IF MARTIN LUTHER WAS A JW AS WT CLAIMS

by badboy 24 Replies latest jw friends

• badboy
    badboy

Then his support of the Peasants revolt must have had JEHOOVER'S approval.

When did his church became apostate ?

If his church become apostate,could same thing happened to jws?

• dh
    dh

i've never heard that about dr. king, but then i don't hear a lot, where does the wt claim that he is a jw?

• joenobody
    joenobody

DH

Martin Luther was a Reformer in the 1500s, not to be confused with the Civil Rights activist.

• dh
    dh

ah okay, that would explain it then, sorry for the confusion!

• blondie
    blondie

Where did the WT say that Luther was a JW? Hmmmm.....sources, sources, badboy.

Blondie

Are you thinking of the Bible Student thought stated here?

"And by the messenger of the congregation in Laodicea write." These words in Revelation 3:14 open the message of reproof which God had to give to the Laodicean, or seventh and last, period of the church's history on earth. The most of Bible scholars agree that the messages in the early part of the book of Revelation, ostensibly delivered to seven churches in Asia Minor, are really intended for the Church at large during its seven stages or periods from Pentecost until the complete ending of the Gospel age. To limit these important reproofs and commendations to the small congregations in Asia Minor (at only two of which believers can now be found) would seem to give them prominence somewhat out of proportion to their size and activity, even in the early church. A careful scanning of the experiences of the church has convinced many thousands of earnest Bible students that Paul, the apostle, was the messenger to and of the Ephesus stage of the church; St. John, that of the Smyrna period; Arius in Pergamos; that Waldo bore the torch of truth in the Thyatira days; that Wycliffe was the outstanding champion of basic Bible teachings in the time of Sardis; that Martin Luther sounded the call to rally round God's Word in the momentous Philadelphia days, lasting from the Reformation until 1874; and that Charles T. Russell's was the devoted hand that has swept the harp of God during these latter Laodicean hours of trial, testing, and denudation in church and world.

http://www.food4jws.org/faq/ctr.htm

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

I doubt if the JWs ever claimed that Martin Luther was a JW.

However, they have been known to write favorable articles about early religious thinkers who supported some of their ideas - like Luther and Isaac Newton. They seemed to be implying that true knowledge has never been absent on the earth since Jesus died. It always seemed to be kind of a backhanded implication, never an outright statement.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I think the reasoning is that he was the first to break away from the "evil catholic church"... therefore he was not part of baylon the great.

In the eyes of the WTS, just as Russel had almost everything wrong, Martin Luther also had some things wrong, but that did not mean that his motives were not pure.

Too bad they won't apply the same line of reasoning to those who question the current reachings of the WTS. What a load of BS.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Don't they have a statement about how "Jehovah's witnesses" have a history going back thousands of years with many faithful ppl being "witnesses of Jehovah," naming Martin Luther as one of those who stood for truth....I think it was from a time before they capitalized "witnesses". I can't find the statement but there is an older one that is similar:

"The great Pyramid of Egypt, standing as a silent and manimate witness of the Lord, is a messenger; and its testimony speaks with great eloquence concerning the devine plan (Isaiah 19:19).. Arius .. Waldo .. John Wycliffe .. Martin Luther [were all] part of God's Organization" (WT, 5/12/1925, pp. 148-149).
  • willyloman
    willyloman

Another great catch, Blondie!

And Leolaia: Isn't that fascinating, to see God's Organization capitalized all the way back in 1925? Emphasis on "the organization" is one of the few things that hasn't changed in 80 years; that says something, doesn't it?

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

Seems like I remember some intimating that Abraham Lincoln was a Witness, too. Hmm..mmm.

Country Girl

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit