Once You Start Getting Embarrassed That People Know You're A JW It's 2 Late

by minimus 32 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

I always listened to JWs say that people were mean to them at work....because they were JWs. I found out later through a non-JW source how one sister acted at work, very combative and lazy. This woman was surprised because I had been so "sweet" and hard-working. So...

I would never say I was a JW. I wanted people to form an opinion of me based on me, my personality, my actions, my words. It was quite easy to avoid the topic. I never brought WT publications to work, I sidestepped the issue of birthdays and holidays. It was easy because many people didn't participate, not interested, no money, not religious, and the PC atmosphere of a government office.

I joined the birthday group this year. All I have to do is sign the card, and bring a treat. Christmas is no problem because of the separation of church and state. (Laurie Ann Gaylor watches over us here).

I don't go announcing to people that I am an abuse survivor; why a JW survivor. But just like with abuse, if someone needs help coping or needs information, I can give it privately.

Blondie

• ellderwho
    ellderwho

Great thread Min.

Its amazing we (former ones) seem to have a common feeling to shred the control of the Tower, and try to regain our identity, and it seeems even while we were in, we really were'nt "in" The Towers reach in ones life, touches every aspect, its unbelievable.

E.

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

Mmmmm... not really. Our high school was fairly inundated with them, and our KH was fairly liberal, so we weren't really labeled as wierd so much as others might have been. We even went to the dances with each other, and then split up and danced with the worldly kids. When I was older, if it came up in the conversation I wasn't really embarassed: it provided a foot in the door to counter-witnessing, which I do with much joy.

Country Girl

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit