Meeting Family after many years

by Thirdson 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

Next week the Thirdson family is traveling to Thirdson's country of birth. We will be attending the wedding of a nephew and will meet nearly all the family at the event. This includes two JW siblings and their families who I have not seen in almost 10 years. It is not a JW wedding, thankfully. Unfortunately, my JW parents will not be attending, having rejected attempts at reconcilation with the sibling whose son is getting married.

Mrs Thirdson and I are not staying with family. My parents who have the largest home in the area are accomodating the JW side of the family and claim they don't have a problem with the rest of the family attending the wedding. We instead, are staying on a sheep farm about mid-distance between my parents and the wedding location. (I have other issues about staying with my parents anyway.)

Very few of my family have met Mrs Thirdson and I haven't met the wife and daughter of one of my younger siblings so it will be nice to get acquainted.

It will be fun, it is our vacation afterall. I am a little concerned at meeting some family members but at least in the past few weeks I have exchanged e-mail with siblings who have had little to do with me since I quit the JW religion.

I will tell more on my return.

3rd

PS Mike, I still plan on traveling to your locale and will call you.

• Gadget
    Gadget

Does that mean your going to be in my area? If you fancy meeting up for a beer let me know, or if you don't fancy a hotel I've got a spare room. If I remember right, it must be c getting married? Pass on my regards please!

Paul

• little witch
    little witch

Thirdson,

Just wanted to wish you well on your trip. I hope that only good prevails for you and yours! I am so very happy that you have a MRS. THIRDSON to support you, and help you out during the wedding and travels.

The major thing that hurts me so about the jw's is how much they are convinced that they are right about every religious matter, even to the detriment of their precious family.

Thankfully, the wedding is not to be in a kingdom hall, that would be awful for all of you. At least you will have some joy in the ceromony without the relatives feeling "backed-up" to harrass you.

Have fun on your trip, and let us know how it turns out, ok?

• AuntieJane
    AuntieJane

Thirdson, have a fun time and make the best of things. I just returned from a family reunion held in the area where both my parents were born. We drove 1500 miles round trip to attend and it was great to connect again with cousins, etc. It was not your everyday boring family reunion; my husband had a good time, too!

In spite of the JW thing, and the differences in all of us...family contact is SO important. I was told ahead of time not to expect to see a certain cousin because he has a drug problem and was not speaking to his mom (in her 80's) etc. How good it was to see him there, with siblings and mom. I have to hope that this reconnection will somehow lead him to mend his ways.

Mine was not the circumstance you will be facing, but still...family gatherings are super! Have a great time!

• patio34
    patio34

Hi Thirdson!

I hope your vacation goes great! It's nice to hear from you again too!

Pat

• Englishman
    Englishman
    PS Mike, I still plan on traveling to your locale and will call you.

Excellent! Do you have my number?

Englishman.

• Simon
    Simon

I've still got to pick up with some non-JW family since leaving the borg. It's not easy but they tend to be a lot easier and forgiving than the other way round.

Some of them I only remember seeing when I was little visitong my grandparents

• 4JWY
    4JWY
    We instead, are staying on a sheep farm.....

Have a wonderful time !

Did you say that's the "Black Sheep" farm?

Enjoy!

• Gopher
    Gopher

I hope you and Mrs. Thirdson will have a very enjoyable trip across the pond!

And anyone who snubs you and the Missus, well it's their loss! You'll still have a good time regardless.

Will Mrs.Thirdson get a turn behind the wheel, driving on the left side of the road?

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

How wonderful for you and Mrs. T!!! Keep a positive attitude and enjoy every moment. I'm so happy for you...

hugs,

Annie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit