Once You Start Getting Embarrassed That People Know You're A JW It's 2 Late

by minimus 32 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

For many new Witnesses, there was a certain pride associated with being "a Jehovah's Witness". They LOVED telling people they couldn't salute the flag, vote, take blood, have a hangover, have oral sex....You get the idea. Once it dawns on JWs how dumb and ridicouolus they sound, it's the beginning of the end. Their own brains start working. They themselves don't want to tell others their Witnesses because they don't want to be embarrassed! .........Your thoughts on this?

• dh
    dh

i was pretty much born a jw and was always embarrassed about it. i guess it was always just going to be a matter of time before i did one!

• ellderwho
    ellderwho

Embarrassed?

How bout going in sales er' field service and meeting someone from grade school. That was the biggest fear of eminent embarrassement to the enth degree!!!!!! Because I felt I was a undercover Dub while in public. I absolutely loathed the Jw persona. I just wanted to fit in.

E.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Yup... all my JW life I was embarrassed when people found out I was a JW or saw me doing JW things.

So glad I'm out!!!

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I was raised in it and was embarrassed the whole time. The whole not celebrating holidays, not saluting, going door to door thing. Others didn't have to know a thing about the other dumb beliefs. If I try to recall an embarassing memory, the one that readily comes to mind is when a schizophrenic some ppl called "Radar Man" (because he believed a secret machine in a nearby mountain transmitted a ray that would steal thoughts from inside his head) was studying with the Witnesses and he saw that I went to the meetings.... and then one time he saw I was on the bus, began to harrass me, and then announce to everyone on the bus that I was, in fact, a Jehovah's Witness even tho I wasn't preaching to everyone as I should have been. He just stood up and made a little speech about how everyone should know that I was one of those Witnesses who goes door to door. And this was from a time I was trying to silently leave and wasn't particularly happy about being stuck in the Witnesses.....

• kls
    kls

It is very embarrassing to me that i was so dumb but even more embarrassing when people find out my husband is still one. I want to hide my face in shame because you can see what they are thinking , so when he is not at Birthday parties or some other event he is not allowed to attend i make lame excuses why he is not here.

• jaredg
    jaredg

i was alwyas embarrassed of being a dub

• undercover
    undercover

I too was always embarassed when people found out I was a dub. Even though I grew up in it, I never felt right being one. Even when I tried to be a good dub, deep down something was wrong. I just didn't want to admit it. My biggest regret is the twenty years I lost trying to be a good dub despite my embarassement at being one.

• minimus
    minimus

See..........When it hits you that you ARE weird------you don't want anyone to know what you are/were. I now tell people I was a Witness in a "past life".

• Purza
    Purza

When I was in 8th grade we were going door to door after the DC one evening (remember those service days after the convention?) and we came across this guy that I was "in love with" from school and I was MORTIFIED that 1) he saw me in a dress and 2) going door to door. I never spoke a word to him (I was pretty shy), but I will never forget that sick feeling in my stomach when he opened the door. Funny thing is -- I ran away and left my friend to deal with it. (Hey I was 13 y/o).

I never had pride that I was a JW -- I never wore my badge after the conventions, etc.

Now I tell people that I am slowly overcoming being raised in a cult-like religious environment.

Purza

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit