, or keeping a roof over their heads...Got a problem? Get over it. Keep your eyes on the prize. Don't let ANYTHING take you away from your purpose of making converts and collecting money for the WWW (world wide work).

You see, it is a lesson on efficiency. It is a business model. Eliminate all that do not contribute to the greater good (the bottom dollar). Members with problems or needs are not contributing to the goal. Eliminate them...It is a weakness that must be cut out like a cancer.

The tower is small in comparison to other denominations, but they sure are efficient. They are smart cookies those running this org....all "waste" is cut out on a congregational level by paranoid powerless members (starting with their own families) and moving quickly along to fellow congregants. It costs the watchtower zero to have this done. What a precious gift huh?

Tit for tat....The lowely members gain prestige and importance by improper judgement of their fellow brothers, and the tower focuses only on those who do their service....brilliant!

• little witch
    little witch

Ok, viewed 22 times and no comments......

Any opines?

• Atilla
    Atilla

No offense, but perhaps it's a bit one sided, your presentation. I agree with many of the points you make but I don't think it is that clear cut.

• XQsThaiPoes
    XQsThaiPoes

Ultimately, the watchtower is a publishing company out to make a profit...yes I know they are a "non-profit" organization, but that doesnt mean they are not making money. It simply means they do not have to pay taxes.

No they are not to make a profit. THat is what makes people so embittered. After all their toiling no indiviual has anything to show for it. The watchtower is a piece of paper that owns things. It is non profit so it does not pay dividend or share holders or even a big cheese at the top. Like an alter to god what ever you put forth is consumed by the flame. The flame gets bigger but returns nothing except heat, flash, and smoke.

JWs is only a fan base and distribution net work.No different than the kids that hang out in comic book stores. The Co is really the only watchtower man most JW can talk to and meet. And just like a politician he rarely even awnsers what you really want to know unless painted into a corner.

The reasonthe watchtower trys to put itself into your life is because it is a consumer brand. Most brands only want you to engage in activities sponsored by them. Notice the difference between the assembly model of behavior (being told to dine afterwards, dress inpressively, and leave large tips) vs the more meager at home model.

• findingme
    findingme

Yes, it was the efficiency and minute details of the "underdog" organization that attracted my family in the first place. The hope of everlasting life was another attraction---and of serving God in a way he pleased.

I no longer believe God is concerned with little details....I believe he cares more for what is in your heart. I also believe the condition of the heart is reflected in the attitude toward other people......Respect for other human beings is extremely important.

I made the same mistake everyone else in that organization did: please other men, ie, elders, oversears, etc., as if they were the god I was worshipping.

Not any more.....

---'Me of the "glad-not-to-be-a-hypocrite-any-more" class

• little witch
    little witch

Fair enough, Atilla. Thanks for your comment.

X,

Oh but just as other businesses, there is a top who benifits financially (private jets, alaskan vacations, etc) People do not devote themselves to a corporation in this country and in this day and age without a benifit. Dont fool yourself.

Findingme, (welcome) and thanks for your comments. Yes, we have all been there. Striving is the word that comes to mind.

• Terry
    Terry

A business turns a profit for the owners and investors or else, it is a failed business.

A corporation protects owner's from lawsuits and damages by creating an entity to be sued rather than a person.

A religion is difficult, if not impossible, to sue because it exists outside of society proper. It is a land of make believe that has carte blanche and tax exemption.

It is not difficult to figure out what money is leftover on the sale of books and magazines if you know the cost of producing them. What is not clear (because of reporting exemptions) is who, as individuals, controls the money and for what purposes.

Judge Rutherford lived in a mansion. The mansion was built under false religious pretenses. It was said to be built for the resurrection of "Ancient worthies" such as Abel, Abraham, Lot, David, etc". The date predicted for the resurrection was 1925. The event did not happen. But, the house was built four years after the event did not happen!

What the Watchtower financial empire is all about cannot be discovered clearly without documents. We know the money is invested in stocks. We know what some of those public stocks are and what kinds of businesses they represent. But, we don't really know the whole iceberg; only the tip.

Other religions use money to set up charities for the underprivileged. Other relgions build hospitals, schools and colleges. Other religions set up research institutes for medical advancement or to cure illness. Other religions pay for television time to reach millions right in their home with the messege. But, none of those expenditures apply to Jehovah's Witnesses' Business affairs, do they? Why? Clearly the desire to help others in any way is not contained in the "business model". No further tax advantages can accrue from such institutions.

Not even a single scholarship for promising and talented JW youngsters is offered by the society. If a local brother offered one privately, it would be squealched.

All the money from all the Kingdom Halls and all the publishers for all the books, magazines and related materials goes toward something we do not see and are not allowe3d to know about.

I don't pretend to know. But, I am curious.

"Religion is a snare and a racket." That is what Judge Joe Rutherford proclaimed. I think he must have been an expert. He got that one right.

Terry

• XQsThaiPoes
    XQsThaiPoes

Oh but just as other businesses, there is a top who benifits financially (private jets, alaskan vacations, etc) People do not devote themselves to a corporation in this country and in this day and age without a benifit. Dont fool yourself.

If you are head of a multi billion dollar holdings company, and all you have to show for it is a ride in a private jet, and a vacation in alaska you are living less than large. That sounds impressive to the average joe like me, but considering what they control the pope has more "bling bling". Trust me these guys are all poor. If they got fired today I would almost bet you all I have most boardmembers would have less than 1 million dollars in assets in their "other pants". Maybe we should ask ray franz how much jehovah swag he got to carry out with him?

Not even a single scholarship for promising and talented JW youngsters is offered by the society.

They give them away all the time. Unfortunately you have to go to bethel and then they have to decide you are loyal enought to devout your professional services to them once you get out of school and you wont spill the beans.

• little witch
    little witch

Thanks Terri for your comments.

Excuse, dear....I cannot excuse you....you are a strange one....someone who tries to apologize for the borg, everything from protecting sexual abusers to financial matters. No matter how obvious the facts, you speak up for the borg. And you know what? You sound just as retarded as they do....

As a friend of mine said in regards to you, " I dont know you, I dont care to know You".

I feel the same way...

• bem
    bem

LW: I want to comment not so much on the buisness part of this thread as to the things you mentioned about, Being sharper to impress the C.overseer.Only a person on our situation would acknowledge the way everyone acts when it's CO visit time I started noticing that about three years before I left the congo I was in originally. Only best and polished speakers were chosen etc. The first CO. was very sincere and hard working as far as I could possibly know.Then the new one with miss hi-and-mighty wife in tow came in and allienated pioneers and others on down the line.A woman I was really close to at the time who had been baptized twenty + years said she had never been so hurt by an *overzealoussmartassCO * my words not hers. Things I know about this CO.He got an appartment built at the largest congo in the district,so his wife would not have to go to every visit with him, Fair enough maybe,Made a point to stay with only one family when at local visit.Would request that whoever feed him take them out to eat since his wife was used to certain foods and found it hard to eat some of the cooking they had been served so that way she could select her own items....Things I heard,That they were really wealthy,perhaps explains champaign taste.

The fact that dress hems were so closely watched wouldn't of bothered me so much if meant all hems and not just let go for a select few.

Also something that just blew me away for ignorance (and I have mentioned this before I hope not in a thread I Apologise if I have) I remember elderbetterthanallofyou shook hands with I believe W. Henschel.And after words saying he would never be able to wash that hand again. not just in a kidding way but he was all giddy and gushing over it. I was embarrassed by his actions and words.he was treating him and acting the way people do over celebrities, so what I thought was a no no.The none of us are better than any one else idea guess was said but not lived.

Bems often confused and blown away by ignorance

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit